Baby car seats just got safer

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
It's SuperBowl Sunday in the US. That could mean slower than usual response times, as even people who don't care at all about football often watch the Super Bowl or at least go to parties. Of course, for me, it means there's "nothing" on TV, so I'm all over the internet today. ;)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I would never use it. A 45 degree recline is usually sufficient for keeping newborns alive. Ten out of 400 dying sounds more like parental error of having the seat at 35 degrees for an newborn rather than like an honest problem. I would advocate education rather than foam, seeing as the foam can interfere with the harness or with head placement during a rebound.

It's hard to trust NZ "experts" when they say to turn the kid at 9 kg as it is.

Wendy

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
"Because standard infant car seats have flat backs, when an infant is properly strapped in place, the flat back of the seat pushes on the back of the head, which is bent forward, so that the chin is pressed against the chest. Because babies have very mobile jaws, the chin is easily pushed backward, constricting the airway."

Or, you could just install the car seat correctly!!!

CRS

Senior Community Member
It's hard to trust NZ "experts" when they say to turn the kid at 9 kg as it is.

Wendy

9kg? Where did you get that from? They recommend 12 months here.

But ITA - Education instead of a one stop fix would be much better (and in some cases free!). I have heard this is retailing for about $70.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
9kg? Where did you get that from? They recommend 12 months here.

But ITA - Education instead of a one stop fix would be much better (and in some cases free!). I have heard this is retailing for about $70.

Because most seats I see from aboard fall in a few categories

0-9kg RFing
9-18kg FFing
18-36 kg booster.

Most kids I would assume hit 9 kg before 12 months.

I haven't looked closely at NZ's seats, mostly just English and German (and of course Sweden, but we all need to bow down to them) but those were the categories.

Wendy

CRS

Senior Community Member
Because most seats I see from aboard fall in a few categories

0-9kg RFing
9-18kg FFing
18-36 kg booster.

Most kids I would assume hit 9 kg before 12 months.

I haven't looked closely at NZ's seats, mostly just English and German (and of course Sweden, but we all need to bow down to them) but those were the categories.

Wendy

There are some european and australian seats that RF till 9kg but the majority of the ones that are used RF till 12kg. And then we have the dorel seats - so 16kg. And now a Swedish seat, so 25kg. Nothing to do with what the "experts" advise, all to do with what seats we have here. I know the US has seats that only rear-face till 20lbs, so not any different really :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL, I figured it was foam, like a pool noodle to get the proper recline!

What may be extremely beneficial about this is that carseat makers might get much better ideas about the padding that is in their current seats... I'm sort of surprised no one's sued Graco for those horrid huge newborn head pads cutting off their kids' airway yet (maybe it hasn't happened? I mean, I hope not, but some of those inserts are surprisingly poorly designed).

Synchro246

Of course, for me, it means there's "nothing" on TV, so I'm all over the internet today. ;)

'cept the "Puppy Bowl" of course ;)

As for the modification. . .I'd like to see child restraint manufacturers make seats a touch more ergonomic to ensure that a baby's head stays in the full upright position. Obviously it'd be a simple fix and it would probably crash-test fine(not speaking about the aftermarket product above, just about the small changes that would need to be made in the actual seats) so they really need to just get around to it.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I know the US has seats that only rear-face till 20lbs, so not any different really :)

Only infant seats stop at 20 pounds, and most now are 22. There's the Combi Zeus which is a new convertible with low top slots, a 22 pound RFing limit and a 40 pound FFing limit (combined with a price tag of $300!), but otherwise every single convertible out there goes to at least 30 pounds. And that one's the Comfortsport. All of the other ones are 33 or 35, and if they're at 33 now they're heading to 35.

But yes, what you have to deal with. Hopefully you guys will get some seats that RF to 35 pounds soon as well. And we can all only dream about the 25 kg RFing seats!

Wendy

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Only OLD infant seats only go to 20 pounds, it's been law for them to go to 22 here for several years :cool:

Wendy, the seat shown in the Herald article is a Phil & Ted's seat that claims to go up to 13kgs, (euro standard) the child shown in it is 5months old and there is no way she would fit in it until 13kgs.
So few of the capsules sold here are outgrown at the maximum limit, unless the child was a micro-prem.

I don't see it as necessary, the padding is huge, thick and parents need to learn how to correctly install the seat. This insert will cause parents to use the belts less tightly than without it. Some parents will also have the straps over the top of the insert, not out from the gap.
Also it will lead to early progression to a convertible car seat, and increase the risk of parents forward facing earlier than previously.

The padding has been shown at training courses since 2006.

UlrikeDG

'cept the "Puppy Bowl" of course ;)

LOL Puppies are cute, but 4 hours of puppies just doesn't do it for me. We've been flipping back and forth between Food Network Challenge (it's a wedding cake marathon) and the Mythbusters marathon on Discovery.

Jeanum

Staff member
LOL American football, the National Football League's final game of the season. I mostly watch the commercials and hope the game is a good one. :p

Synchro246

LOL Puppies are cute, but 4 hours of puppies just doesn't do it for me. We've been flipping back and forth between Food Network Challenge (it's a wedding cake marathon) and the Mythbusters marathon on Discovery.
Yeah 4 strait hours of puppies don't do it for me either, which is why I'm watching Scorsese's Departed :cool:

Super bowl, is like football - right? :p

yes "football" (aka testosterone fueled pseudo war game)

southpawboston

What may be extremely beneficial about this is that carseat makers might get much better ideas about the padding that is in their current seats... I'm sort of surprised no one's sued Graco for those horrid huge newborn head pads cutting off their kids' airway yet (maybe it hasn't happened? I mean, I hope not, but some of those inserts are surprisingly poorly designed).

exactly. carseat makers should be making their carseats anatomically correct as well as safe. if it takes a medical researcher to think of a solution, the carseat makers should take notice and listen. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC