Hit a deer, replace seat?

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Hit a deer, replace seat? **UPDATE**

A friend of mine hit a deer today going highway speeds (70-100kms). She was able to drive the vehicle away, no-one was hurt and the deer ran off. It hit the front passenger bumber and she thinks there is several $1,000 damage. She has a MA and it does meet the criteria listed here:

Britax's FAQ refers to the NHTSA criteria for carseat replacement after a crash at http://www.britaxusa.net/support/faqs.aspx

Q: What should I do with my child restraint that's been involved in a crash?

A: Britax recommends that use of a child restraint be discontinued if it has been in a severe crash. We further advise of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) position that it is not necessary to replace a child restraint after a minor crash. A minor crash is one that meets ALL of following criteria:

* The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;
* The vehicle door nearest the child restraint was undamaged;
* There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;
* The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND
* There is no visible damage to the child restraint.

So, my question is in this situation would you replace the MA since she was going highway speeds and she thinks there is several $1,000 damage?

I told her to tell insurance she needs a carseat replaced when she files her claim but MPI has made it extremely hard to replace seats and goes by the criteria above so I think she will have to fight it. I had to fight having my MA replaced after my FIL hit a deer with my ds in the car, air bags went off and the car was totalled :eek:

**UPDATE**

My friend met with the insurance company, the estimate is $3,600. I know I'm not going to get the terms right but i'll try to explain what needs fixing.
The deer hit the front pass. side of the vehicle breaking the headlight, smashing up the side that goes up and over the tire, bent in the passenger door (making it hard to open and close) and smooshed up the hood a bit.

Last edited:
ADS

melniemi

I would replace it. If there is that much damage to the car, I can only imagine that there is damage to that seat. I hit a deer once and had a couple thousand dollars of damage and had no idea that my carseats were no longer safe. My boys rode in them for a year or two after that!! I wish I had known to replace them. Insurance said nothing.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The time I hit a deer, I was going about 45 MPH. I've felt harder jolts slamming on the breaks when the car starts to roll in the driveway. Deer just don't have much mass relative to a car. Yes, they can do a lot of damage and even be deadly, but as far as transfering significant crash forces to the seat and belts, not so much. I'd feel comfortable going with Britax's recommendations on this one.

skaterbabs

Having hit a deer at close to 40 mph when my boys were little, I can assure you it's definately a severe crash. Replace the seats.

Jewels

Senior Community Member

The mom did say that there was a jolt. I did tell her to tell them she needed a seat replaced but I might have to help her fight for it. When my FIL hit the deer I ended up having to write a letter to the CEO of the insurance company complaining about their policy which is now under review. Now I guess i'll find out if they have done anything about it :rolleyes:

beeman

Why did the airbags not deploy at a highway-speed crash?

A deer is not a solid object, and does not allow the vehicle to slow down very significantly, and on the same token does not apply strong crash forces on the vehicle.

As for the significance of the crash. A few thousand dollars is not that much damage. That could be very light tin work (Fender, hood, grill, bumper) that need to be replaced. The paint job would be over $1000 :twocents: . However, when dealing with the insurance company, a new child restraint is cheap compared to the body work and possible injury or death settlements if the seat is defective in another crash. Keep pushing, and don't back down.

keri1292

I have one carseat still going strong after hitting TWO deer, two separate times. Darn deer! :mad: This is on country roads though and my seatbelt never even locked. One crash, the deer ran smack into my driver's side door. The other, he was hiding behind 5ft tall brush and tried to leap over my van. I clipped him with my headlight, he flipped up in the air, flew over my van and ran into the forest. :eek:
Ds1 pipes up in the back..."Mom! I about fell outta my seat!" :D We then discussed WHY noone was harmed in this little accident. They still say, everytime we go by the spot..."Hey, Mom. Remember when you hit that deer?" No, kids, the #$#%^ing deer hit MOMMY!
I'm a little paranoid about deer now. Dh enjoys making fun of me. :rolleyes:
But, I don't feel that my carseats were compromised in the least especially considering the low speeds.

popsicle

If you hit a "deer" around here you'd need to replace more that your car seat! :rolleyes: Of course the only "deer" we have are moose so.... I'm no help.

skaterbabs

I would absolutely NOT be comfortable continuing to use a car seat after hitting a deer once, forget twice. If you came through an inspection station I was working, we'd replace the seat.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Thanks for the airbag explanation.

I hit a deer at about 25-30mph. The insurance company wouldn't replace the seat (Britax Marathon) because it did not meet NHTSA standards. I replaced the seat myself. Although I *wish* they had replaced it, I think that both they and I were correct.

beeman

Skaterbabscpst, the extremities of deer collisions vary greatly. I've had a friend hit deer at high speeds, where the only damage was a minor bend in the bumper and a smashed headlight (the deer on the other hand learned how to fly :rolleyes: ). He didn't feel the impact, nor did the seat belt lock up. On the same token I've seen lower speed deer impacts with far greater damage and impact. I would feel comfortable continuing use of a seat that was in a minor deer impact (that meets all of Britax's requirements), however would definitely replace it if the impact was felt, a seat belt locked up or it didn't pass one of the requirements. That said, if insurance could be convinced to replace it, then that would definitely be the wise route to go.

beeman

If you hit a "deer" around here you'd need to replace more that your car seat! :rolleyes: Of course the only "deer" we have are moose so.... I'm no help.

Moose are so miserable! You can't see them at night and they lay right down on the cab :mad: . A friend of mine hit one and they are lucky to still be around.

southpawboston

A deer is not a solid object, and does not allow the vehicle to slow down very significantly, and on the same token does not apply strong crash forces on the vehicle.

As for the significance of the crash. A few thousand dollars is not that much damage. That could be very light tin work (Fender, hood, grill, bumper) that need to be replaced. The paint job would be over $1000 :twocents: . However, when dealing with the insurance company, a new child restraint is cheap compared to the body work and possible injury or death settlements if the seat is defective in another crash. Keep pushing, and don't back down.

The time I hit a deer, I was going about 45 MPH. I've felt harder jolts slamming on the breaks when the car starts to roll in the driveway. Deer just don't have much mass relative to a car. Yes, they can do a lot of damage and even be deadly, but as far as transfering significant crash forces to the seat and belts, not so much. I'd feel comfortable going with Britax's recommendations on this one.

Skaterbabscpst, the extremities of deer collisions vary greatly. I've had a friend hit deer at high speeds, where the only damage was a minor bend in the bumper and a smashed headlight (the deer on the other hand learned how to fly :rolleyes: ). He didn't feel the impact, nor did the seat belt lock up. On the same token I've seen lower speed deer impacts with far greater damage and impact. I would feel comfortable continuing use of a seat that was in a minor deer impact (that meets all of Britax's requirements), however would definitely replace it if the impact was felt, a seat belt locked up or it didn't pass one of the requirements. That said, if insurance could be convinced to replace it, then that would definitely be the wise route to go.

agreed with all of the above. :thumbsup:

just because you feel a "jolt" doesn't mean a carseat needs to be replaced. heck, my friend's '69 barracuda does 12 second 1/4 mile times. *that* gives you a jolt. would you replace a carseat from a jolt from a muscle car taking off??? i mean seriously, if a seatbelt does not even lock, then it couldn't have been a serious impact. also, britax has those guidelines for a reason.

LuvBug

On topic of airbags not deploying. I've been in 2 crashes that met the speed/damage criteria for them to deploy, but they still didn't. When I inquired as to why, I was told it was because my car has a specific sensor that needs to be activated in order for them to deploy. If you don't hit that sensor to activate it, they won't go off. The 2 crashes were 1. offset frontal where all the damage done spread from the headlight to the wheel wall. 2. completely dead on frontal where the front of my car went under the back of theirs. So not the right conditions to activate my sensor like I thought.
I just wanted to mention that. You might have a frontal crash at a high speed and still not activate the sensor.

southpawboston

What is a carseat doing in that?!?

no, in all seriousness I am drooling, but you knew that.

well, there is no carseat in that car, but that was just an example. there are brand new cars on the market that can match those "snap your neck" acceleration speeds, and you don't have to replace the carseats every time you step on that pedal. ;)

Synchro246

I was a kidding ;)
It's a well known rule in our house that carseats and children do not go into running muscle cars. I'm a safety prude about it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC