Dh saw a terrible (1 car accident) this morning (yay for side curtain airbags!)...

Starlight

Senior Community Member
This is 3rd party, through dh, so I may not have all the details right.

Oddly enough, it's pretty icy in this neck of the woods today... Anyway, dh was on his way to work this morning and on the opposite side of the road (eastbound), a bicycle tire flew off the roof of car #1... the car behind him (#2) swerved to miss the tire and wound up rolling across the median and across the westbound lanes, finally coming to rest just off the road.

Dh slammed on his brakes and went immediately to help her. He says that if he had been just a smidgen faster, he would have smashed right into him, it was that close. The car - a newer Nissan, with the side curtain airbags, was lying on it's passenger side and was totally smashed up, windshield and all. There was no movement inside. Dh is military, and works (occasionally) mortuary. He was certain that he was walking up to a fatality.

(I have to admit that I almost laughed when dh described this next part.) Anyway, dh walked up to the car and was shouting "Hello, Are you okay?!" He heard a noise, like a muffled groan, and looked in the window... and there she was "cocooned" by all of her airbags. And she said she was fine!!! He told her not to move (since the car was on it's pass side, and she was up in the air.) but she unbelted her seatbelt anyway and fell. LOL She was disoriented (didn't realize that she had been sitting sideways) but was still fine.

I don't know how she got out of the car, but dh called her hubby and her work to let them know what had happened. Her hubby is military as well. Dh stayed until he arrived, and was amazed that the dude with the unrestrained tire actually came back as well. The woman plans to buy a lottery ticket tonight, she's feeling quite lucky. All she needed was just a few small bandaids, though I imagine she'll be pretty sore in the next couple of days.

And fortunately, dh has no boss to care that he was (quite a bit) late, since he is the boss. And he wants me to go out and buy a new vehicle w/ side curtain airbags for me and the kiddies. LOL

ADS

Starlight

Senior Community Member
SPB, he said car - I'll ask for clarification later.

Susan, I'm not buying a car. Can't afford it. No way, no how. LOL But if I were, I'd buy a Sienna, I think. I need to have a van. My plan is to keep my current (POS) van until it hits 100k. We're at 66k right now and it's an '01. It might be awhile. LOL

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Wow, glad she's ok! What a scare for everyone.

I've got an '01 Nissan and it's in the shop right now for its 100k servicing. And I desperately want something with more airbags. Not to mention the newer cars have the airbag sensor in the driver's seat so if you're tiny and sit close (like I do) then you won't get quite the same explosion in your face as someone who sits further back. I hope to have something before the year is out. Probably something during the '08 MY closeouts.

Wendy

Wynters*Mom

Wow! What a blessing that she is okay. We had an accident in October and rolled several times from swerving (but we were in an SUV). We landed upside down in a ravine and I can tell you it's VERY disorienting. I knew we were upside down, but other than that, I couldn't tell you what was front, back or anything else. All I could tell is where my dd's voice was coming from and I knew that was the back.

Thanks for posting the positive story!
Have a great day,
Scarlett

lovinwaves

was the nissan a car or an SUV? just wondering since it rolled from swerving.

This was the first thing I thought of too. I am also wondering if it had vehicle stability control (but I know you probably won't be able to find that out starlight LOL)

Wow, how scary! :eek: Glad your Dh was there to help her!

Thanks for sharing the story. I am going to an airbag seminar next week and am very excited to learn about all the new airbags that are coming out! :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC