certification

jessclear

I finally found a CPST course close to my home. It is a controlled course and only has 3 seats left. I have contacted the instructor by e-mail and phone with no response. What do I need to do to get into a controlled course? Do I need to say or do something special? Just curious how they usually select people for the controlled courses. I was told that more courses will pop up as the weather warms up. If this course fills up, I should still have a chance of finding another one this spring/summer.

I did go to a seat check this week and had a great experience. They were impressed with my installation and I gave props to this site; where I learned everything! The CPST said she would pass the site on to new parents. She was able to get my DC installed rock solid with very little tilt!

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Did you set up a login i.d. on the Safe Kids site and then click through the steps there to request the lead instructor's permission to register for the class? You need to do that so the lead instructor can officially review your request and hopefully click on whatever is necessary to grant your account access to officially sign up for the class. Contacting the lead instructor by phone/e-mail to introduce yourself and express/explain your interest in the class is a good idea to supplement the "formal" request through the Safe Kids account process. :thumbsup:

Then it's sort of a matter of waiting on pins and needles for a response, speaking from my own perspective of registering for a controlled class last year. :) It's possible the openings are reserved for medical/fire/police personnel, and the instructor needs to see how many sign up before granting permission for others to register. There also may be a waiting list.

Good luck, and hope you're able to register for the class or an upcoming one very soon.

jessclear

Thanks so much! I registered with Safe Kids and requested the course. Now I just await an e-mail. Fingers crossed!

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
Don't count on receiving the email. I signed up for a controlled course and forgot to go back and check. I assumed I would have gotten an email and thought that the instructor had just not responded. Turns out my request was approved and then timed out before I realized that it was approved. since I didn't pay the $60 for the course before it timed out, I got locked out from requesting permission again and had to call SafeKids directly to reset it. I requested permission again and saw that it did indeed say I should receive an email when it was approved. I had already spoken to the instructor and he knew I was putting my request through again. This time, I checked back every day until I saw the approval. I never did receive an email.

jessclear

I heard back from the instructor by phone today. There is one seat left and she is waiting to hear back from someone else about it. If they don't register, I'm in. I think she's is holding spots for "professionals" that have to take the course (police officers, firemen, etc.). Still have my fingers crossed. I will keep checking the website.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC