Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation RECALL: Evenflo Discovery Infant Carseats - Seat can seperate from base in accident

Make / Models :
    EVENFLO / 390 (DISCOVERY) - Model/Build Years: 2005-2008
    EVENFLO / 391 (DISCOVERY) - Model/Build Years: 2005-2008
    EVENFLO / 534 (DISCOVERY) - Model/Build Years: 2005-2008
    EVENFLO / 552 (DISCOVERY) - Model/Build Years: 2005-2008

Manufacturer : EVENFLO COMPANY, INC.
    Mfr's Report Date : JAN 31, 2008
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 08C002000

Component: CHILD SEAT

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 1000000

Summary:
    EVENFLO IS RECALLING 1,000,000 MODELS 390, 391, 534, AND 552 DISCOVERY CAR SEATS OR ASSOCIATED TRAVEL SYSTEMS MANUFACTURED FROM APRIL 2005 THROUGH JANUARY 2008. IN RECENT LABORATORY TESTS CONDUCTED BY EVENFLO AND NHTSA TO EVALUATE THE PERFORMANCE OF THESE SEATS IN HIGH IMPACT SIDE COLLISIONS, IT WAS REVEALED THAT THE CAR SEAT COULD POTENTIALLY BECOME SEPARATED FROM ITS BASE UNDER THESE CONDITIONS.

Consequence:
    IN THE EVENT OF A SIDE IMPACT VEHICLE CRASH, THE CAR SEAT COULD BECOME SEPARATED FROM ITS BASE, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.

Remedy:
    EVENFLO WILL NOTIFY REGISTERED OWNERS AND PROVIDE A FREE SUPPLEMENTAL DUAL-HOOK FASTENER TO ENSURE THAT THE CAR SEAT REMAINS ATTACHED TO ITS BASE IN A HIGH IMPACT SIDE COLLISION SIMILAR TO THOSE IN THE RECENT TESTS. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING FEBRUARY 2008. TO OBTAIN THE FREE FASTENER, OWNERS SHOULD CALL EVENFLO AT 1-800-356-2229 BETWEEN 8 AM AND 5 PM EST OR ORDER ONLINE AT THEIR WEBSITE AT WWW.EVENFLO.COM/DISCOVERY.

Notes:
    EVENFLO HAS NOT MADE A DECISION THAT THESE UNITS CONTAIN A SAFETY RELATED DEFECT, HOWEVER EVENFLO WILL PROVIDE A FREE SUPPLEMENTAL DUAL-HOOK FASTENER. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...rintVersion=NO

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

Re: RECALL: Evenflo Discovery Infant Carseats - Seat can seperate from base in accident

A million?

Re: RECALL: Evenflo Discovery Infant Carseats - Seat can seperate from base in accident

wow

I wonder if Evenflo will ever learn

Senior Community Member

aren't these the seats that you all been saying s**ks since the CR report thing? How can they make this crappy seat and the great EFTA at the same time? can we trust them?
    DD 5.5yo, 38lbs, 43" - FF in a Radian XT and Frontier85 SICT
    DS 3yo, 33lbs, 38" - RF in Radian XT and Britax MT

Senior Community Member TerisBoys's Avatar

Evenflo strikes again.

Haven't they had a recall of some sort on every infant seat produced now? Usually affecting the base and the carrier staying on it?

Oh my goodness...
    Bonnie, Mum to a (38lb) 3 year old rear-facing in a Brio Zento (Black)
    and a (40lb) 4 1/2 year old in a Booster in New Zealand.

Carseat Crazy

A million is a whole lot. How many of those do you actually think are registered or will know to contact?

Nathan - FF-ing in a Frontier
    Logan - RF-ing in a Boulevard
    Megan - RF-ing in a Boulevard

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Wow, did CR actually do something that ended up in something positive?

Three years worth of seats. What took them so long?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

CPS Technician

How can evenflo not be sure this is a safety related thing?

That's just BULL****!

Susan
    Mommy to my angel, Ethan Daniel (8/5/07-8/6/07)
    Mommy to Nicholas (12-29-08) RF'ed to 2.75 yrs in Graco MyRide(crashed) and a True Fit Primier. FF in the TFP and a Graco Nautilus Elite. Nicholas is 2.75 yrs old, 32 lbs and 36" tall.
    Child Passenger Safety Tech

Senior Community Member MagnificentMama's Avatar

*sigh* well that's just about 95% of the seats we see at the hospital. For every one graco I see, I see 23894729834729834792387423 million 3 point Evenflo's. I"m sure none of these parents know that their new seat is already recalled.
    Miss Goofball

6yo|Regent

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

And I would think it would also be more prudent and appropriate to suggest using the Discovery infant seat without the base until the "supplemental dual-hook fastener" is received by the owner and applied to the seat/base.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

CPS Technician

I don't think you can use this seat without the base...which renders it useless until you get the supplemental peices and install them.

Susan
    Mommy to Nicholas (12-29-08) RF'ed to 2.75 yrs in Graco MyRide(crashed) and a True Fit Primier. FF in the TFP and a Graco Nautilus Elite. Nicholas is 2.75 yrs old, 32 lbs and 36" tall.

Isn't it the Evenflo Embrace that can't be used without the base, while the Discovery can be used baseless?
    Regards,
    Jean

DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanum View Post
    Isn't it the Evenflo Embrace that can't be used without the base, while the Discovery can be used baseless?
    You are correct according to the 2007 car seat manual CD.
    Lisa - CPSTI
    Mom to Tucker, 5 years old, 29.2 lbs, 39.25 inches tall who has a variety of different carseats to ride in.
    My new grandson is my signature photo

Thanks for verifying, Lisa.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanum View Post
    Thanks for verifying, Lisa.
    YW
    Lisa - CPSTI
    Mom to Tucker, 5 years old, 29.2 lbs, 39.25 inches tall who has a variety of different carseats to ride in.

CPS Technician

Ok...I thought all evenflo's needed the base.

Is this the one with the funny belt path? It doesn't run over the seat...but "through" it? I'm guessing you would need noodles or a tightly rolled towel to maintain the angle if you didn't use the base.

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMae View Post
    Ok...I thought all evenflo's needed the base.

Is this the one with the funny belt path? It doesn't run over the seat...but "through" it? I'm guessing you would need noodles or a tightly rolled towel to maintain the angle if you didn't use the base.

Susan
    The Discovery has a simple belt guide like the SnugRide. The manual says you can use a rolled towel or blanket to achieve the correct recline angle is needed.

ETA: Combi has the funny beltpath.
    Lisa - CPSTI

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    Wow, did CR actually do something that ended up in something positive?

Three years worth of seats. What took them so long?

Wendy
    Seriously? Their continued track record of continuing to sell problem seats before ever admitting that there might be a problem didn't make this one inevitable?

Evilflo is more concerned about their bottom line than the safety of our kids. From a company that sells child safety seats, oops... Evenflo fought against calling car seats that in court, I find that attitude reprehensible. It is also why I steadfastly refuse to ever use or purchase products from this company.

Every car seat manufacturer has recalls. It is how each company handles those recalls and responds to safety complaints that reveals which companies you can trust with the life of your child, and which ones you cannot.
    Ian James - 3.5 Years
    FF Learning Curve Truefit and FF Britax RA

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

You know what though, I have a different take on this recall...

They're issuing the recall based on side impact crash testing - testing that isn't part of FMVSS or CMVSS 213 standards testing. So technically speaking, the seat still meets standards even without the recall kit.

In a way, I'm surprised that such extensive side impact testing was done - and more surprised that a recall was issued based on a failure being observed in a type of test not required for standards. I don't really think Evenflo can totally be made out to be that awful in this particular circumstance.

1 million seats though, hokey dyna. We were told in class that about 3% of all seats are registered, that's why manufacturers have to make a public release of recalls as well as contacting registered owners. I wonder how many of those seats will actually be fixed.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.