Do I need a stroller debate

ajweeks

I keep thinking about strollers now with DC #3 on the way and also a trip to San Diego in August with 3 kids (6, 3.5 and 3-4 months) and two car seats in the airport and we'll be going to Disney Land.

My soon to be 6 year old DS is fine walking most of the time and is too big for much of anything anyway at almost 50 lbs.

My 3 year old DD likes the idea of walking and being a big girl, but does get tired easily. We have brought our large old Graco Literider on a few recent day trips and she loved to lounge in it.

I briefly had an old used Sit n' Stand when DD was born and hated it. It was so bulky and heavy and hard to fold. I'm not sure about the new ones or if the Joovy is much better.

I have a used Snap n' Go for DC #3, but that doesn't provide any ride options for my 3 year old. I also wish it folded more compactly.

I would like a compact fold for travel and the ability to snap in an infant seat if needed. With the P3, do older children really like to stand on back? Are the footplates usable at all if there is an infant seat in the front?

I wear my babies so many times I won't have DC #3 in a stroller, but it is nice to have the option.

My other problem is that I just can't justify the huge price tag of some of these strollers.....

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I've been drooling over the Maclaren Techno XLR ($199 for the 2007 model on clearance)... it takes an infant seat, has a 65 pound weight limit, and doesn't have a footboard, but at least the kids could take turns riding if need be...it also reclines flat for a newborn so you could use it without the infant seat. But a P3 is also great, I'm sure you could find a clearance model or gently used one from somewhere...?

Good luck shopping!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, And another to consider is the Inglesina Zippy, it takes an infant seat and has a footboard, and it folds even faster than the P3 (if you're looking used, the 2005.5 models and up have the footboard, 2005 and below don't). I think the only drawback to this over the P3 is that the handles don't adjust. The Chicco C1 also has a footboard, and I don't know if they are still around, but the blackberry color was only $129 (not anyone's favorite color, but hey, cheap...)

:)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Target is clearancing a lot of things out, maybe you could find a cheap stroller there that would at least work for travelling. I just got a Graco Quattro (single) there for $34.

momme2_3

Wow that is a great price...I don't know about those but I do know with a peg perego p3 (which i love) you can have the infant seat in and use the toddler footboard on the back :)

The handles are just a good feature if you are tall or your DH is and you switch who is pushing..I have never used mine on the p3 but I am really short :)

indigoblossom

I've been drooling over the Maclaren Techno XLR ($199 for the 2007 model on clearance)... it takes an infant seat, has a 65 pound weight limit, and doesn't have a footboard, but at least the kids could take turns riding if need be...it also reclines flat for a newborn so you could use it without the infant seat. But a P3 is also great, I'm sure you could find a clearance model or gently used one from somewhere...?

Good luck shopping!

i second the maclaren. the techno is one of the only ones that has a completely reclining seat and isn't bulky. perfect for travel! we took our maclaren ryder to disneyworld last year and loved it! i saw so many parents stuggling to get on the shuttles with their one or two little ones and graco, inglesinas, or peg strollers and really, nothing compares to the ease-of-use and lightweight, compact design of a maclaren.

NVMBR02

I use a buggy board with my 2 year old in the Maclaren and my 4 year old on the buggy board. I don't like the toddler boards on the p3, chicco zippy, etc because they are so small. DD always had a hard time standing on them, however a lot of people really like them.

The newer sit n stands are a lot better and I love my joovy (and the ultralight is even better) but if you 3 year old already likes to walk most of the time and you wear your baby you probably wont need that. What I used to do when dd still sat in the stroller sometimes and ds couldn't stand on the back was throw my sling in the diaper bag and if dd needed to sit I would wear the baby. I ended up with ds in the sling most of the time anyway, even if dd didn't want to walk. ;)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL! Oops, I meant to say 'everyone's' favorite color (and that's why it's SO cheap!), I actually LOVE that color on that stroller :love:

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Ok---so it wasn't uber popular. It just means I won't have one of many winnie the pooh graco travel systems or a junky evenflo like most of the mall mama's do.

My son was gonna be riding in purple....and I didn't care. I think my MIL did, but didn't want to say anything.

Susan

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I like my C1---granted I haven't used it outside of the house.

But with my first one, my KF would get stuck in it sometimes...but not in the base. So I called chicco and they sent me a new one. They never sent me a label to send the old one back, so I ended up selling it to my best friend for $40. She liked it more than her Graco Passage. She still uses it, she's had it for about 7 months, but also uses a lightweight chicco. It has a smooth push. The latch to get kiddo out can be tricky---but I kinda like that. You can take the bar off the front and it has peices that go in so you don't have holes. She's hosed her's off and hasn't had problems. It lays nearly flat and you can take the back part of the canopy off so that you can get a breeze. In the upright position, you can push the canopy down to the bar and completely encase the child, except for their feet.

It is heavy to lift...but not too bad. I'm not planning on lifting it much. The front wheels have to be locked in order for it to stand alone when folded.

I don't know how it compares to a p3. The C1 does have a ride on bar like the p3 though.

I'll take some pics if you'd like. I think we've got a scale around here if you would like me to weight it.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
We went to Legoland & SeaWorld back in November with all 4 kids. We took a Pliko & a P3 and it worked out GREAT!!!

The older boys hitched a ride on the footpads now and then, and my DS#2 walked the most (my ds#1 is laaaaazy! LOL) and would switch out with his sister when he did want to ride.

I debated on what strollers to take (an MBUS/Mac Single/Peg Pliko/P3 and a Mac Double/DuoGlider) and decided that the two Peg's would be the best because that way we had a way to put EVERYONE on wheels for when we were entering/exiting the parks and wanted to hurry them along. ;)

ajweeks

Susan, If you could weigh it and take some pictures that would be great!

I went to Babies R' Us today and tested the P3 with DD on the foot boards. She loved the foot boards! I couldn't seem to figure out how to fold the stroller though. I pulled up on the handle in the back and it didn't seem to fold up. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong.

Basically now I need to decide whether or not the P3 or C1 is the right stroller for me and then if I want to try to get new (easier with the C1 since it is cheaper) or try to find a used P3.

How is the P3 to push with two kids in it (one on the foot board and one in the seat)? I'm wondering if I could get away with my 3 year old in the seat and my almost 6 year old on the foot boards if need be with the baby in a sling.

The Mac Techno looks nice and compact and holds a lot of weight, but is so expensive. I also don't have the foot board option with it unless I get a kiddie board and that is also an extra expense. I'm not sure how easy it is to find those used.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I weighed it....looks like it came in at 25 pounds :eek: The scale was on carpet.

I think the fold on the p3 is similar, but harder than the C1's. I remember testing it in BRU and I couldn't figure it out.

For the C1...there are triggers just below the handle that you pull towards you, as you're doing that push up on the foot board with the top of a foot(it's rubberized on the underside so it won't mess up your shoes) and then just pull up on the handle.

I don't think you could use the infant seat and footboard at the same time.

I took like 22 pics. I'm making a photo bucket album. But it'll be awhile, as I'm on dial up. If there are any pics I missed, ask and I'll take more.

Susan

lovemyfamily

I have a VERY similar situation on my hands. I have my stroller purchased for a VERY similar trip as well. My kids are similar ages as yours, oldest is 6, middle is 4, and baby will be about 2 months when we make our trip to Disneyland in May, as well as another trip to San Diego in July or August.
I have purchased the Maclaren Techno Classic for the trip. The biggest thing I love about it is that even my tall 6yo, although he is over the weight "limit" for it, he could surely sit comfortably if need be in it. My 4yo fits nicely too. So in the instance where either of them need to ride, we can Bjorn the baby and allow the older ones to get a break from walking.
There is the option of renting a stroller at Disneyland etc., but that only helps when in the parks. It does not help for the trip back to the hotel after a long day of fun.
I love Maclarens, I now have 2. They fold compact, are lightweight, but yet still somewhat full featured. My ONLY issue with them would be to not overload hanging anything on the handles. This causes a serious tipping hazzard.
Enjoy your trip!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC