Britax Marathon Straps Clean and/or replace

U

Unregistered

Howdy folks - I have a sticky mess on my hands!
My DD is 2 1/2 years old and still rear facing in her Marathon - probably kept the mess at bay ;). . .
On the way home tonight in the van she vomited all over herself and her marathon -- the straps are soaked, so I intend to replace them --- I was going to order those parts tonight on the internet, but I think I will call Britax tomorrow as I am not sure of all the parts I need. but. . .
How wet can the straps get before they are useless? I know they cannot go in the washing machine or be soaked underwater or that kind of thing -- but they are pretty much soaked through with vomit and I think it will take more than a damp cloth to get the gunk and smell out of them --- Can I get them clean and then use them just until the new set arrives? Does anyone have any ideas how to get the gunk and smell out without making them wetter?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Honestly, I know it's technically discouraged, but I have always handwashed my harness straps in a bowl in the sink with a little tide or dawn... just a few minutes of agitating and a good rinse in fresh cold water and lay flat to dry on a towel. And the straps have always come out looking great. Obviously I wouldn't do it if they came out looking frayed or discolored (which would indicate major breakdown)! (I think a great deal of the 'don't wash' warning is because people throw them in with a load of clothes and pre-wash and downy and whatever other laundry concoctions they can use, which destroys the anti-flammability, which federal standards mandate). Just be really, really vigilant when you remove the harness, it's tricky on the bottom where the metal plates go through the triangles on the bottom of the seat shell, and don't take the buckle tongues off under any circumstance.

Good for you for having your dd RF so long!!!!

SarahP

Ahhhhhh I can sign in again. We changed internet providers a little bit ago and I forgot password --
I did call Britax and we had a nice chat about the amount of gunk already on the straps and what I'd tried. I did the sponge bath thing (they recommend Dreft I found out). And I ordered new straps and such -- Now I need a day to install them as the old ones still smell and so does the van :eek:ewwwww:eek:. The only good thing is that I am too sick to go anywhere so I don't have to worry about the straps being safe or stinking. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get that seat in the house and re do the straps again. I just love the latch install! SOOOOOO easy! I wish I had enough locations in my van to do all of the children that way!
My little one feels MUCH better, now it is mommy and daddy who have it.
I would not have a problem with rinsing in cool water and baking soda, but I would suggest calling Britax ASAP.

SarahP

Just be really, really vigilant when you remove the harness, it's tricky on the bottom where the metal plates go through the triangles on the bottom of the seat shell, and don't take the buckle tongues off under any circumstance.

Good for you for having your dd RF so long!!!!

Thank you for that tip! I hope I can get them off and on easily -- I'll let you all know!

Thanks, I want my little pumpkin to be safe as can! She's also in the center as the Mazda MPV passenger side 2nd row seat can slide either outboard or center spot.
This little one may hit 8 before she's in a regent lol . She was born 6 weeks early, but now at 2 1/2 she is 27 pounds. Marathon label says she has 6 more to go! My 4 year old has been forward facing for less than a year now

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC