RECALL: Evenflo Discovery Infant Carseats - Seat can seperate from base in accident

Wineaux

No, I think they got outed in the Consumer Reports video, and then tested it themselves to see if it was repeatable, and it was.

ADS

Morganthe

You know what though, I have a different take on this recall...

They're issuing the recall based on side impact crash testing - testing that isn't part of FMVSS or CMVSS 213 standards testing. So technically speaking, the seat still meets standards even without the recall kit. :shrug-shoulders:

In a way, I'm surprised that such extensive side impact testing was done - and more surprised that a recall was issued based on a failure being observed in a type of test not required for standards. I don't really think Evenflo can totally be made out to be that awful in this particular circumstance. :twocents:

I agree. Their seats still meet "Government testing requirements". I happen to think that in this case, they should be commended instead of blistered and accused about profits.

No, I think they got outed in the Consumer Reports video, and then tested it themselves to see if it was repeatable, and it was.

Are you refering to last year's testing results where most EVERYONE"s Seats failed? I think only two passed. CR admitted freely that their tests were performed incorrectly and at too high a speed. So Evenflo could have continued to ignore them legally and ethically. Oh and CR was blistered on here, too for their results AND mistakes. :rolleyes:

NHTSA says parents should continue to use the child safety seat while waiting for the fastener to arrive.
Obviously, our government ain't too worried about side impact crashes in comparison to NOT using any carseat. :shrug-shoulders:

MomToEliEm

It doesn't appear that Evenflo is trying to promote this recall very hard. When I went to the Evenflo site to try to find a spanish text version of the recall, I was expecting to see the recall info visible somewhere on the main page, but you have to dig down some to actually find the recalls (and they didn't have a spanish version even when I selected spanish as my language).

On the recall notice from the evenflo website (http://safety.evenflo.com/cs/sc/cssc99_RD.phtml?rid=EFR20&src=WEB), it is worded very heavily to indicate that the seat is fine and safe to use, but it is recommended to get this fix installed when it is released (I thought recommended = advisory, required = recall). It is still safe to use with the base until the fix is received.

After this recall, I am not feeling very comfortable with Evenflo as a company looking after the safey of my children. They only issued this recall after many years of complaints.

CPS_obsessed_EMT

Senior Community Member
I don't really care if SI testing is not part of FMVSS-- A car seat should not fly out from the base EVER under any circumstances. That is "catastrophic failure" on the most basic level.

From reading the recall statement, it sounds like NHTSA had more to do with the recall than Evenflo did?

IN RECENT LABORATORY TESTS CONDUCTED BY EVENFLO AND NHTSA TO EVALUATE THE PERFORMANCE OF THESE SEATS

Morganthe

I don't really care if SI testing is not part of FMVSS-- A car seat should not fly out from the base EVER under any circumstances. That is "catastrophic failure" on the most basic level.

I agree, but since it's not a requirement to pass testing minimums, I can't help but wonder about other brands of carseats. :( This will likely place pressure on Graco and the other manufacturers to test their seats out in SI or to release previous testing results for parents to have peace of mind.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

From reading the recall statement, it sounds like NHTSA had more to do with the recall than Evenflo did?

Catastrophic failure - yes, but who knows if other seats would have that problem considering it's not part of FMVSS standards. How many seats would have to be tested in order for the failure to show up?

When NHTSA did the follow up testing after the CR tests, the discovery passed. :shrug-shoulders:

I just really don't think evenflo can be raked over the coals in this case...

Oh, and in terms of the years of complaints, it's only been a year since CR did its tests. I think that they essentially included every discovery ever made because it must be something with the design of the base that's allowing it to happen. If SI testing isn't done anywhere in the process due to FMVSS not requiring it, then they really had no way of knowing that there was a safety risk. Instances of a few seats having it happen in crashes could be chalked up to user error when they look at there being a million seats in use. Considering the high rates of misuse of child restraints, it's possible that some of the failures in crashes were due to parental error, there's no way to know. And I think there's 3 or 4 cases, so out of a million seats in use, it's not a big # - not one that I think would necessarily have a ton of attention paid to it when it couldn't be reproduced with the standard frontal crash testing. (I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate, but I do also believe this.)

rabrog

We just bought this seat last month for our son who will be here in 3 weeks. :mad: I only found out about the recall because a friend let me know about it tonight! I've registered for the part but it's likely our son will be here before the part is.

Should we use the seat without the base (if we have to) before the part arrives? That seems safer to me than using it without the new part in place.

Jenn

Wineaux

We just bought this seat last month for our son who will be here in 3 weeks. :mad: I only found out about the recall because a friend let me know about it tonight! I've registered for the part but it's likely our son will be here before the part is.

Should we use the seat without the base (if we have to) before the part arrives? That seems safer to me than using it without the new part in place.

Jenn
I most certainly wouldn't use it with the base until the new part arrived.
:twocents:

Wineaux

I just called Amazon's customer service number to find out why they are still selling the Discovery pursuant to their stated position on recalls:

Product Recalls

Amazon.com handles product recalls on an individual basis. When we are notified that an item has been recalled, we stop selling the item and write to customers who have already purchased it to resolve the issue.

Now to wait and see how long it takes for them to yank the product and start notifying all the customers who bought the product from them and their affiliates...

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I was told to pull the product the day the recall came out. Usually I know before the media does, but not this time. I saw two of them being used, the next day. I have it posted, but I had type something out, myself. They haven't made a poster yet.

MomToEliEm

Is there anyway to tell if the evenflo seats for sale have been updated with the fix just by looking at the box? I saw at my walmart tonight a huge aisle display of evenflo discovery seats (this is a new display as they didn't have at a week ago) and they still had older manufacturer dates. There was no indication of "new and improved" or something else like that. Are these fixed seats or might they still be under the recall?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The new ones should not be out for months. If they are on the floor, they need to be pulled. I talked to the manager at my Wal-mart. He refused to pull them, so I filed a complaint with BBB. It worked well.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I would print a copy of the recall and take it to the manager. Ask him if these seats have been fixed. Maybe someone found them in the back and put them on the floor no knowing :twocents:

sb518

I just can not trust that company after constant recalls and such serious defects every single time. I don't think I will ever trust their car seats again, any of them.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I agree, but since it's not a requirement to pass testing minimums, I can't help but wonder about other brands of carseats. :( This will likely place pressure on Graco and the other manufacturers to test their seats out in SI or to release previous testing results for parents to have peace of mind.
Doesn't Graco do side impact testing on the infant SS? I know my SS had a hang tag attached that said it had side impact testing done.

mish

I went to my local wal-mart tonight and of course looked at the car seats. The Discovery is back on the shelves there. It has a new box, and a sticker on it that says it is new and passes side impact testing. The display model had a manufacture date of Feb. 11, 2008. Isn't that after the recall? I looked at it and it did not look different than the old ones. I'm confused. For one thing, they haven't had time to redisign it very much, which makes me think it is still not safe. Why would they have a massive recall like that only to start manufacturing them again a month later?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I went to my local wal-mart tonight and of course looked at the car seats. The Discovery is back on the shelves there. It has a new box, and a sticker on it that says it is new and passes side impact testing. The display model had a manufacture date of Feb. 11, 2008. Isn't that after the recall? I looked at it and it did not look different than the old ones. I'm confused. For one thing, they haven't had time to redisign it very much, which makes me think it is still not safe. Why would they have a massive recall like that only to start manufacturing them again a month later?

They probably just started shipping them with the updated base as soon as the recall issue was fixed. :shrug-shoulders:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Evenflo said they would not have new seat out until second quarter. I too saw one at Walmart, last night. Style # started with 316. At the car seat clinic, I checked two older Discoveries, both style 316. We need to call Evenflo.

mish

I called Evenflo and they said the new ones are out. So I guess the ones I saw were new. By the way, the CS rep laughed at me! I said, so will they have new model numbers, and she laughed and said yes. Not sure what that was all about. Maybe a stupid question??

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC