Adult Seats

S

Sue

Hi

Many years ago i was in a minor car accident and my seat belt saved my life. But it did cuase a huge amount of bruising and few other problems from the weight of my body going into it.

Is there anything to make a lap belt safer for an adult something to distribute the weight or anything..?

Thanks
Sue

ADS
U

Unregistered

Good question. I have a dear friend who was in an accident and she was 'ok' but purple from shoulder to waist where the belt had been. She was hurting for a looong time.
C

U

Unregistered

Yes my bruising didnt go away for a very long time and yes was very painfull but it doesnt sound like there is anything on the market to help with this.

I thought there might have been something for people that want more protection than just a normal seat belt.

Sue

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I don't think there is unfortunately ... it's just the physics of an accident -- the car hits something, you hit the belt ... better the belt (properly positioned across the lap/hip & shoulder) than the dashboard or window, though! I once saw on a futuristic car show, then google searched the topic, that Ford & Volvo were playing around with making 4-point & 5-point seat belts standard ... however, if the same concept applies to adults as with kids' carseats, you could be at more risk of (neck/spine?) injuries etc. by using some kind of extra cushion -- making the belt looser & thus allowing more room for you to move forward in a crash & you'd still hit the belt with a very strong force. But, hey, I'm not a tech -- just thinking outloud about what I've seen....

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

please listen

anytime you get in the car it is a good idea to pray to GOD-Jesus- to protect you when you r drivin don't forget this it is very important

U

Unregistered

pleeeeeeeeeeese

I let my child sit in the front seat but she is only 12, but she wieghs at least 100 pounds i think this is ok?????????????-please write back someone!!!!!!!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/csr2001/csrhtml/index.html

Research shows that kids under 12 years of age should not sit in the front - this is based on statistics of age, not weight & height ... so if your child is quite short & you have a front passenger airbag, she's more at risk. Also, in general all passengers are about 40% more likely to suffer serious/fatal injury in the front compared to sitting in the back seat. The safest place is in the middle of the vehicle - if you don't have a shoulder belt in the rear center position & crash side impact crash test results are marginal or poor then you could get an EZOn "86Y" harness with top tether anchor kit that a dealer should be able to install (this was free for us).

http://www.ezonpro.com

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC