WWYD? Child sitting in cargo area of minivan?

Auntie2Avi

I go straight to Avi's daycare after I leave work and I take the same route every day, at around the same time, give or take a minute or two. Yesterday I was driving on this major street (Speed limit is 35 MPH) and I see a Mazda MPV in front of me and it looks like there is someone behind the 3rd row seat. I am not able to tell but as I follow the car I see a child in the 3rd row not belted in and moving around a TON and talking to/handing stuff back/forth with a child in the cargo area of the van. Both kids were up and down for the 5 minutes that I was behind them. I did not see the driver turn around 1x and I was watching them closely. All I could think of was that if I got rear-ended I would go into the area that the child was sitting. I had to turn to get Avi and I did not think to get the license plate number.

Today I was driving to get him and as I am trying to get over to the left lane I realize that I am seeing the same car I saw yesterday. There was a driver, I did not see anyone in the front passenger seat or 2nd row, and then there was the boy in the 3rd row and the child in the cargo area. Today the two kids in the back were fighting on the seat, up and down, not buckled 1x or even sitting still for 30 seconds without moving around. I took down the license plate # and make/model of the car but I did not know who to call. I am in So Cal. Is there a number to call for unrestrained children? This made/makes me so sick. There are 4 open seating positions in the back and one in the front and the child is sitting in the cargo area.

If I see the car tomorrow should I call 911? If there is a CPS line I would call tomorrow AM and tell them what I saw today.

Thanks

ADS

scatterbunny

I don't know if there is a non-emergency number to call, but I'd definitely call 911 for something like that if there isn't another number to call. :mad:

chasingboys

How horrible! I would definitely call the CHP. It sounds like there might be more to this situation. Why on earth would a child ride in the cargo area when there is plenty of room in the regular seats? (even without a carseat the cargo area is less safe than a regular seat...one would think).

from the CHP website:

How do I report unrestrained children?

You may report unrestrained children in a motor vehicle to the California Highway Patrol by calling 1-800-TELLCHP

LuvMyGirls

I call the local police department for things like that. I have the phone numbers for the areas I drive daily in my cell phone. A dispatcher once even had me talking to an officer on the highway I was on. I could see the officer's car and tell him the vehicle with the passenger holding a baby on her lap was in the other lane two cars ahead of him.

mommy2env

I also have the local pd # on my cell phone. But I wouldnt hesitate to call 911. It is horrible, gives me the feeling the child is being *punished*.... :(

minismom

Here's the number for the CHP and you can use to report stuff like that. I just don't know if they'll be able to pull the car over fast enough. Maybe call them now and ask if it's ok to call 911 or what you can do.

1800-TELL CHP

HEVY

What's sad is in my area they don't care. If I called them they would tell me first either what business is it of mine or to mind my own. They see it everyday at my dd preschool. The next thing to do is call child services, that's a hard thing to do since they just might try to take the child instead of teaching the parent. SOME parents just don't know but most just don't care. But as citizens it's our duty to report crimes and that is a crime. As humans most ppl don't want to be involved or just are torn at what to do. My suggestion is to call the police first than child services if that don't work. Problem is how do you know if it worked or not. Me, my problem is what if something happened to that child and I didn't do anything about it.

Laurenc0101

I call the local police department for things like that. I have the phone numbers for the areas I drive daily in my cell phone.

Same thing here! I have all the local non-emergency numbers on my cell and just call the right one for the area I am in. I have called numerous times and most often to a good response depending on who answers the phone. If I was in an area that I did not have a number for, I would call 911, but I try to use my local numbers first. They always ask for a description of the vehicle, the license plate number and usually the description of the driver/children. I hope you are able to reach someone though because it does sound like it is a habitual thing with that driver.

minismom

Ilana, if you have a time crunch when you see this car cause you need to make a turn to go get Avi then let me know ahead of time, where and at what time and I'll help follow this person until they get pulled over!! I would very much enjoy the James Bond experience. So unless you're talking like 7am, I'm in!

Kat_Momof3

when in doubt, call 911.

And if you have a cell with a camera, take a couple pics first... because if the cops can't catch them, if the misuse is BLATANT, like that, sometimes you can get CPS on them.

Auntie2Avi

See, I was in such shock I did not even think of taking a picture. I always have my cell phone on me as well as my digital camera in my purse. I hope I see this person tomorrow so I can take some pics and call 911 on them!!

Kat_Momof3

See, I was in such shock I did not even think of taking a picture. I always have my cell phone on me as well as my digital camera in my purse. I hope I see this person tomorrow so I can take some pics and call 911 on them!!

I obviously meant take them when stopped and be safe about it, but yeah, because the cops might keep a look out for them if they know you've got pics of it and have seen it more than once.

But if the cops can't do anything other than go after them when you call, then I'd show the pics to child protective services and let them go about what they have to do.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC