Misuse-Mine!

mish

I was looking at pictures this morning and came across my son in his car seat. So much misuse! I am humiliated. He was probably about 15 mths in the picture, and I know he was less than 20 pounds, but he was forward facing. The straps were below his shoulders. Also, they were so loose he probably could have crawled out. This was before I was a tech, but you would have thought I would have done a little better than that. Anyway, I am going to show it to people who come to me and feel really bad after they find out all the stuff they are doing wrong with their seats. Has this happened to anyone else? I would really like to know if I'm not the only one. Maybe I won't feel so bad? By the way, I did have the tether attached and it looks right. Also, the chest clip was right where it was supposed to be! At least I was doing something right.

ADS

Suzibeck

I don't think I have any pictures of misuse, but I certainly have been guilty. I've used a locking belt to keep a lap belt tight, I used an aftermarket infant head suppport. Dh one time installed one of our convertable seats using some wood to get the proper recline. I have always been good about tight installs and snug harnesses, but I've made plenty of other mistakes.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
My older boys are lucky to be alive with the misuse I had with them....LOL.

Expired, hand me down seats that were taped together. They were FF around 5 or 6 months.

mish

Thank you! I feel a little better. I don't know how to attach a picture. If somone tells me, I will. It is not digital, it is a real picture. It is really bad though:D

Mama!

Do you have a scanner? You can scan it into your computer and then use the "Manage Attachments" button at the bottom of the reply box to attach it.

mish

I will try it later this afternoon. I am at work and it is in my car. It is pouring down rain or I would get it now.

Mama!

When my kids were born, they were in a 3 pt graco carseat, with aftermarket head things, and aftermarket strap things, and who knows what else.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Here, this should make you feel better:

97ThomasSam1.jpg

That's my two oldest. The shield booster was a yard-sale find, and quite a bargain. (It was a very expensive seat brand-new!) I got it for $15.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Here, this should make you feel better:

97ThomasSam1.jpg

That's my two oldest. The shield booster was a yard-sale find, and quite a bargain. (It was a very expensive seat brand-new!) I got it for $15.

Hey now. That shield booster was top of the line. I put my 2 yo in one :whistle:

TerisBoys

At least you opted for the Evenflo/Gerry Toddler launcher.

My child was blessed with a Cosco Grand Explorer. Oh - and Gramma had an Explorer I (with the shield attached to the base by a metal bar) that she got from a yardsale.

My eldest is very lucky :)

He started out in an Evenflo Joyride (3-pt, no base). From that he moved into an Evenflo Trooper OHS (rearfacing) at about 6 months, and a garage sale Kantwet One-Step that was ohhhh 6yo when I bought it. He hit 20# at 9mo - pedi said turn him around. So I did in the pedi's parking lot. Didn't move his straps up.

My dad used to take him places - he'd get the seat in SO loosely that it'd fall over turning corners. Josh thought it was big fun!

Oh yeah - and he moved into a bpb at roughly 2yo in Papa's car - because I was tired of dad's terrible installs.

The other two fared better. I learned in the meantime :)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Hey now. That shield booster was top of the line. I put my 2 yo in one :whistle:

It was! I can't tell you how excited I was to get it. It had a built-in seat belt! And yes, Thomas is 2 in that picture, or just-turned 3. (That makes Sam 14-15 months old.)

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
It was! I can't tell you how excited I was to get it. It had a built-in seat belt! And yes, Thomas is 2 in that picture, or just-turned 3. (That makes Sam 14-15 months old.)

I was very excited when I got Tyler's (1994). I was amazed by the fact it had the inner seatbelt and I did not have to run the seatbelt over it every single time like the one DS! wa in.

mish

OK, in case I haven't confessed enough today, here is more of my misuse. My oldest started out in a three point cosco turnabout, which we thought was very fancy! I saw one of these the other day at the hospital where I work and wanted to cry with relief that we hadn't been in an accident while my son was in it. I know it was never tight, and I don't know how we could have gotten it really tight. That seat was terrible. When I look back at pictures of my kids in seats, I really feel lucky that nothing ever happened!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC