More Nautilus Impressions....

Jacks

I was going to wait a few more months to buy the GN for my hubby's car but I just couldn't do it. :rolleyes: Checked the WM website for our area (Central Ohio) and it said that all stores that carried them were out of stock. Didn't trust it so I just called a WM near me and happened to get a girl who worked in the infant dept. She checked and had 2 in stock. YAY!!! I've tried calling stores before and not a single person could tell me anything.

So while DS was napping I opened the box. A VERY strong chemical smell filled our living room and almost made me sick. UGH! I'm sure it is whatever flame resistant chemical they use on the fabric. That sucker was heavy. :eek: It felt as heavy as our SafeGuard and that is VERT heavy!!

I was very nervous to try and assemble a car seat because I'm not good at reading instructions. The instructions were very clear and easy to understand though. I was immediately struck by the quality of this seat while putting it together. Everything snapped solidly together and felt very sturdy. (Not anything like the Apex IMO just for reference)

The harness is nice and thick and it is really easy to change harness height even if you do have to have the seat out of the car. The headwings also slide up and down very easly and are less wide than the SG headwings that actually touch my side airbags when installed outboard. Oh and the harness adjuster...so smooooooth. Love it! Even though the chest clip is very different than a Britax or SG chestclip, I didn't find it difficult to use at all. Same with the crotch buckle. (Wish there was a third crotch slot though) I haven't measured but I can see huskier kiddos needing a third slot.

Originally, I was holding out for a more padded version of this seat but the padding actually feels fine. The arm rests clicked in right away and are not going anywhere even if I put all of my weight down and PUSH HARD. No movement at all!! Cup holder is awesome and holds a variety of sized beverages (water bottle, taller sippy with straw, baby bottles, short sippy cups...) The little compartment is great for a snack bag, small stuffed animal or other small, soft toys.

My son just turned 4 and is 44" tall and 44lbs. His torso measures 17". His shoulders are just slightly (a hair) under the second to top harness slot. I didn't post pics because there are so many posted already. Also, our other seat is the SafeGuard and another poster already compared the two. In fact, DS fits almost exactly the same in both seats. It installs easily with latch and seatbelt although I took it out of our car so it can air out before we use it. This is my only complaint so far. :cool:

Honestly, I was leary. We had the Graco ComfortSport and hated that seat. After that, the Britax Decathalon which we loved. I think the quality of the GN rivals the Safeguard seat and that is a $400 seat!!! :thumbsup: So far, I highly recommend the seat.

The DOM is 11/07 but another difference I noticed with the box...mine doesn't have the picture of the little boy riding in the seat. Just the picture of the Nautilus seat and description. I thought that was a little odd.

Anyway, I hope this additional info helps someone trying to decide!! :)

ADS

mamaofthree

Yay! So glad you like it. I love reading rave reviews of this seat. It seems like it is not only affordable, but a great quality. I can't wait to see one IRL! I'm holding out for a diff cover, but perhaps I should start stalking WM if the padding is fine. Ugh, if I didn't hate WM so much............

Kimberly

jwren

Let me ask you how you compare the seating space between the two seats you have SG and GN, and the crotch strap depth. Does it adjust on the GN? I know on the SG it moves up but not out deeper. I worry about ds and that becoming too tight, he is in an MA now and it's tight. I think it's 5 1/2 deep on the MA and 7 on the SG. Being you own both (SG and GN) how do you compare that and the seat depth cause my son is about the same size as yours and I heard the SG has a smaller depth seat, is that true? If you get a chance can you post some photos at highest height in your car side by side? that would be awesome. thanks again. BTW: I was thinking of getting the GN for my DH's F350 crew cab truck and the SG for my Navigator. Do you see any problems there? The GN might also be used in my MIL's Toyota Matrix, any issues there? Also how will the SG and my other son's MA fit in the Nav? Will I still be able to sit someone in the middle?
;)

I was going to wait a few more months to buy the GN for my hubby's car but I just couldn't do it. :rolleyes: Checked the WM website for our area (Central Ohio) and it said that all stores that carried them were out of stock. Didn't trust it so I just called a WM near me and happened to get a girl who worked in the infant dept. She checked and had 2 in stock. YAY!!! I've tried calling stores before and not a single person could tell me anything.

So while DS was napping I opened the box. A VERY strong chemical smell filled our living room and almost made me sick. UGH! I'm sure it is whatever flame resistant chemical they use on the fabric. That sucker was heavy. :eek: It felt as heavy as our SafeGuard and that is VERT heavy!!

I was very nervous to try and assemble a car seat because I'm not good at reading instructions. The instructions were very clear and easy to understand though. I was immediately struck by the quality of this seat while putting it together. Everything snapped solidly together and felt very sturdy. (Not anything like the Apex IMO just for reference)

The harness is nice and thick and it is really easy to change harness height even if you do have to have the seat out of the car. The headwings also slide up and down very easly and are less wide than the SG headwings that actually touch my side airbags when installed outboard. Oh and the harness adjuster...so smooooooth. Love it! Even though the chest clip is very different than a Britax or SG chestclip, I didn't find it difficult to use at all. Same with the crotch buckle. (Wish there was a third crotch slot though) I haven't measured but I can see huskier kiddos needing a third slot.

Originally, I was holding out for a more padded version of this seat but the padding actually feels fine. The arm rests clicked in right away and are not going anywhere even if I put all of my weight down and PUSH HARD. No movement at all!! Cup holder is awesome and holds a variety of sized beverages (water bottle, taller sippy with straw, baby bottles, short sippy cups...) The little compartment is great for a snack bag, small stuffed animal or other small, soft toys.

My son just turned 4 and is 44" tall and 44lbs. His torso measures 17". His shoulders are just slightly (a hair) under the second to top harness slot. I didn't post pics because there are so many posted already. Also, our other seat is the SafeGuard and another poster already compared the two. In fact, DS fits almost exactly the same in both seats. It installs easily with latch and seatbelt although I took it out of our car so it can air out before we use it. This is my only complaint so far. :cool:

Honestly, I was leary. We had the Graco ComfortSport and hated that seat. After that, the Britax Decathalon which we loved. I think the quality of the GN rivals the Safeguard seat and that is a $400 seat!!! :thumbsup: So far, I highly recommend the seat.

The DOM is 11/07 but another difference I noticed with the box...mine doesn't have the picture of the little boy riding in the seat. Just the picture of the Nautilus seat and description. I thought that was a little odd.

Anyway, I hope this additional info helps someone trying to decide!! :)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm not the OP, but I'm going to try to take some comparison pics this afternoon (unless Jacks beats me to it!). I actually planned to this morning, but I forgot to get the Nautilus out of DH's car!

The Nautilus does have more seat depth--13-13.5 inches for the GN, 10 for the SG.

You might be able to get someone in the middle between a GN and MA. I was able to squish into an outboard seat with the GN in the center and SG outboard. So you might actually be able to install the MA next to one of the seats and have room outboard, too.

Jacks

I'm not the OP, but I'm going to try to take some comparison pics this afternoon (unless Jacks beats me to it!). I actually planned to this morning, but I forgot to get the Nautilus out of DH's car!

The Nautilus does have more seat depth--13-13.5 inches for the GN, 10 for the SG.

You might be able to get someone in the middle between a GN and MA. I was able to squish into an outboard seat with the GN in the center and SG outboard. So you might actually be able to install the MA next to one of the seats and have room outboard, too.

Thanks for posting the photos...you beat me to it. :p I was pretty surprised about the additional seat depth in the GN as the SG seat depth was a concern for us at first. The additional
3 -3.5" makes a big difference IMO though my DS is all torso at the moment. I am really pleased about the overall comfort of the seat (according to DS) and quality. I too would have a hard time recommending the SG over the GN at this point and I never thought I would say that.

I didn't put it with the official reviews because I did not leave it installed yet due to the chemical smell new in the box. I wasn't sure if it would be considered an official review yet since DS hasn't actually used it for an extended period of time.

Last edited:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Thanks for posting the photos...you beat me to it. :p I was pretty surprised about the additional seat depth in the GN as the SG seat depth was a concern for us at first. The additional
3 -3.5" makes a big difference IMO though my DS is all torso at the moment. I am really pleased about the overall comfort of the seat (according to DS) and quality. I too would have a hard time recommending the SG over the GN at this point and I never thought I would say that.

Yup, ditto the surprise at the seat depth--especially given that the SafeGuard sits further forward on the seat. Also ditto never thinking that I'd recommend another seat over the SG (for the appropriate situation, obviously)!

I officially made the switch tonight: Nautilus is now our main seat, and SG is our backup. (Although I'll probably switch them back and forth now and then.)

jwren

Wow I really am torn here, I have my order in, well sort of, I had to have them order a color and they will call me back tomorrow if they can, my son loves red, so I am trying to order the SG in red. At this point he would probably be disapointed if I got him the GN in grey, :rolleyes: Well what can you do. :p:love:
So how do you move the harness up on the GN, is it as easy as the SG? Is the GN really as comfortable as the SG? does it have all that memory foam? Is it really as safe? Steel frame and all that? Really let's compare apples to apples and see here why is the SG so much more $$$$. Please someone shed some light here before I place my order. :eek: I am so close..;)

Jacks

Wow I really am torn here, I have my order in, well sort of, I had to have them order a color and they will call me back tomorrow if they can, my son loves red, so I am trying to order the SG in red. At this point he would probably be disapointed if I got him the GN in grey, :rolleyes: Well what can you do. :p:love:
So how do you move the harness up on the GN, is it as easy as the SG? Is the GN really as comfortable as the SG? does it have all that memory foam? Is it really as safe? Steel frame and all that? Really let's compare apples to apples and see here why is the SG so much more $$$$. Please someone shed some light here before I place my order. :eek: I am so close..;)

Comparing apples to apples...The SG harness is much easier to adjust because it is within the headwing area that slides up and down so you don't have to remove the seat from the car and rethread like the GN. Because the GN was easy to install, it wasn't a big deal to rethread by hand because you don't do it all the time.

Of course the "alligator" type latch connectors on the SG and self tightening latch installs in about 30 seconds literally. I can't use the latch and install the SG outboard in my vehicle though because of the width of the headwings (they touch the airbags) so I must install the SG with the seatbelt. Also, LATCH is only good to 48 lbs. for the SG. If you have lots of time left for latch and you will be moving the seat between vehicles or traveling, then the SG will be a breeze to install using LATCH. GN has the regular hook type latch clips and you tighten like a seatbelt. Same installation for both with the seatbelt.

No the GN is does not have the energy absorbing foam down the entire side of the seat like the SG but it is in the headwings. The comfort aspect for my son probably has more to do with seat depth...13.5" in the GN VS. 10" in the SG. Of course the SG covers are soooo soft and comfortable. Other than that, the overall quality and sturdiness of the seat compares IMO! :twocents: You are definitely paying extra for those features mentioned above in the SG.

So.... taking all of this into account (in addition to the more thourogh descriptions on each of the manufactures websites) for the money, the GN is a GREAT seat! If money is no option, then I feel that anyone would be very happy with the SG, I know we are! Good luck with this decision, it took me forever too! Buy one of each for each vehicle! ;)

Kat_Momof3

I've installed it with latch... as long as you lift up the cover to tighten it more easily, it's a breeze.

I am not minding the traditional connectors because it is so easy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC