RECALL: Evenflo Discovery Infant Carseats - Seat can seperate from base in accident

MomToEliEm

Make / Models :
EVENFLO / 390 (DISCOVERY) - Model/Build Years: 2005-2008
EVENFLO / 391 (DISCOVERY) - Model/Build Years: 2005-2008
EVENFLO / 534 (DISCOVERY) - Model/Build Years: 2005-2008
EVENFLO / 552 (DISCOVERY) - Model/Build Years: 2005-2008

Manufacturer : EVENFLO COMPANY, INC.
Mfr's Report Date : JAN 31, 2008
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 08C002000

Component: CHILD SEAT

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 1000000

Summary:
EVENFLO IS RECALLING 1,000,000 MODELS 390, 391, 534, AND 552 DISCOVERY CAR SEATS OR ASSOCIATED TRAVEL SYSTEMS MANUFACTURED FROM APRIL 2005 THROUGH JANUARY 2008. IN RECENT LABORATORY TESTS CONDUCTED BY EVENFLO AND NHTSA TO EVALUATE THE PERFORMANCE OF THESE SEATS IN HIGH IMPACT SIDE COLLISIONS, IT WAS REVEALED THAT THE CAR SEAT COULD POTENTIALLY BECOME SEPARATED FROM ITS BASE UNDER THESE CONDITIONS.

Consequence:
IN THE EVENT OF A SIDE IMPACT VEHICLE CRASH, THE CAR SEAT COULD BECOME SEPARATED FROM ITS BASE, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.

Remedy:
EVENFLO WILL NOTIFY REGISTERED OWNERS AND PROVIDE A FREE SUPPLEMENTAL DUAL-HOOK FASTENER TO ENSURE THAT THE CAR SEAT REMAINS ATTACHED TO ITS BASE IN A HIGH IMPACT SIDE COLLISION SIMILAR TO THOSE IN THE RECENT TESTS. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING FEBRUARY 2008. TO OBTAIN THE FREE FASTENER, OWNERS SHOULD CALL EVENFLO AT 1-800-356-2229 BETWEEN 8 AM AND 5 PM EST OR ORDER ONLINE AT THEIR WEBSITE AT WWW.EVENFLO.COM/DISCOVERY.

Notes:
EVENFLO HAS NOT MADE A DECISION THAT THESE UNITS CONTAIN A SAFETY RELATED DEFECT, HOWEVER EVENFLO WILL PROVIDE A FREE SUPPLEMENTAL DUAL-HOOK FASTENER. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/p...rcl_ID=08C002000&summary=true&PrintVersion=NO

ADS

minismom

aren't these the seats that you all been saying s**ks since the CR report thing? How can they make this crappy seat and the great EFTA at the same time? can we trust them?

TerisBoys

Evenflo strikes again.

Haven't they had a recall of some sort on every infant seat produced now? Usually affecting the base and the carrier staying on it?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Wow, did CR actually do something that ended up in something positive?

Three years worth of seats. What took them so long?

Wendy

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
*sigh* well that's just about 95% of the seats we see at the hospital. For every one graco I see, I see 23894729834729834792387423 million 3 point Evenflo's. I"m sure none of these parents know that their new seat is already recalled.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
:eek: And I would think it would also be more prudent and appropriate to suggest using the Discovery infant seat without the base until the "supplemental dual-hook fastener" is received by the owner and applied to the seat/base.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I don't think you can use this seat without the base...which renders it useless until you get the supplemental peices and install them.

Susan

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Isn't it the Evenflo Embrace that can't be used without the base, while the Discovery can be used baseless?

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Ok...I thought all evenflo's needed the base.

Is this the one with the funny belt path? It doesn't run over the seat...but "through" it? I'm guessing you would need noodles or a tightly rolled towel to maintain the angle if you didn't use the base.

Susan

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Ok...I thought all evenflo's needed the base.

Is this the one with the funny belt path? It doesn't run over the seat...but "through" it? I'm guessing you would need noodles or a tightly rolled towel to maintain the angle if you didn't use the base.

Susan

The Discovery has a simple belt guide like the SnugRide. The manual says you can use a rolled towel or blanket to achieve the correct recline angle is needed.

ETA: Combi has the funny beltpath.

Wineaux

Wow, did CR actually do something that ended up in something positive?

Three years worth of seats. What took them so long?

Wendy
Seriously? Their continued track record of continuing to sell problem seats before ever admitting that there might be a problem didn't make this one inevitable?

Evilflo is more concerned about their bottom line than the safety of our kids. From a company that sells child safety seats, oops... Evenflo fought against calling car seats that in court, I find that attitude reprehensible. It is also why I steadfastly refuse to ever use or purchase products from this company.

Every car seat manufacturer has recalls. It is how each company handles those recalls and responds to safety complaints that reveals which companies you can trust with the life of your child, and which ones you cannot.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
You know what though, I have a different take on this recall...

They're issuing the recall based on side impact crash testing - testing that isn't part of FMVSS or CMVSS 213 standards testing. So technically speaking, the seat still meets standards even without the recall kit. :shrug-shoulders:

In a way, I'm surprised that such extensive side impact testing was done - and more surprised that a recall was issued based on a failure being observed in a type of test not required for standards. I don't really think Evenflo can totally be made out to be that awful in this particular circumstance. :twocents:

1 million seats though, hokey dyna. We were told in class that about 3% of all seats are registered, that's why manufacturers have to make a public release of recalls as well as contacting registered owners. I wonder how many of those seats will actually be fixed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC