Keyfit questions

ajweeks

I always thought that I would get a SS1 for DC #3, but now I'm considering the Keyfit after hearing so many good reviews. I just have a few questions:

Is the 22 lb. version shell the same size as the 30 lb.? Is the 30 lb. version worth it?

Can it be installed easily without the base?

From what I'm hearing, the Keyfit will last at least a year and possibly a bit longer for most kids. Is this correct? I'm not sure if I need the extra months that the SS1 will offer, but I don't know.

I do tend to have big babies--my son was 8 lbs. 10 oz and my daughter was 9 lbs. 2 oz. I'm assuming this little girl will be large at birth as well, but if she follows the same pattern as her sister, will not be a fast gainer after birth. My daughter outgrew an older snugride at around 6-7 months and she weighted just under 20 lbs. at a year.

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Yes, the 22 and 30 have the same shell size so it's up to you what one you'd choose. I personally reccomend the 22, but a lot of moms here choose the 30. I've never installed it w/out the base, but I don't think it could be any harder than a Graco w/ no base.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, the install is about the same as the Snugride without the base... a bit wobbly, but easy enough to get the lap portion tight so the seat doesn't rotate backwards when you push the head down (that's the main tip). The link in my siggy shows my dd in the KF and the SS1 and when she outgrew them (my kids are kind of skinny, the extra weight limit of the KF 30 didn't help me, but if I had fast gainers, I'd consider it...)

:thumbsup:

JerseyGirl'sMama

Joolsplus-

Could you elaborate a little bit more on that install trick (without a base.) I am having a hard time picturing it.

OP-

My Sister who is expecting her first just bought the 22. Our family doesn't tend to have large babies. If you go with either though I think you will very happy.

melniemi

If I were buying a keyfit today, I would get the 30# one. I thought I had big babies until #4. She is lighter at 12 months than all three of my others were at 6 months. If she had gained weight like the others, she would have outgrown the keyfit by 9 months, weight wise. I was really hoping the 30# seat would've been out before she was born, but lucked out with a tiny kiddo. You can never tell for sure how they will grow and I'd rather be safe than sorry!

I have installed it without the base a couple of times. It wasn't too difficult. I pushed the seat into the vehicle seat back as hard as I could while threading the seatbelt through. Then I kneeled on the keyfit (one knee on one side of the seat and one hand pushing on the other side), not as hard as I would installing a convertible, but most of my weight, while I buckled and pulled the seatbelt tight. It was very snug with almost no movement at the belt path.

Good luck! I loved my keyfit and it is the only infant seat I would buy if I needed one now. I think the 22# one has been discontinued so you may end up with an older dom if you do go that route.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC