Petbuckle, ruffrider, other? people with experience!

LuvBug

My mom got this http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755231&cp=2767032.2767064&sr=1 for our mama aussie(50lbs? 4y) and I'm looking for options. Is this one good, or should I get her to invest in a different one? If so, which one? We also have puppy aussie(18lbs? 12w?) that we need to get one for. She takes them places weekly and I also take puppy with DS and I to the park. At the moment I have him trained(or scared into staying) to lay in the floor behind the drivers seat.
I figure since IMMI makes the petbuckle it is probably the safest, but since there isn't even a standard(is there?) I don't really know which to get or what is considered ok.
there is also the easy rider which I haven't heard anything about.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
We have that furry one, too :). It's a bit big for our girl weiner dog, seems like the boy is going to be bigger and it might fit him... I like it, it seems sturdy...

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Most of them have plastic buckles. I hate that. The IMMI has a good buckle, but the video bugs me. It looks like a lot of force is going into soft tissue. It looks like they changed their video. It doesn't show it as much now. Walmart has one that has a tether like adjuster. I doubt it is crash tested though.

LuvBug

yeah I didn't like the test video either. More it seems like they are concerned about the passengers and not the safety of the dog. Seems like the restraint is just to make sure the dog doesn't fly across the car and hurt a person, instead of lowering injury for the dog.
Right now it seems like training to lay in the floorboard would be safer for the dog, unless we were in a rollover and then everyone would be at risk.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Ruff Rider has an option to attach to cargo anchors. Petbuckle is easier to get on and off. I think either is fine. I would *not* use the Petbuckle with LATCH for a dog over 20 lb or so, however.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
yeah I didn't like the test video either. More it seems like they are concerned about the passengers and not the safety of the dog. Seems like the restraint is just to make sure the dog doesn't fly across the car and hurt a person, instead of lowering injury for the dog.
Right now it seems like training to lay in the floorboard would be safer for the dog, unless we were in a rollover and then everyone would be at risk.

:yeahthat:

LuvBug

we won't be using the pet latch because I want to keep them contained as much as possible while driving too. I'm going to lock the seatbelt after I run it though and it seems like the latch would give too much slack.
That is just my idea from the packaging.

UlrikeDG

LATCH anchors are designed/tested to hold ~60 lb with two anchors. The IMMI harness allows you to LATCH well over 60 lb to ONE anchor. I think it's better to go conservative on half the weight allowed by the vehicle manufacturer.

HEVY

We had dogs when I was younger and they always layed on the floor, it would seem safer there. Maybe they could make something for down there, I don't like that harness.

UlrikeDG

Honestly, IMO, pet harnesses are there to:
1) Reduce damage to human passengers.
2) Stop the dog from being ejected from the vehicle.
3) Prevent an injured dog from running amuck after the fact.

Vehicles are not designed to transport animals safely, and there's not a harness out there that can change that.

vamom

I bought the IMMI one because the other choices had plastic buckles. I have a big, strong terrier that has busted the same type of buckles on his harness, so that worried me.

Now the dog I bought the immi one for is a jack russell, 16# 13". I bought the small dog version - it really pulled in her armpits. So I bought the regular one, only difference was wider web, more to adjust, bigger buckle, still really pulled in her armpits.

She does ride in it, but I wish it were more comfortable for her. She is perfect in the car (well, everywhere really) - she just lays in the floor in her little bed, or now, in the back on her bed.

UlrikeDG

Most of them have plastic buckles.

I bought the IMMI one because the other choices had plastic buckles.

These comments confused me, because I hadn't really noticed the plastic buckles on my Ruff Rider (I have both that and the IMMI Petbuckle). The plastic clips on the Ruff Rider are just precrash positioners. They're there to hold the harness in place when the dog is up and walking around and to keep him from wiggling out of it while the car is moving, a lot like the chest clip on a carseat.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
OK. Can you take pics? I still need to buy some. Just don't know which to go with.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I have a Ruff Rider for our 85lbs (almost 3yr old) German Shepherd. I needed something that allowed me to use my cargo hooks. Since my vehicle is a lease there is no way I am putting him on my 3rd row leather seats to scratch up. He doesn't travel with us often just for the pure fact of his size and he gets car sick.

vamom

When I said the other ones had plastic, I should have said other then immi or ruffrider. There are several at the pet store that are simple glorified walking harnesses - regular plastic buckles.

Stupid me never thought about a carseat for my dog(and I used to be a vet tech).....I am going to have to look into something.
I have a 14 pound 11 year old shihtzu and a 50 pound American bulldog/lab mix(14 months old).
If we go anywhere far(so far never went places far with my american bulldog/lab mix)---I just got my smaller dog's crate and seatbelted it in?(would this be ok)?
Now my bigger dog, I need to find something, because his crate is HUGE!:)

UlrikeDG

The problem with a crate is that it can shatter in a crash. It sucks, because crashes aside, a crate is probably the safest option.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC