Which car would be the "lesser evil" ?

Which free car would you choose if you were me?

• 1997 Honda Civic HX 2 door

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • 1988 Volkswagon Jetta

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • 1991 Volvo (?)

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Just keep using the bus & carpool

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Considering safety, but also the financial worries related to being a poor college student + single mom without child support :thumbsdown: I think the bank will not repo' any of these when I file bankruptcy & my parents say they'd be willing to pay the insurance & gas, assuming I continue to use the bus for certain trips.... A couple friends have offered to gift their cars to me since they're looking for new car leases :)

P.S. the Volvo is a station wagon, but the owner is "iffy" on giving it up :eek:

Last edited:
ADS

TerisBoys

Thinking out loud here -

The Volvo is probably the safest, but has hefty repair bills.

But the other two are smallish...88 Jetta wouldn't have shoulder belts in the back most likely. And a 2 door is never fun with a child.

Tough call. If it were me, I'd probably go with the Volvo - but then I also have more than one child. Honda would be my second choice. I'd pass on the Jetta thinking ahead due to the lack of shoulder belts in the back.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Thanks, those were my thoughts, too.... The Jetta owner says it does have outboard shoulder belts, but he's not exactly savvy like that for me to fully trust & I just have no clue what the real deal is on that :confused: The Civic isn't much fun for carseats & I hate how low/small it is, but I also really want an enclosed trunk -- I'm so confused & wish I felt a little more grateful for the help offered :shrug-shoulders:

TerisBoys

I just looked on Ebay and found an 89 Jetta - no shoulder belts that I could see.

If it has them - great - looks like a decent car.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
It doesn't -- he's had it in storage & just turns it on periodically & test drives it once in a while -- I bet he hasn't look at the backseat for a very long time (& has no kids)

However, if someone could check their LATCH manual about TAs ... well, since kiddo is close to full time booster use, I'd be fine with using the 86Y & by the time she'd outgrow her booster+EZOn harness (after I earn my Masters) I'd hopefully have a good job to afford a newer vehicle :)

mamabear

we have a 1998 honda civic and it has 980000+ miles on it...all we've ever done is change the oil! VERY reliable car, good gas mileage............

LuvBug

how is public transportation working for you? I mean if it is working fine, I personally would stick with it.
If you are finding yourself being late or without a ride, then Id go for the civic.

southpawboston

i voted the 97 honda. newer than all the others, probably loads more reliable, and safety-wise, probably ahead of the others. the 91 volvos were based on much older designs from the 70s or 80s, depending on model.

RubysGirl

I'd go with the civic, your daughter has a good understanding of car safety, and buckling her safely will be easy. You have her cooperation, yk?

I'd pick the newest, most common car for reliability, ease of repairs, and gas miliage.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I think I'd go with the Civic, too, but I'd guess that adding the HDTAs to the Jetta would be pretty simple. Still - it's considerably older than the Civic, and my sister's always had good luck with her Hondas, and it should be just as simple adding the HDTAs to that.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
:thanx!: all for helping me choose.
how is public transportation working for you?
It's generally going pretty well -- it's great for getting to the college campus, but it does take me over 2 hours to get kiddo home each evening from afterschool care :( & it takes ALL DAY to do errands which I could otherwise finish within a mere couple hours.... In many ways it is helping to keep me healthier/unstressed, but at other times I am just stressing out more because I'm not getting in the study time that I need :thumbsdown: The car would really only be used for noncollege related needs.
91 volvos were based on much older designs from the 70s or 80s, depending on model.
Good to know!

(the Civic does have ~200,000+ miles, during the last year having made a trip around the entire US mainland & back-n-forth between South Dakota / New York / Georgia a few times . . . the engine has recently been replaced)

Last edited:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
My ex has a Civic I bought for him. He has put that poor little thing through so much! He has "accidentally" driving to Canada. A five hour drive. I think it is a 1997, or so. I bought it in 2000. He still drives it.

beeman

Was the replacement engine new or used? I would probably go for the civic. It's a little bigger, and I can't stand small cars :eek: . However, either one is better than nothing, especially if its low use. Study time is important, and if errand running on public transit is eating into study time, then then a vehicle is a must. If you are concerned about repo' when you file bankruptcy, have your mom as the registered owner, especially if she is paying the insurance.

Synchro246

(the Civic does have ~200,000+ miles, during the last year having made a trip around the entire US mainland & back-n-forth between South Dakota / New York / Georgia a few times . . . the engine has recently been replaced)

How many miles does the new engine have? Do you know who replaced it?

daniele_ut

As the former owner (until 3 months ago) of a 1988 VW Jetta, I can assure you that it has shoulder belts in both outboard rear seats. That car was a breeze to install carseats in. The center back is a lap belt and we used it with DS's Snugride and his MA both RF and FF. I had to add a top tether anchor, though.

What I will tell you, and this is why I would suggest the Civic instead, is that most 88 Jettas only have shoulder belts attached to the door in the front seats and NO lap belts. That was the only year VW did it, and no one really knows why. I added lap belts, but it was a PITB and I never felt totally safe in that car. We always joked that DS was the safest occupant, RF in the middle of the back with the MA.

Overall, though, that car was unbelievably reliable. I bought it in 1997 and drove it for 10 years. There were 240,000 miles on the odometer when the rear brakes had major issues and it was going to cost $600 to fix (roughly the value of the car). The engine and tranny were just fine, though. I sent it off to the junkyard with a few tears.

CRS

Senior Community Member
I'd probably choose the 1997 Honda Civic HX 2 door over the Volvo. Considering that 6 years (IMO) is probably quite awhile in terms of motor vehicle technology and safety advancements (as well as vehicle construction), I'd probably go with the much newer car. Anyway, aren't Volvos quite costly in comparison to maintain and repair then say a Honda?

groovymom2000

Honda. You don't have an infant, and they are so very reliable, even with lots of miles. Your daughter is old enough to crawl in the back and get herself buckled in, and the Volvo does have expensive parts. I personally won't own another VW, but I had a funky old VW that always broke down! Good luck!

Auntie2Avi

I would vote for the Honda because Volvo's are a lot of money to repair. My brother is driving a 1990 Volvo sedan and even the regular service fees are a few hundred. My dad has a newer Volvo but he got into a small accident and it was $5000+ to repair the car. Luckily we have insurance but if it was my brother's car they would have probably totaled the car because it is not even worth $5k. I have no experience with VW, sorry.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC