Graco charging for car seat manuals?

skipspin

So, I am helping a friend with a car seat. She doesn't have the manual so I told her that I'd call and get if for her. (She is legally blind, or I'd probably just tell her to do it! She can see- just not well.) Anyway, I call Graco. They told me last time I called to get it online. Um, yeah. It prints on about 50 full size pages. Not good if you want to keep it with the seat. I have most of them, but my printer isn't working now and she's due soon. So, I call to get a new one sent. They charge $5 to mail the manual. Doesn't that seem counterproductive? I mean, okay, charge $1.50 to mail it- but we all know it doesn't cost them $5. You know most parents would just skip reading the directions if this is the case.

I know Britax sent me a free manual a few years ago. My WZ didn't have one when I bought it.

So, what do you think? Fair? Not fair?

ADS

mish

I really think this is unfair. Maybe they could charge you to mail it, but why? They are making Safety seats, so don't they want kids to be safe? It just seems a little ridiculous to me. Also, last year I got a shipment of seats from Dorel to distribute and a couple didn't have instructions. I called them and they sent me 10! manuals free. I didn't even need that many.

mamaofthree

I've ordered a manual from them before and I didn't get charged shipping. You can order it online, not just print it out. It came really fast too. HTH.

Kimberly

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'm sorry to say this, but I think it's fair. I *wish* they wouldn't charge, for the same reasons you do, but I'm pretty sure that if I lost my LATCH strap I'd have to pay to get a new one. I don't think carseat companies should have to replace things that parents have lost.

crunchierthanthou

Maybe it's to encourage you to use the online version? At least they are providing it online without having to request it with your serial number like Dorel.

Like the PP, I wish they would provide them for free and I would expect it if the seat didn't come with one at all. If you lost it? I guess it's their right to charge. It's a bummer, but not much you can do. :(

although, printing on full sized sheets might actually be better for your visually impaired friend. :shrug-shoulders:

mamaofthree

Just double checked and you CAN still order it online for free, with free shipping. Go to "buy replacement parts". Enter the model and serial # in the box on the right, the manual will be a choice in the list of parts. Not sure why they charge shipping if you call and not if you do it online.

ETA: Ok, reread your original post. It is unclear whether you already paid the $5, in which case my post it not helpful. So my official answer to your question is "unfair" because they shouldn't give it to you free online, but charge you when you call. If they are going to be consistent, I don't think it is unfair to charge as long as it is reasonable. They are not paying $5 to ship it. It could be sent media mail or first class for cheap.

Kimberly

vonfirmath

It is perfectly reasonable to charge for using their people's time on the phone when they have a lower cost/free for doing it online.

Companies do this all the time because the time of the person sitting there answering the phone costs them something. (and there are possibilities of copying the name down wrong, etc). They are encouraging you to go to their website.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I ordered on for my AOE from Dorel about a year ago and they mailed it for free. All they did though was print off the manual from online.

That is unreasonable.

Melanie

I can understand them charging for it...$5 seems a bit high. It would be nice to see it closer to their actual cost. It would make me feel better about them as a company if they would send you one copy for free.

Is what I think is completely off is charging if you call and not charging if you order online.

And this really is the way it works. I called recently for a replacement for my snugride as it's being retired until sis-in-law needs it and who knows were the manual wound up. I didn't buy it when I called (figuring if she doesn't use the seat or if it is too close to expiring when she's ready for it it would be wasted $) I just ordered that manual online for no charge.

I feel like this is one more reason I like Britax. They seem to go out of their way to keep customers happy.

Laurenc0101

I feel like this is one more reason I like Britax. They seem to go out of their way to keep customers happy.

Britax isn't better! When trying to order a replacement manual, I called and they said the manual was $1.95, but shipping was $8.50! Yes, you read that right. I asked her why was shipping that much when they could just mail it in an envelope and she said it was their cost! Needless to say, no manual order from me!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Britax isn't better! When trying to order a replacement manual, I called and they said the manual was $1.95, but shipping was $8.50! Yes, you read that right. I asked her why was shipping that much when they could just mail it in an envelope and she said it was their cost! Needless to say, no manual order from me!

It really depends on the CS rep you tak to. Did you try calling again. You could very well get a different answer.

CRS

Senior Community Member
I have a cd with copies of lots of manuals, if you still don't have the manual you need, just PM me and I'll email it to you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC