don't you wish all little ones could have a 5 pt harness for as long as possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwren

...me too, unfortunately many families can't afford to keep larger children in a 5 pt harness, or they are simply not told how important it is...so they just do like they are told by everyone and switch to a booster...

I have learned alot in the past few months regarding safety of carseats and I am grateful to the Kyle David Miller family... (I can't post anymore or it will be deleted) Anyway I just wanted to let everyone know how important it is to make sure you have done your research on child seat safety...read more here...
http://www.kyledavidmiller.org

Well thanks to this family I will now keep my son in a 5 pt harness as long as possible..after alot of research of different seats.. it's been a long road... and I do think I want to wait for the Britax Frontier.. It sounds perfect for us.. Each seat is perfect for each little person, so as I have learned just because it is perfect for my son it may not be for yours and vice versa...my hope is one day every child will have the most perfect seat for them ;):thumbsup:

ADS

Calideedle

Definatly!

I actually just gave our neighbors a Britax Marathon. It expires in 3yrs but my DS was kinda close to out growing it so I moved him to a Regent. They have a 2yr old and a 5month old so they were just in shock!

I wish all kids could be in 5point harnesses! Sadly our neighbors had 3points and didnt know carseats expired!

natysr

...me too, unfortunately many families can't afford to keep larger children in a 5 pt harness, or they are simply not told how important it is...so they just do like they are told by everyone and switch to a booster...

I have learned alot in the past few months regarding safety of carseats and I am grateful to the Kyle David Miller family... (I can't post anymore or it will be deleted) Anyway I just wanted to let everyone know how important it is to make sure you have done your research on child seat safety...read more here...
http://www.kyledavidmiller.org

Well thanks to this family I will now keep my son in a 5 pt harness as long as possible..after alot of research of different seats.. it's been a long road... and I do think I want to wait for the Britax Frontier.. It sounds perfect for us.. Each seat is perfect for each little person, so as I have learned just because it is perfect for my son it may not be for yours and vice versa...my hope is one day every child will have the most perfect seat for them ;):thumbsup:

Please don’t take this the wrong way, as I, and I’m sure others, share your sentiment on extended harnessing. But posting in such a way here really is like preaching to the choir. People on this board have spend years spreading the word and encouraging extended harnessing and other safe practices with regard to child restraints. This board/site is loaded with information on safe practice and FAQs. When the KDMF came along, people here were thrilled with the work they were (and are) doing and support that work. There are techs here that volunteer their time to install some of the seats for them.

If you really want to spread the word about extended harnessing, you may want to post your message on other forums you visit that are not carseat related and continue to share the information with friends and family in your community.

CRS

Senior Community Member
Please don’t take this the wrong way, as I, and I’m sure others, share your sentiment on extended harnessing. But posting in such a way here really is like preaching to the choir. People on this board have spend years spreading the word and encouraging extended harnessing and other safe practices with regard to child restraints. This board/site is loaded with information on safe practice and FAQs. When the KDMF came along, people here were thrilled with the work they were (and are) doing and support that work. There are techs here that volunteer their time to install some of the seats for them.

If you really want to spread the word about extended harnessing, you may want to post your message on other forums you visit that are not carseat related and continue to share the information with friends and family in your community.

Well done! ITA :thumbsup:

goldmama22

I don't mean to debate, and I understand that while many of the regulars here are passionate about car seat safety, but there are probably a lot of lurkers who are learning a lot here for the first time. I just started here a few days ago, and I'd heard of the organization through someone else, it had never come up on any of the threads I've read. Someone who is lurking and thinking "gosh all these people really believe in extended harnessing, but I already have a booster and can't afford a new carseat" could really be helped by having this information. So you could just roll your eyes privately at being "preached to the choir" and be glad you already know about this.

Perhaps if it is so annoying to have it mentioned, there could be a sticky somewhere about how to get cheap or free carseats and places that techs or passionate people can donate time or money to help those in need.

JMHO.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree that the OP should post this on every board she belongs to.

:) Megan

CRS

Senior Community Member
I don't mean to debate, and I understand that while many of the regulars here are passionate about car seat safety, but there are probably a lot of lurkers who are learning a lot here for the first time. I just started here a few days ago, and I'd heard of the organization through someone else, it had never come up on any of the threads I've read. Someone who is lurking and thinking "gosh all these people really believe in extended harnessing, but I already have a booster and can't afford a new carseat" could really be helped by having this information. So you could just roll your eyes privately at being "preached to the choir" and be glad you already know about this.

Perhaps if it is so annoying to have it mentioned, there could be a sticky somewhere about how to get cheap or free carseats and places that techs or passionate people can donate time or money to help those in need.

JMHO.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree that the OP should post this on every board she belongs to.

You may have missed it, but there's a sticky thread "Official Infant Seat Safety Alert and Youtube 5-point Harness Video threads" here: http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=8619

LuvBug

It is always nice to have a reminder of the stories that helped inspire and educate people! But...

At the same time, a quick search and a "bump" to the threads already posted and discussed in length would be much more effective! There is so much information that is already on this forum. It is much more helpful to locate and bump that information, than a single post reminder- that won't get the same reply.

Please utilize the search feature as much as possible.

jwren

Thank you Megan, that's all I was trying to say..I just really wanted to share how thankful I am for finding out this and how grateful I am to the KDM foundation...I found that youtube video by searching for "booster seat" on the internet and from that one search it changed my whole world... I just wanted to share it and try and help others. I wasn't trying to start a debate...
the sticky thread everyone refers too... honestly would have never caught my interest... if I had not already heard of that video. Maybe it could be rephrased to make it catch your eye... :)

JMHO.

goldmama22

Actually, I read it, but the title is vague unless you already know about it, and the information in it is not very accessible for newbies. I certainly don't think it should be expected of anyone visiting here without much knowledge about carseats to glean content from it that is exactly what this thread is about.

Regarding search, that sticky did not show up when I searched for "free carseat" or "donate carseat". In the interest of getting more kids in appropriate seats, maybe there could be a sticky not only about KDMF but all programs that provide seats to families in need that would clearly state it.

I guess I just think the comments you're making are totally appropriate for established members of this site, but I think it's good to remember that the people who may need the information the most may not know about the search features, or what is meant by "youtube 5 point harness video" in the sticky, or even come here looking for information about extended harnessing. Based on her other posts, I think the OP knows that a lot of the members here are already knowledgeable about this and just wanted to make sure the less knowledgeable people got the info.

I'm trying to troubleshoot and figure out some common ground, hence my suggestion for a sticky with a more obvious name and easily accessible information in it.

bethng

Regarding search, that sticky did not show up when I searched for "free carseat" or "donate carseat". In the interest of getting more kids in appropriate seats, maybe there could be a sticky not only about KDMF but all programs that provide seats to families in need that would clearly state it.

Didnt the KDMF have to stop taking applications due to lack of funding for seats? I hope more people are able to order their seats through their new site.

LuvBug

Didnt the KDMF have to stop taking applications due to lack of funding for seats? I hope more people are able to order their seats through their new site.

lack of funding/overabundance of applications

AL just started a new carseat program, check out the media forum for information ;)

CRS

Senior Community Member
I guess I just think the comments you're making are totally appropriate for established members of this site, but I think it's good to remember that the people who may need the information the most may not know about the search features, or what is meant by "youtube 5 point harness video" in the sticky, or even come here looking for information about extended harnessing. Based on her other posts, I think the OP knows that a lot of the members here are already knowledgeable about this and just wanted to make sure the less knowledgeable people got the info.

What "comments I'm making" I've barely uttered a word in this thread :)

natysr

Megan, you have every right to state how you feel on an issue. ;)

To the OP, the first rule of public speaking or writing is to write to/know who your audience is. So a post created for the benefit of a lurker/guest should be addressed as such.

I greatly respect your enthusiasm and dedication to child passenger safety. :thumbsup: I look forward to exchanging posts in the future.

jwren

Just wanted to let everyone know the program will be back up and running soon as soon as the new website takes off and they get funds back... I tried to post it but it was deleted.. so you will have to find out on their main website to learn more... hth..

jwren

thanks and just to let you all know, I know there are many regulars here... I posted what I posted to help the newbies. like me.. I just happen to be a newbie with some info after alot of research.. anyway I found that coming here there should be a more pronounced title about the safety of the 5 pt harness, I didn't feel the sticky post was catching anyones attention, it didn't catch mine as a newbie. I just was hoping to help educate which is what I thought this forum was all about... correct me if I am wrong...:rolleyes::confused:

Megan, you have every right to state how you feel on an issue. ;)

To the OP, the first rule of public speaking or writing is to write to/know who your audience is. So a post created for the benefit of a lurker/guest should be addressed as such.

I greatly respect your enthusiasm and dedication to child passenger safety. :thumbsup: I look forward to exchanging posts in the future.

crunchierthanthou

I don't think anything was deleted. there was a forum crash and we lost half a day's worth of data.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=35178

thanks and just to let you all know, I know there are many regulars here... I posted what I posted to help the newbies. like me.. I just happen to be a newbie with some info after alot of research.. anyway I found that coming here there should be a more pronounced title about the safety of the 5 pt harness, I didn't feel the sticky post was catching anyones attention, it didn't catch mine as a newbie. I just was hoping to help educate which is what I thought this forum was all about... correct me if I am wrong...:rolleyes::confused:

stickied posts shouldn't have to be flashy. They are at the top for a reason. Otherwise, we'd have to repost the information almost daily for new posters and lurkers. This board gets an incredible amount of traffic. Read the stickies before you post. It's simple internet etiquette.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
To be honest, I was confused by your title and almost skipped right past it. :eek:

This is a carseat board, people come here looking for this information and ask questions about it. It's pretty obvious just doing a search that we are all about best practices for children.

It's stated over and over in various threads asking about boosters that the minimum age we recommend is 4 years AND 40lbs, but that we prefer closer to 5 or 6 years old because that is when the brain synapses that govern impulse control develop.

Just reading various threads will indicate best practice is preached around here and it's also why I don't believe that we need a sticky... we'd have so many stickies then, that none of them would ever get looked at. ;)

It's also pretty impossible to have a sticky with where to get low cost or free seats. That information is constantly changing and is different for every state/province/community. It's much easier for a poster to just ask a simple "who can help me" question. :)

Reactions: CRS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC