Help. What do I do?

bp2002

Ok so my SO Adam is currently away for work. About 250 miles from home. We generally dont know where he will be for work until the friday before. He is currently very near his son, C.

Adam didnt listen to me when I told him to take our new nautilus with him, just in case.

Now Adam might be staying in that area until mid next week. (Could possibly come home this weekend, but I work 12 hour shifts sat, sun and monday, so really he would just be alone)

Next week Adam was suppossed to be coming home from where ever (when plans were made we didnt know where he would be) on Wednesday, going to a doctors appointment that he CANT miss on Thursday (14th) and then we were heading out to go pick C up (250 miles away), heading back home (another 250 miles) for an extended weekend with us.

Now Adam will be near C.. could just bring C home with him on wednesday.. still go to the doctor...and just have a little extra time w/ C.

What do I do about a car seat???? C uses a HBB (not one i like) in his moms car.. but Ive never had him in a booster, and he has never ridden in it for more than 1.5 hours, and never for an evening drive that he would sleep during alot of. and Ive never taught Adam proper "booster" behavior (not letting C lean out, blah blah) *I* dont even think C is mature enough to handle such a trip in an HBB..

So.. Do I let him use the booster?? Give him alot of info on what is ok and not ok?? Is an evenflo hbb any good for sleeping??

Do i ship him our nautilus, try to explain to him how to reassemble it? how to install it? (Adam has never used the nautilus, only I have..we just got it!)

Do i *try* to locate one in C's area? Have adam buy it, then try to resell or return to walmart? (I didnt see any in stock near him.. one 40 miles away has limited stock)

AHH! Or do i say, no Adam, drive home Wednesday, we'll go to the doctors, then drive back to C and then home again??

Does adam come home this weekend just to pick up the nautilus and have me install it??

Is there anyother HWH seat that I could buy and return after one day of using?? That i could find easily and use in a dodge charger (doesnt have high headrests)..

C is about 44lbs, and just needs the top slots of the radian, so i think about a 16 inch torso?

What would you do??

ADS

TXAggieTech

Could you post the general area where he is and see if someone could install the seat for him. Or maybe someone would let you borrow one of theirs until you take him back.

Do you know anyone that needs a HWH that you could pass the seat on to if you end up with 2? Or, if you haven't used your GN could you get another on shipped to the store and DH pick it up?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Is there anyother HWH seat that I could buy and return after one day of using?? That i could find easily and use in a dodge charger (doesnt have high headrests)..

I'm sorry, but I don't think it's an acceptable option to purchase a seat with the intent of using it for one day and then returning it for a refund.

The least expensive seat that I can think of that would be available in brick and mortar stores is the base model Evenflo Triumph Advance, at about $130. I'd seriously consider spending $130 to skip 250 extra miles of driving.

bp2002

He is in the Toms River NJ area for work.

From what Ive seen the ship to store takes 10-14 days, so I dont have that long :( I dont know anyone locally that would buy a HWH seat from me.. im new to this area.. so i'd have to most likely return it..

my other issue with the Adam picking up a nautilus is putting it together.. I mean he is intelligent so Im sure he could, but its another step to have him do ya know?? And im anal. *i* do it. (or another tech...)

A different HWH seat would be more put together.

however, I dont know anywhere that stocks the radian? I know babiesrus stocks the apex, but im not sure it would work w/ the charger... grrrr..

would a marathon from target be worth it?? I dont know if he would really fit. ive never tried him in one.. (and im sure id get crap on using anything more *babyish* that the radian or combo type seat) (not that i really care. safety is most important!)

Last edited:

bp2002

I dont have a radian anymore.. I just sold my new one and the old one isnt usable..

I dont like to think that i would use a seat once and know that i'd return it. It isnt an option I like.. Im more so leaning to shipping him my GN unless I find someone that would want to purchase a used once seat from me. But honestly, how many people have bought a seat, installed it, used it once, and returned it for whatever reason? I agree that its not a great thing, but over an unsafe option, it is an option.

I dont really have the funds to buy another seat that wouldnt get used again.. One kid, that we have one weekend a month.. I dont need 2 seats.

crunchierthanthou

Do you think C's mom would use the GN if you and SO bought a second one? At least then you would never be stuck in this situation again.

I don't think I could buy a seat knowing I was going to return it. I mean, it's 250 miles- not exactly a quick trip across town to try it out. :twocents:

bp2002

I know.. I really dont like that option..

Im thinking Adam will just have to come home over the weekend.. then I can just install it, teach him a few things with it, and he'll be all set..

If i could even find another GN, I dont think she would use it. Ive tried to talk to her, give her info, and she still turned her new baby FF before one year, in an expired seat. She had C in a seat he was too big for. She thinks im nuts for having a harnessed seat for him, especially since I just bought him a new one..

Adam will just have to come home.

TXAggieTech

What he will spend on gas to come home will be the same as the cost of a new seat. Gas for driving the 500 miles would cost us ~ $150. Then if you do resale if you will get some of your money back. The time it would take to buy the seat and have it installed would be less than the time it would take to drive the 500 miles.

There are 9 techs listed in Toms River, he could have the seat installed before going to pick up DS. There are several pages of baby stores listed on google maps, I would think at least one would have a seat that would work. If he bought a GN you should have no problem selling it to someone who can't find one. You could cut the price in half and still be ahead of what you would have spent on gas.

bp2002

Very true... We will have to talk it over tonight and see what we can figure out.

Thanks for all your ideas. When he updated me today about where he'd be.. it was momentary panic.. like. OMG, how do i do this and keep C as safe as possible?? Im feeling much better now :)

Morganthe

The time it would take to buy the seat and have it installed would be less than the time it would take to drive the 500 miles.

There are 9 techs listed in Toms River, he could have the seat installed before going to pick up DS. There are several pages of baby stores listed on google maps, I would think at least one would have a seat that would work. If he bought a GN you should have no problem selling it to someone who can't find one. You could cut the price in half and still be ahead of what you would have spent on gas.

AND TOLLS! :eek: (Parkway + tunnel or bridge into NY) = $$$$$

ITA!

Honestly, I can't imagine taking a road trip from Toms River through NYC to Mass and back again for a simple carseat. I'd either mail it to him or buy a new one somehow. It's just not worth the drive time and torment, imo.

Toms River is quite the city, so there's plenty down there provided the traffic doesn't make you a bit insane. I don't know it well -- dh's home region, not mine.

If this helps any:

TOYS"R"US - TOMS RIVER [6321]
1224 HOOPER AVENUE
TOMS RIVER, NJ 08753
Tel: (732)341-2030
Hours:
Sun 10:00am-7:00pm
Mon-Fri 10:00am-9:00pm
Sat 9:00am-9:00pm

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC