When is weight limit exceeded, and how to determine weight?

existential27

I know I read this answer somewhere on here before, but if a car seat RF to 33 lbs, is the weight limit exceeded when a child is 33.01 lbs or more? How and when during the day should I weigh my kids? Should it be with full bellies, and with the heaviest clothes and shoes they would be wearing? How often would you check? DD is currenly about 30lbs with clothes and shoes.

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The limit has been reached when the child weighs 33 pounds (not 33.01 or 33.5, or whatever). :)

The limit is the weight of the child, fully clothed and shoed.

I'm sure there is a tiny bit of "wiggle room" built in so that the evening vs. morning weight doesn't make the child unsafe in the evening or so that you don't have to weigh the child multiple times every single day.

When your daughter weighs approximately 32 pounds, though, I would consider flipping her around so that you don't have to worry about daily weigh-ins. :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The seat is outgrown at 33.0 pounds. You should weigh them at their heaviest and fully dressed. Whatever the harness will have to catch. So with shoes, a full belly, whatever the clothes are they normally wear in the car.

If you have a child who is smallish and doesn't eat a lot, then 30 pounds may not put you in the "weighing daily" area. But if you have a child who loves to eat and has big heavy boots and lots of clothing mass, then you might want to start thinking about turning, or buying a higher weight seat. But check on the scale late in the day, maybe after dinner.

My daughter was 31.5 pounds naked when I started getting concerned about her hitting 33 pounds dressed and full. But she's tiny with tiny feet and doesn't eat much. Some kids may hit that threshold around 30.5 pounds.

Wendy

natysr

I agree with the PPs.

I also wanted to state that for me, it would also depend on how old my child is. Especially if my child were a girl. If my child were under 2 years old, I wouldn't have a problem doing daily weigh ins. But, if I had an older child that is just small for his/her age, I would not want to do a daily weight in. Especially for a girl. Girls pick up on body image etc at very early ages, and I would worry about how she may feel about being weighed every day. And the lasting memory of that as she gets older.

My son will be 3 1/2 next month and is only 27 pounds. It is likely that once he hits 30 or 31 pounds I will just turn him FF permenantly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC