Article in N.Y Times Mag.

U

Unregistered

Did anyone see the article in this Sunday's New York Times magazine called 'The Seat-Belt Solution How much good do car seats do?' ?
The article written by Stephen J.Dubner and Steven D.Levitt authors of 'Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything.", quotes FARS (Fatality Analysis Reporting System) data as showing that 'there is no evidence that car seats do a better job than seatbelts in saving the lives of children older than 2.' They say that in rear-end crashes car seats perform worse than seat belts. The authors do two crash tests of their own, on a 3yr old sized dummy (one in seat other in belt) and 6yr old sized dummy (one in booster and other in belt). They claim the results of the 6 yr old sized dummy produced 'virtually identical numbers' and that although the seat belt rode up too high on the 3yr old sized dummy, 'impact data were only nominally higher than that for the 3yr old in the car seat' and that most likely none of the dummies would have been injured.
Their conclusion is that car seat and booster benefits may only be that they keep the kids sitting still.
I wasn't real happy to read the article!! I still believe that a child MUST be safer in a 5 point harness than a 3 point seat belt, but I imagine a lot of people will question why they are buying car seats and boosters if their child is equally likely to survive a crash in a belt only.
Any comments????
C.
P.S. Obviously we want our kids to do more than just 'survive' a crash!!

ADS

bazanna

Senior Community Member
I read it and I think there were some things that were downplayed, like a seatbelt riding up on the abdomen...this could be deadly. And you made a good point, that we don't want our kids to 'just survive' a crash...we want them to survive without any life-changing injuries as well. I also think that point was downplayed.

Racecar drivers wear 5 pt harnesses....I think there is some wisdom to be gleaned there.

I am out of time for the moment but I hope others will comment as well. :)

B

blaue_augen

I just read this article, and I was wondering what others thought about it too! I know this thread is older, but I was wondering what some of the car seat techs thought. I can't get behind the idea of just using regular seat belts. I'll pay any amount of money I can to keep my kids safe ... even if there is only a slim chance that they are safer.

Thanks,
Juliana

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I doubt very much that the authors have actually been face-to-face with a child who has merely "survived" a crash verses a child who was properly restrained - I grew up in an environment with kids who suffered head injuries etc. from car accidents because there just wasn't any such thing around here as boosters (at least not past 5 years old) ... it tend sto hit home when you push them in their wheel chair :( :mad:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC