Do I need a stroller debate

lovemyfamily

Susan, If you could weigh it and take some pictures that would be great!

I went to Babies R' Us today and tested the P3 with DD on the foot boards. She loved the foot boards! I couldn't seem to figure out how to fold the stroller though. I pulled up on the handle in the back and it didn't seem to fold up. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong.

Basically now I need to decide whether or not the P3 or C1 is the right stroller for me and then if I want to try to get new (easier with the C1 since it is cheaper) or try to find a used P3.

How is the P3 to push with two kids in it (one on the foot board and one in the seat)? I'm wondering if I could get away with my 3 year old in the seat and my almost 6 year old on the foot boards if need be with the baby in a sling.

The Mac Techno looks nice and compact and holds a lot of weight, but is so expensive. I also don't have the foot board option with it unless I get a kiddie board and that is also an extra expense. I'm not sure how easy it is to find those used.

Adding to this, I didn't see this post before I made my earlier reply.
I also have a P3 and it is by all means my favorite stroller. It folds fairly easy, on the handles are 2 little levers that you must push up at the same time to release the "bars" on the front legs, and then use the handle to complete the fold. Be careful not to drag the front of the child tray on the ground, it gets scratched easily, and I actually remove mine when folding my P3.
It is almost impossible to have a rider on the rear footboard with an infant seat in the front, as the seat needs to be reclined completely, and then part of the infant seat would be pushing back toward the handles. You could def. have an infant laying in there though, as the extra rider would still be able to hold on. Typically kids don't like to ride on the toddler step for a long period of time anyway.
My biggest reason for not taking my P3 for travel is damage to it. It has lots more parts that stick out etc., than the Maclarens do. The Maclarens sort of fold up to cover anything that could be damaged by the airline. Even in a travel bag, damage can still occur.
If you are looking for a stroller, you might want to consider checking out one of the 3 stroller swap boards on yahoo groups. PM me if you would like links. I have recently seen a couple P3s for sale on there, used ones, and that is where I got my Techno for a WONDERFUL price, I swear it looks brand new.
HTH!

ADS

ajweeks

Thanks again Susan! Those picture are helpful. Now I just need to decide...

I posted a message on one of the Yahoo stroller swap boards so I guess I'll see first what types of used ones are available.

ajweeks

I found a used P3 on the stroller swap board. It is well used, but functional. I'm not sure of the price yet. It just has a plain bumper bar instead of the snack tray. Does the bumper bar still work with car seats? What year was the Black Sable pattern that is just black and grey without the red trim?

I'm not sure if a well used P3 is better than a newer or new C1. I like the expandable handles on the P3 and the lighter weight. I'm also not sure if not having a snack tray is a big deal. I've heard that you can buy attachments for the bumper bar.

I guess I'll also have to see about the cost of this one.

lovemyfamily

I found a used P3 on the stroller swap board. It is well used, but functional. I'm not sure of the price yet. It just has a plain bumper bar instead of the snack tray. Does the bumper bar still work with car seats? What year was the Black Sable pattern that is just black and grey without the red trim?

I'm not sure if a well used P3 is better than a newer or new C1. I like the expandable handles on the P3 and the lighter weight. I'm also not sure if not having a snack tray is a big deal. I've heard that you can buy attachments for the bumper bar.

I guess I'll also have to see about the cost of this one.
What you are describing is a Pliko, not a P3. They started making the P3 in 2004, maybe 2003, so it could be as old as a 2002. They do make a snack tray for the old Plikos, but they are hard to come by, and pricey, you can find them on eBay at times. I would try to look for one that is newer. The P3s are much better made than the old Plikos.

lovemyfamily

Can you link me to the picture?
Typically the P3s came with only the snack tray. It could be a European model, those P3s only came with a bumper bar. The seller should be able to look at the sticker to get the DOM on it. What price are they asking?

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Ah, man!! I LOVE your Blackberry set, Susan! It is soooo pretty!

Thanks!!! I love it too. I love that I won't have the same as 1/2 the people in the mall.

I have a lands end diaper bag...that was on the stroller.

Watch---I'll have twins next time around and have to get a second seat...and it won't match!

Susan

lovemyfamily

Thanks!!! I love it too. I love that I won't have the same as 1/2 the people in the mall.

I have a lands end diaper bag...that was on the stroller.

Watch---I'll have twins next time around and have to get a second seat...and it won't match!

Susan

That is one good thing about living in Spokane. I see very few Peg Perego or Maclaren strollers. Most are Graco, Evenflo etc. It is funny how things are different in diffferent cities.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Most of the strollers here are Graco and Evenflos, the Chicco Cortina is picking up though. I see more Pegs, Macs and P&T's in Annapolis though.

Susan

lovemyfamily

Most of the strollers here are Graco and Evenflos, the Chicco Cortina is picking up though. I see more Pegs, Macs and P&T's in Annapolis though.

Susan

I do see more Pegs etc. when I am in a larger city. Not that Spokane is small, but compared to Phoenix (where I am from) it is. AND we don't have anywhere but BRU to get strollers, and the highest end they carry in the store is Pegs.

lovinwaves

I just wanted to add that the Chicco, and Zippy never say in the owner's manual that the two back pieces are for a child to step up on. They are rather for helping you get over obstacles (putting your foot on it and "hopping" the stroller over the obstacle). The P3 is the only stroller that specifically says a child may ride up on the back.

IIRC, the footpads on the P3 are considerably larger than the back pieces on the Zippy and Chicco. IMO, this could be a safety concern. I also don't remember there being rubber grippies on the chicco, and inglesina like there are on the P3.

Online Owner's Manual for Inglesina Zippy Page 4.. Paragraph states:

"The Stroller has a rear footboard to move more easily over
obstacles. CAUTION!!!! DO NOT use the footboard to carry another
baby: It could affect stroller's stability."

The reason I am stating this info is because I would be more comfortable with using a P3 if a second child is going to be riding often. Many people report that children ride just fine on the back of the Chiccos, and Inglesina's. I have heard some people say tipping can be a problem.

Older children (such as 6 year olds) ride fine on the back of the P3. I think you won't have any issues pushing a 3 year old and a 6 year old with a P3. It is definitely more stress on the stroller, so I wouldn't do it often.

I had a 2004 P3. There was a problem I had that I have heard others complain about as well. When there is a child riding on the back the wheels will do a "split" when you try to back up the stroller. This always happened with my P3. I haven't tried out newer ones though to see if this still happens. Not sure if it bent the frame, but it is possible.

Supposedly regulations are different here in the US than in Europe. So even if the stroller is used in other countries doesn't mean the owner's manuals are all going to be the same. Basically what I am saying is sure you can use the step on the Inglesina, and Chicco, but they may not stand by the warranty if damage was done to the stroller by doing so or if a child is hurt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC