Can LATCH be added to a vehicle?

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
I'm having such an incredibly difficult time getting any of our car seats (Marathon RF, Radian65 FF, and Nautilus) installed successfully in DH's 1993 Ford Explorer. I was wondering if I would be able to take it to the dealer and have them install LATCH anchors? Of course, it would only be a temporary solution until Kira hit 48 lbs, but we may have a new vehicle by then.

ADS

ThreeBeans

There are a very few cars that can have lower anchors added to them, and that is not one of them (you should have top tether anchors installed though :))

Have you been to see a technician?

skaterbabs

No, you cannot have LATCH retrofitted into your Explorer. However, LATCH is not safer than the seatbelt, it's only supposed to be easier.

You can have a top tether retrofitted, and that can significantly increase your child's protection.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The previous posters are correct about it not being possible to add lower LATCH anchors in the Explorer. Ford does retrofit top tether anchors for free in most 1989 through pre-2000 model year Ford vehicles under Ford Program R7C as indicated in this .pdf document http://www.car-seat.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=19326&d=1357607813. Just reference that program at the Ford dealership, and part number F17Z 78613D74-A for adding an top tether anchor to the '93 Explorer's second row center and outboard seating positions, if you intend to continue driving the Explorer. :thumbsup: Every kiddo riding in a FF harnessed seat can benefit potentially from reduced head excursion if the carseat is top tethered.

You can use the Safe Kids locator to find a technician in your area to assist you:
https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbza...tegory1=TAB9_CERTSEARCH&Webid=SAFEKIDSCERTSQL

Last edited:

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
However, LATCH is not safer than the seatbelt, it's only supposed to be easier.

In this case, LATCH would be safer than the seatbelt since I can't get a tight install with the seatbelt. ;)

I kinda figured it couldn't be added. Oh well.

We took it in to have the top tethers installed, but the dealership said they couldn't do it because it was too rusted to be safe. My dad and DH looked inside and out and couldn't find a hint of rust or any indication that they even lifted the carpet to look. So we're going to take it to a different dealership and see if they tell us the same thing.

I'll be a tech next month. ;) I think I'll take the Explorer and the Radian with me and see if the instructor can install it. Maybe he can use it for a class demo?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC