Hello Im new- with BIG question

angchick

Okay I have a son who will be 4 in April and a daughter who will be 15 months on the 17th. Currently he is riding in an Apex65 and she is in a comfort sport. I want to get two new seats so that dh can take the ones they are using. I want seats that will last them from now untill they dont need a seat anymore. I like the Apex but the crotch buckle is very short and wide and its begining to bother my son a bit. I also want something that they can be harnessed past 40 pounds.

Here is the thing I dont understand. I know they have seats that go from 5-100pds now I know kids usually outgrow seats in height before weight but is a seat like that the same size has a seat that goes to 65 pounds harrnessed? Lets say for example that I bought the Radian, would that be the last seat my son will ever need or would I still need to get another one? I guess Im confused on how some seats can hold untill 100 and last the whole time while others cant. I dont have a lot of money but want to get both kids in a seat that will last.

Thanks
Angela

ADS
Just noticed that.

Most of the 3 in 1 booster/car seats will not last your child until they are too big for the booster. In fact most children out grow them by height long before this.

Your 4 year old could use either the Radian, the Regent or the Graco Nautilus.

Your 15 month old may still have lots of use in the car seat she is in now, but the radian can rear and forward face, or the Britax Marathon (or other Britax convertible).

You may not need to buy your son another seat after use of one of the above, but then he may need a half booster. Your daughther is likley to need one more seat after one of the above suggestions.

angchick

thanks a bunch! Do you have any recommendations for them both within a smaller budget? I also drive a Nissan Xeterra

mcomommy

You could get a Evenflo Triumph Advance for your 15 month old and you can call and get a longer crotch strap for your Apex so it fits your son better.

Jordynsmama

NO a carseat like the alpha omega elite which converts to a booster at 40 lbs to 100 lbs, is not the same as a Radian or Regent.

If you buy your son a Radian he will most likely just need a booster afterward. Most kids fit into it still at 7-9. If you buy a Regent it will last longer I think, by a yr or so-especially if you have a bigger child. It is wider and I think may have a tad higher top slots.
At 7, most kids still need a booster, at least a backless one.

My daughter is pretty big at 5, and probably has 3-4 yrs in the Regent left, and then will either go to a seatbelt or backless.

For your daughter you will want to continue to rear face her if possible to the seats maximum-a Radian can be rear faced and than forward faced when the rf limit is up.
A Regent would be too big for your daughter and it cannot rear face.

There is also the Nauitilus by Graco which only forward faces and you can check out the differences between that and the regent and radian. Someone can direct you to the links or you can do a search.

The Britax Marathon could be a good seat for your dd also...it rf's to 33 lbs or so, and then ff to 65lbs and has decent top slots-if your dd is smaller she may fit till she is 5-6.

crunchierthanthou

Hi. I think this is one of the threads that we lost today.

You can get a longer crotch strap for the Apex Just call Dorel and request it.

The 3 in 1 seats aren't labelled or marketed very accurately. They very rarely fit a child to 100 lbs. The harness only goes to 40 lbs, but is generally outgrown even before then because the top harness position is relatively low (the top headrest position is only for use in booster mode). When used as boosters, they make poor ones at best. The rather short shell, deep sides and clip style guides make them a poor fit for many children. Most children outgrow the booster mode long before 100 lbs.

What vehicle do you drive? Does your husband's vehicle have tall seatbacks or adjustable headrests? The Apex headpiece isn't reinforced and requires support from the vehicle seatback.

The Radian may get him to booster age, but likely not seatbelt age. The harness isn't any taller than the Apex.

angchick

You could get a Evenflo Triumph Advance for your 15 month old and you can call and get a longer crotch strap for your Apex so it fits your son better.

I can call the company and get a longer crotch strap? Wow I didnt even know that, thanks! that would be good b/c then we can keep that seat longer b/c if it keeps bothering him he wont want to use it.

This is just so hard with all these selections and such. My main concern is the being harnessed longest as possible and all the ones you listed can be? Sorry if Im a pain but I just feel so clueless. Iam learning though, trust me we started off when my son was an infant with him in a seat with an over head shield and only 3pt system (got rid of that once I learned)

angchick

Hi. I think this is one of the threads that we lost today.

What vehicle do you drive? Does your husband's vehicle have tall seatbacks or adjustable headrests? The Apex headpiece isn't reinforced and requires support from the vehicle seatback.

The Radian may get him to booster age, but likely not seatbelt age. The harness isn't any taller than the Apex.

I drive a Nissan Xterra and hubby drives a 98 thunderbird. So Im rethinking the radian............so the regent could last longer?
Im just trying to do all this with a good price you know. I just wish carseats were not soo expensive

Jordynsmama

I can call the company and get a longer crotch strap? Wow I didnt even know that, thanks! that would be good b/c then we can keep that seat longer b/c if it keeps bothering him he wont want to use it.

This is just so hard with all these selections and such. My main concern is the being harnessed longest as possible and all the ones you listed can be? Sorry if Im a pain but I just feel so clueless. Iam learning though, trust me we started off when my son was an infant with him in a seat with an over head shield and only 3pt system (got rid of that once I learned)

Check out the regent for the oldest after he is done with the Apex. It will harness the longest.
http://www.elitecarseats.com/Britax-Regent.pro
it may not work with your car so someone can let you know!
Its a heavy big seat but I love it.

For the little one its hard b/c the regent isnt a good fit for such a young child. Do you plan to rear face her?

angchick

ohh goodness sorry I keep repeating myself but you all post faster than I can type so I keep saying the same things...LOL sorry I hope Im not being annoying!

mcomommy

The Evenflo will let your 15 month old rear face till 35 pounds :thumbsup: and forward face to 50 pounds and 50 inches. If you get the longer crotch straps you can get another Apex and that goes to 65 pounds harnessed and then a booster till 100 pounds. The other are right though the Regent will harness him the longest and you will be able to get it a little cheaper at the end of the month due to the Britax sell :)

angchick

The Evenflo will let your 15 month old rear face till 35 pounds :thumbsup: and forward face to 50 pounds and 50 inches. If you get the longer crotch straps you can get another Apex and that goes to 65 pounds harnessed and then a booster till 100 pounds. The other are right though the Regent will harness him the longest and you will be able to get it a little cheaper at the end of the month due to the Britax sell :)

What site will this sale be at? Im all for saving money!!!

So with my dd there is no way around it, she will need two more seats most likely untill she is done with seats correct?

Jordynsmama

My dd is not rearfacing right now, should I put her back that way?

It is safER. Studies have shown that it is better for their head and neck in an accident to be rear facing so the longer you can keep them that way, the better. Most people who are frequent members of the board, keep their babies rf'ing to the max of the seat-33-35 lbs which for most in here is 2-3 yrs old.

Its definitely a great thing if you make the choice-but a Regent doesnt rear face so that woulds change your options.
Like I said the Marathon lasts till 5 at least, and then in 5 yrs you can buy something else.
Or you can get the evenlflo http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5933974
it ff to 50 lbs and then buy something else.
I dont know how the top slots on the MA and EF compare-
Personally I would go with the MA.

You can just get her one seat, the radian which rf and ff, but it may not work in your car.

crunchierthanthou

My dd is not rearfacing right now, should I put her back that way?

there will probably be 5 posts to this effect by the time I'm done writing, but...

yes, absolutely. Rf is 4-5 times safer for children under the age of 2. The AAP recommends reaf facing to the limits of the seat. That is only 30 lbs with a comfort sport, which also has a very short shell and low top harness position. She'll likely outgrow it well before 40 lbs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC