Recommend harness for dog?

luvmy2

I'm not sure where to post this. My sister is getting a great pyrenees service dog for my nephew that is autistic, and we are wondering what kind of harness to get for the car? Also, where would we buy one?

ADS

vamom

I bought the immi (the folks who make the straps and buckles for carseats) one from my local petsmart. It is adjustable to fit a wide variety of sizes. It doesn't look real comfortable on my little dog, but maybe it woul dwork better for a larger dog.

The only other one that I know is crash tested is the ruff rider. I found it online when I googled it. It comes in a bunch of sizes. They seem to be in transition from a bunch of styles to one style, so if you look you may find a good deal.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I have both the Ruff Rider and the Petbuckle. The Petbuckle is easier to put on and take off, but I like the Ruff Rider better overall. Pet stores sell harnesses, and you can buy them online.

Amaris

I have an immi that I'm not using and do not plan on using. How big is the dog they are getting? If it would fit I would send it to you for the cost of shipping.

CandCfam

Do those have a high enough weight limit for a GP breed?

What do you all think of something like the Survivor?
One would need to get heavy duty TAs (EZ type??) installed for it though.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The senior tech in Heidelberg when I was still living there had two Newfoundland dogs. She was using the Ruff Rider with them.

A service dog should be an adult when you get him, but if anyone is considering getting a giant breed puppy, Ruff Rider has an exchange program where you can get the smaller size and then exchange it when the puppy is ready for the next size.

LuvBug

A service dog should be an adult when you get him, but if anyone is considering getting a giant breed puppy, Ruff Rider has an exchange program where you can get the smaller size and then exchange it when the puppy is ready for the next size.

oh really? that's cool!

Amaris

It doesn't have a weight range listed on it, just says large. It's actually made by a company called aspen pet products. I'll see what else I can find about it.

edited to add: at petco.com it lists the large as fitting dogs weighing 45-110lbs and x-large fitting 110-150lbs. Our dog is about 96lbs and we had to tighten it some on him.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC