Airplane travel FYI...

TnT's Mom

Just wanted to give people a heads up that they may run into some trouble with gate checking carseats...or it could have just been our gate attendant (or whatever you call the person at the counter at the actual gate :)). We just traveled to Florida on United and when I asked for two gate check tags for our stroller and our son's Compass B500, the man told me they could not gate check a carseat...I politely told him he could as I had done it in the past...he said no they were told not too and he would check the seat to Orlando (we were flying through Dulles)...I told him never mind I would just carry it on (which I knew it wouldn't fit on this first flight because of the plane size so could he instead give me a carry on baggage check tag that they give to people on the smaller flights who are connecting to bigger planes where the carry on will fit...he wasn't too happy that I was able to get around what he wanted to do...but seriously? as if I was going to check the seat all the way to Orlando even if it is a booster and not a 5 point? We usually carry it on to ensure it gets to our destination and the rental car but I was willing to gate check it this time and risk some banging up of it (it was packed snuggly in its own bag) because I had to carry the Marathon on for my other son and dh had work stuff as well and we had bulk head seats on some of our flights which limited our carry on bag space. On the next leg of our flight we told them we needed 2 gate check tags for strollers...they never even batted an eye at the bag (as if there was a stroller in there?) We did the same thing on the flights home...

Sorry this was wordy (and I hope it makes sense!) but wanted to let people know that if you don't have a plane seat for your child and want to gate check your carseat you might get an annoying gate guy like we did!! Has anyone else had trouble recently? Maybe it was because I told him it was a booster seat? But honestly I don't think he even knew what I kind of seat I meant because he saw our Marathon and when we told him that one was coming on the plane he said he still couldn't gate check the other seat???

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I am sorry for your experience. I think it could have been the agent working the gate. Alhtough I have never gate checked anything other than a stoller. Thanks for sharing your experience with others.

TnT's Mom

We were on United and we have gate checked the booster in the past without question so it was really odd that he was giving me a hard time...my poor dh, he was trying to be so involved with our boys and not get involved with my "discussion", as I was telling this gate guy that I absolutely could gate check it ( I was polite but I wasn't budging on my opinion) and then when I told him fine I would carry it on and could I have the other type of tag...oh his face ::whistle: (the gate attendant not dh!)

SillyLily

I don't think I've ever flown on United, but on other airlines I've never had any problems. All of the gate attendants/counter people have always been nothing but helpful and polite when I've had one of my girls with me. I am eternally grateful for that!! It is stressful enough to travel with little ones without having to deal with people working in customer service who lack customer service skills. :) If he had continued to refuse, I guess you could have requested a supervisor (politely, of course, the whole bees/honey thing).

Tammyfh

while on silly airline policies... Air canada has there new stroller rules. Can't take anything bigger than an umbrella stroller to the gate and once they gate check it you don't get it back until your destination. :eek:

We just flew Continental to Canada and Air Canada home. (Portland, OR to New Brunswick)
We took the car seat on the plane so don't know about gate checking that.

Thanks for the info! We fly several times a year and it's hard to keep up with changing policies and surprises can really make a mess of things

Mama!

So gate checking means you take the stroller all the way to the plane, and then they put it under the plane?

I will need to carry on a stroller and a carseat. And pray I'm not alone.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
So gate checking means you take the stroller all the way to the plane, and then they put it under the plane?

I will need to carry on a stroller and a carseat. And pray I'm not alone.

Yes, but it is right there when you step of the plane waiting for you to pick up. Put the car seat in the stroller and push it to the gate;)

Tammyfh

I know the feeling about the double stroller... We're hoping for a second baby and it'll be a BLAST not being able to take a double stroller :rolleyes:. The stroller we used at least fits in the overhead bin, but with all the other crap we have i don't know what we'll do with 2 strollers.

Mama!

The SN stroller I bought folds into a small narrow long thing. They claim it fits in overhead bins. I hope so.

NVMBR02

The SN stroller I bought folds into a small narrow long thing. They claim it fits in overhead bins. I hope so.

Just let the airline know you are traveling with a child with special needs. They have always been very accomadating when I have traveled with my grandmother who has special needs. I would tell both the ticket agent when you check your bags and the gate agent when you arrive at the gate. If there is something specific you need help with let them know that so you know everyone is on the same page before you get down the jetway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC