Sunshade??

laurenrachey

So my child screams unholy murder when the sun grazes the side of his face in the car. :eek: He is in the middle of my Ford Explorer. I have window clings up on the windows on either side of him, but the sun cuts in through the front windshield and our front side windows.

I was looking at the orbit toddler seat thread and saw the pictures of the seat (scroll way down), and it made me think to ask...

Is there any type of sunshade that can be used with carseats? No tinting my windows isn't gonna happen. We don't have the money + our car is old and we're looking to get rid of it in the next year or two. At which point I refuse to get anything that doesn't have tinted windows!

ADS

Morganthe

Lol -- compared to the orbit $900!! :eek: :eek: -- it was only $170 to get all my windows tinted INCLUDING the Sun roof. It's even certified solar reducing stuff. :p Well spent here in TX -- saves gas & helps the A/C out. It could be a selling point for your vehicle, if you really want some ;)

You can purchase cling-on sun tints from Walmart/Target baby sections or auto parts stores for under $8 per sheet. They do help a lot. I used those when dd was a baby before I invested with the window tinting on our German car.

heathernick06

My son hates the sun getting in his eyes too. Our car doesn't have tinted windows, but I do carry a light fleece blanket in the car because it has been so cold lately. I've found that he likes to put it over his head to keep the sun out. You're son may hate having a blanket covering his face, but it seems to work well for us :)

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
We had this sunshade when DS first went into his convertible. It seems its design has changed somewhat than when we had it. Mine has only one stay, now it looks like it has two or three.

I don't know what the gurus here would think of it. Mine is all fabric with just the one stay to keep it popped up. I didn't feel it was unsafe. We don't use it now because DS wants to see, and the sunshade seriously restricts his view. He doesn't like the sun in his eyes either, though.

HTH!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Well SKJP makes the Seat Shade They show it on their Radian, so I assume it is safe to use on the Radian in the very least. If it's not safe to use on the Radian, then they have to stop making crap accessories that they don't recommend for use on their own car seats (so what makes them think I'd use them on any other? GRRR).

Not sure if it would help you much though if the problem is the sun coming in through the front windshield. I guess it depends on what angle it comes in and bothers your child.

laurenrachey

We had this sunshade when DS first went into his convertible. It seems its design has changed somewhat than when we had it. Mine has only one stay, now it looks like it has two or three.

I don't know what the gurus here would think of it. Mine is all fabric with just the one stay to keep it popped up. I didn't feel it was unsafe. We don't use it now because DS wants to see, and the sunshade seriously restricts his view. He doesn't like the sun in his eyes either, though.

HTH!

That looks like what I'm talking about...I just wish it had a little visor that came down a little (like a stroller canopy). I guess I was wondering what everyone thought of them also, as far as safety goes. I mean I'm sure they are less than a pound...

He has sunglasses, but he still raves like a lunatic :rolleyes:

They should just make something that goes back and forth like a stroller shade/canopy!

minismom

Lol -- compared to the orbit $900!! :eek: :eek: -- it was only $170 to get all my windows tinted INCLUDING the Sun roof. It's even certified solar reducing stuff. :p Well spent here in TX -- saves gas & helps the A/C out. It could be a selling point for your vehicle, if you really want some ;)

You can purchase cling-on sun tints from Walmart/Target baby sections or auto parts stores for under $8 per sheet. They do help a lot. I used those when dd was a baby before I invested with the window tinting on our German car.

How dark to you have to tint to make a difference and do you tint the front windowns too or just the back? TIA

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
How dark to you have to tint to make a difference and do you tint the front windowns too or just the back? TIA
I'd check with your state first before you tint (maybe the police department or DMV?) as tinting may not be allowed. Where I live, only factory tinting is allowed, anything else is a ticketable offense and they will make you remove the tinting. Especially the front driver's/passenger windows (potential driver visibility issues and police officers may not be able to see into the vehicle) and the front windshield (potential driver visibility issues).

Morganthe

Mine is considered a medium level tint. It's on the rear and side windows (plus the sun roof). It looks just like factory installed tint, even less dark than the glass I've had on previous vehicles. I can still easily see through the windows if I'm standing within a foot or two of the car provided there's nothing reflecting in the glass.

"Light" tint is barely darker than clear glass. "Dark" tint is silly. Medium is enough to stay comfortable and safe on the brightest days in Texas, so I'd imagine it work everywhere else too ;)

It's legal anywhere I go in the US and Europe. What makes the difference for me is the UV coating, not the total darkness of the tint. Even on mildly sunny days, my skin tingles if I have the window rolled down. If I ignore it, I'll develop rashing on my arms, no matter if I have sunscreen cream on or not. I'm that light sensitive. :eek:

Legally, you cannot change anything with your front window, but I have cut up static cling type of window film & adhered above my center mirror + a gap on the side of the visor where the sun is always hitting me in my eyes. It's definitely aided my vision and made me a safer driver :)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Legally, you cannot change anything with your front window, but I have cut up static cling type of window film & adhered above my center mirror + a gap on the side of the visor where the sun is always hitting me in my eyes. It's definitely aided my vision and made me a safer driver :)
Where I live, you can't tint any windows. This co-worker of mine always tints windows in every vehicle he owns and always eventually gets caught by the police. You'd think he'd learn. :) I don't think they'd give out of province or out of country tinters tickets though, as it may be legal in their province or country.

I know what you mean about the glare in the centre of the windshield! It always bothered my in our last vehicle, even though it had little black dots there from the factory. Our new vehicle we just bought has this cool factory tinting along the top several inches across the entire windshield and then also has the black dots above the rearview mirror. It's totally awesome and gives you the ability to not use the sun visor on some days which increases your visible area! All vehicles should do this! (maybe they are doing this in all newer vehicles?)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC