poll...if insurance said pick a seat...

If insurance said pick a seat...which one would you pick?

• Total voters

jwren

I say that because I read a few comments that said if insurance is paying go for it type thing... So here is my question ...
(I know this is similiar to the other poll I have going, but I have added a few seats and just curious about what differences it makes in selection if you really didn't have to be concerned with price.)

If you had a carseat to be replaced for your older child...4+ yrs old... and the insurance said. just pick a seat and we will pay. ;)
:)eek:yeah right like that's gonna happen, lol......:D) I know this wouldn't happen in RL but just suppose...:whistle:

Anyway which seat would you pick. (just curious on why some seats are popular and why some are not..)

Regent
Radian 80
Radian 65
Graco Nautilus
Safeguard Go Booster Hybrid
Safeguard Carseat
Recaro Start Booster
Recaro Young Sport
Other

Last edited:
ADS

jwren

I voted for Safeguard, but also for Recaro Start, as that would be my next choice for a booster after this phase, I do want to keep my son in a 5pt harness for as long as possible so I will do that, but when he can no longer fit in the Safeguard I will move him the the Recaro Start with tether, unless of coarse something comes out in the meantime that is better.;) Just my opinion, based on my research. If anyone has comments feel free to post. ;)

TXAggieTech

I said Radian 80 (in Princess) b/c I don't think I will ever buy this seat but really want one. You know, for one of my boys....

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I understand what you're getting at -- you want to know what's the "best" seat -- but to me, it doesn't matter who is paying for it. I'm not going to spend an insurance company's money any more lavishly than I will spend my own money. For most kids, buying a Radian80 over a Radian65 is simply a waste of money, unless you want the padding or the cover. (ETA: yes, see my sig, I do have the RN80. I wanted the padding and the cover, lol.)

In the real world, the "best" seat is one that fits the child, the car, and the budget. In the fantasy world, you might be able to eliminate budget considerations, but there is no single "best" seat. If there was, we'd all have it.

Last edited:

dhardawa

I chose the Regent only because at four years old I'd worry about some of the others being outgrown by height soon. If the child were younger, I'd probably have said the Safeguard Car Seat.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
It depends what seat I am replacing. I would likely replace with a Radian or Radian Premier(80).

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Actually this happened to us when my oldest was 6mths old. She was in a Graco Snugride (3pt harness- remember she is 6 1/2yrs old and 5pt harnesses were just coming out as she was born). The insurance company is the one that told us to replace (this was before I knew about CPS stuff). We replaced it with a Britax Roundabout and they paid for it all. So, My $70 Snugride was replaced with a $200 Britax with no questions asked.

skipspin

Well, it would depend on what seat I was replacing. (I do have a 4 yr old, 42 lbs).

If I was replacing the Radian 65 I have I would probably get a RN80. Mostly because it will fit 3 across in my Jeep and it works great for DD and I. OTOH, I'd love a Regent for the 97 Jeep, but can't justify it since we don't drive it much- so I might get the Safeguard or a Regent to put in there, then just buy another RN.

Cedarmom

Regent. My 4+ is too tall to fit in any of the others harnessed for very long. I was tempted to say the Nautilus b/c of the harness/booster option, but honestly, I like the thought of him harnessed for as long as possible. That, and they'd be replacing a Regent for a less expensive seat. Can't have them doing that. ;)

TerisBoys

When we were in an accident, I had to replace with 'comparable' seats.

So my Century HBB was replaced with a Turbo (it was being used as a bpb anyway), Cosco Explorer base was replaced with a Cosco High Rise.

The only one that was slightly 'better' was Ry's seat - he was in a FPSE when daddy totalled his van, and we replaced it with a Roundabout since the FPSE was no longer available. I could have gone up to a Marathon, but I just didn't feel right.

So that said - I currently have a Nautilus that I'm extremely happy with. I'd replace it with another Nautilus without blinking. It fits my child and vehicle and I'd just feel wrong asking the insurance co to shell out 2-3x what I paid for it just to get a better seat.

mominabigtruck

I guess I'm not the nicest person but I don't see what the big deal is about replacing with nicer seats. Trust me, your insurance company doesn't feel bad when the write you a check for less then what you paid for your car or for less then what you need to buy a comparable car. I've replaced two ok, about ready to expire seats with a blvd and a husky and didn't feel at all guilty.

TerisBoys

Well - with that one, since I had to fight to get them replaced and they wanted to see the crashed seats and new ones I decided not to push my luck (State Farm 4-ish years ago).

Like I said - I'm happy with my Nautilus. I don't care for the Regent, and the others would be outgrown too soon to be practical (aside fromt he SafeGuard).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC