Graco Nautilus or Britax Frontier? Will you wait?

Will you wait for the Britax Frontier, get the Graco Nautilus, or both?

• Total voters

jwren

Just wondering how the word of the new frontier is effecting purchasing the GN now or waiting for the Frontier...I think I may buy one of each...;)

ADS

mamaofthree

I am not waiting for the Frontier. It sounds awesome, but who knows when it will actually appear- what if it is a year away? If it comes out and I HAVE to have it, I will give the Nautilus to my 3.5 yo and get my older dd the Frontier.

Kimberly

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I don't *need* another seat at all, but I could be tempted by an 80-pound-harness combination seat. While the Nautilus seems to be a great seat and I'm happy it's out, it's not calling out to me, personally.

Yoshi

I am not waiting. DD was in need of a new seat NOW and I got 2 Nautilus for the price of one Frontier. (I'd need two frontiers anyway, so no way) I'm sure it will be an awesome seat, but my DD will probably only stay harnessed max another 2 years. I'll put the extra money toward a cool new latchable booster then.

Synchro246

I don't need a seat now, but I'm starting to think about the next seat we will need. I was planning on the Regent, but if it's out by the time we need another seat I'll be considering the Frontier. The nautilus doesn't appeal to me.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I voted neither because I'm not in the market right now. Maybe when DD1 outgrows the Radian in DH's car by height, then I'll reconsider. :) Pre-ordering a seat with a potentially unpredictable release date can also be an exercise in frustration. Purchasing a new model when it first becomes available can also lead to a sense of being a beta tester, and it's not necessarily the best position to find oneself in, as my eager and early purchase of a Recaro Signo definitely reminded me. :whistle:

jwren

good point, but I would imagine that they would do tons of testing before they release it, and of coarse this is Britax we are talking about.. Pretty much one of the best already, right?

I sure don't want my kids to be beta testers..but maybe that's why they push back release date, just to be sure... As of now I am hearing April, in about two weeks the stats will be officially out and I can't wait to find out more on this seat..my son still fits in his MA other than a little tight around the crotch strap, so we are going to wait it out a little...just a little... ;)

I voted neither because I'm not in the market right now. Maybe when DD1 outgrows the Radian in DH's car by height, then I'll reconsider. :) Pre-ordering a seat with a potentially unpredictable release date can also be an exercise in frustration. Purchasing a new model when it first becomes available can also lead to a sense of being a beta tester, and it's not necessarily the best position to find oneself in, as my eager and early purchase of a Recaro Signo definitely reminded me. :whistle:

NVMBR02

good point, but I would imagine that they would do tons of testing before they release it, and of coarse this is Britax we are talking about.. Pretty much one of the best already, right?

My worry isn't that it wont be safe, but new seats can have "bugs" just like new cars, etc... I like knowing all the kinks are already worked out personally, plus real world reviews are really nice.

laurenrachey

I was also leaning toward a Regent to become our next/main seat but I have ample time before needing something. I like the idea of the nautilus. I've been to see it and try DS in it. I like the head support that the regent lacks. I like that it doesn't look like the broad side of a barn and that it can be a booster later. But britax just has a better feel overall. Since we have plenty of time. I'm trying to remain hopeful on the sidelines instead of spending a year waiting to be let down (by the signo) but I'm very interested in this new seat. I hope it will come out in time for the September sale ;)

sfeitler

My worry isn't that it wont be safe, but new seats can have "bugs" just like new cars, etc... I like knowing all the kinks are already worked out personally, plus real world reviews are really nice.

Yeah. Britax or not, there are real-world issues they won't have anticipated. I had one of the earliest Marathons, and although that seat served us well, we did have a harness adjuster recall for misrouting--not a safety issue, exactly, but it was really hard to adjust the harness length; it didn't come with features they included later like harness pads.

So, I'm buying a Nautilus for my DD because currently she's in a booster--her younger sister needed our Radian--and I don't want to wait for an indeterminate amount of time to get her back into a harness; and because I'm in no rush to buy a first release of a car seat.

-Sarah

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm waiting for the Nautilus to show up in Canada & then will buy it. I don't have an immediate need as I expect dd to fit the MA another year anyways and we still have the Radian as back-up for her if needed. The Frontier would have to be something spectacularly special for me to pay that kind of money for it. :twocents:

(but I reserve the right to change my mind in the future... :whistle: )

SPJ&E

We don't need a new seat yet and won't for quite some time.

IF we were looking to a get a new FF only seat, I would probably go with the Nautilus because of the price. I think $150 is a good price for a seat that harnesses to 65 lbs, has tall top slots, and converts to a highback and backless booster.

I wouldn't trade my Marathons for any other convertible seats currently on the market...they are worth every penny. I am a total Britax lover and would rather have a Britax (as opposed to a Graco), BUT I'm not willing to pay the price when there are other options that would suit our needs just as well in a FF only situation. I agree with Trudy..."the Frontier would have to be something spectacularly special for me to pay that kind of money for it".

lovemyfamily

The Nautilus isn't calling my name either and honestly we have always been happy with our Britax seats. DS #2's MA doesn't expire until the fall, October or November, so if the Frontier is out by then, that is what he will get. Otherwise, he will get a Regent like his big brother.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
Neither, because A) I don't need a new seat and B) both are too new for me to purchase--I like to wait for a seat to be out for a while so I can hear the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I don't need another seat. I don't need the ones I have.....but it would sure be nice if I had one in each car for the kids I may see once a week! I voted wait, for the Britax.

popsicle

I bought the Nautilus. 2 actually. My niece desperately needed a HWH seat so there was no waiting. I went with that rather than the Regent because of the size issue. my mom needs to be able to fit 3 across in her Escape. I bought the second one for DS to use in my car because he's nearly outgtown his seat in Grandma's car, and I need to put my Radian in there. Anyway, that's my story! I didn't have the time to wait. I'll probably want it when it comes out but :shrug-shoulders: oh well.

jwren

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Nautilus a new seat as well? What make is safer or more accepted than a new Britax seat? Just please clarify as I am really on the fence here...

Yeah. Britax or not, there are real-world issues they won't have anticipated. I had one of the earliest Marathons, and although that seat served us well, we did have a harness adjuster recall for misrouting--not a safety issue, exactly, but it was really hard to adjust the harness length; it didn't come with features they included later like harness pads.

So, I'm buying a Nautilus for my DD because currently she's in a booster--her younger sister needed our Radian--and I don't want to wait for an indeterminate amount of time to get her back into a harness; and because I'm in no rush to buy a first release of a car seat.

-Sarah

Calideedle

I am not looking for a new seat now (have a few Regents and Marathons which will last a long time) but when I am looking for a new seat I will go for a Britax. The nautilus just does not appeal to me in anyway! And I just love Britax because I love the seats and have been able to get perfect installs everytime and my kids love them.

jwren

For me the main reason I am looking at the Frontier is all the issues with my son's size... I've pretty much narrowed it down now and because like you I trust Britax I would rather stick with that. Which is why I want to try the new Frontier..Although it's nice to compare prices and I always try to get the best deal. The bottom line for me is safety and if one seat fits what we need, is safest and happens to be on sale, than that's great...but that won't stop me from buying if it's more.. I am hoping that I can find a Nautilus because if it is around I will get one as an extra for my inlaws car... I just really wish I could try these seats out in person, that's what makes it so hard to decide..I do think the Frontier is calling my name though..

We don't need a new seat yet and won't for quite some time.

IF we were looking to a get a new FF only seat, I would probably go with the Nautilus because of the price. I think $150 is a good price for a seat that harnesses to 65 lbs, has tall top slots, and converts to a highback and backless booster.

I wouldn't trade my Marathons for any other convertible seats currently on the market...they are worth every penny. I am a total Britax lover and would rather have a Britax (as opposed to a Graco), BUT I'm not willing to pay the price when there are other options that would suit our needs just as well in a FF only situation. I agree with Trudy..."the Frontier would have to be something spectacularly special for me to pay that kind of money for it".

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC