Australia

S

Sue

Hi

I love the website its so helpfull..!

I live in Australia and as you know we have different laws and such, we have a law that says all children must be in a child restraint up to the age of 8. And i think thats great.

But here its really hard to get a child seat with 5 point harness past the usall 30 pounds there is one new one that goes to 40 pounds but thats it.

Also we have no chest clip and i think thats a top idea.

We do have booster seats but to me they are all not very well made and seems to be more cheap rubish than safety or the childs comfort.

Its a shame we dont have the range of products that you have here.

I was thinking of getting a joeysafe harness for my 6 yr old it seems ok but i dont see it mentioned here i would love to get a husky brought over but they wont even ship me one never mind how much it would cost.
www.joeysafe.com

Thanks
Sue

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I got my first taste of car seats and seatbelt laws when I went to Australia at age 10 in 1982... you had to be 8 to sit in the front seat, kids had to be in car seats with top tethers till age 4...it was great!

It doesn't take much to make a great booster...it just needs to be a hunk of plastic with some armrests, or a high back, and that is exceptionally safe. Of course, the more padding you can find, the better you'll feel about it, but kids rarely seem to notice.

http://www.britax.com.au/snsProductSearch.do?action=findByEasySelector&subcategoryId=105

and

http://www.target.com.au/html/babyShop/carSeats.htm (sad...only one booster...our Targets have like 5...)

I've seen the Freedom Ride on ebay here... I don't think it looks very safe, to be honest. Their main appeal seems to be to "freedom of movement", which is the LAST thing you want in a car crash. It also looks like kind of a pain to use from day to day...not that inconvenience isn't something we mind when it's for safety, but if it's not a very safe choice, then it's all pain, no gain.

Best of luck,

S

Sue

I was really hoping to put him in a 5 piont seat or system its shame they dont sell them here :(

But thanks for your reply.

I wondered about the joey safe and them having the freedom but it is a 5 piont system so it couldnt be too bad in a accident it just doesnt have the side protection and such.

Sue

shashoo

only 30 lbs?

I'm not familiar with seats in Australia, but the target websites seats all went to 18 kg. Isn't that ~39 lbs? Am I missing something? Is there a harness limit that isn't posted?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
There are 5 harnessed seats on that page, and they only go to 18kg (that's the standard kg for harnessed seats in industrialized countries...it's 39.6 pounds, so basically 40 pounds)...the very first seat on the top left was the only dedicated booster and it goes to 26kg, which is 57.2 pounds, so comparable to our 10 yo boosters that all only went to a lowish back height and 60 pounds.

It's kind of surprising they don't have bigger booster seats :(

MelllieMa

I've actually been helping a friend in Australia choose the next set of seats for her children and I was totally impressed with what I found.
Safe-N-Sound (Britax) not only makes higher weight harnessed seats (like the Maxi Rider to 26kg, similar to the Husky) but also offers booster seats that have 'anti-submarine' buckles and can use a five point harness that you would buy seperately-similar to the ez-on) or a lap/shoulder belt without the additional 5 point harness (the Pegasus is the name I am recalling).
SO keep looking! You definitely have more options out there!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh man, I went to safe-n-sound and couldn't find those! I suspected I had seen that cool harness option at some point, and figured it was just discontinued. Oooooh well.

:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC