Diplomat vs. Boulevard?

U

Unregistered

Two questions:

1. Is this Diplomat too new to be considered safe? So many products have recalls after a year or so that I'm nervous to use a BRAND NEW seat. Would it be safer to use a "tried and true" seat such as the Boulevard that has all the kinks worked out already? Even though it's just a "smaller version" of a well tested seat....it's still a new seat....

2. The reason that I am considering the Diplomat (vs. a Boulevard) is that I was told I would not be able to RF the Boulevard for my twins! It is mandatory for me to RF them, as well as have TSIP since they will be outboard. I was told that since the seats have to be installed outboard, and since the seats are so large, I would not be able to move the front driver seat back far enough to be able to drive (or for a passenger to be comfortable).

In lieu of going to a store and trying the seats out (which would be very difficult for me to do right now), do any of you have any experience with this? Do you think I could RF two Boulevards and still be able to drive and have my LARGE dad fit in the passenger seat? Luckily, neither my husband or I are very tall...yet we do currently have the front seat as far back as they can go with our RF Graco Snug Rides.

So, in a nutshell...are the RF Boulevards much larger than a RF Graco Snug Ride?

I drive a 1995 Volvo XC70.

Gratefully, finances aren't an issue for car seats...they are gifts from our in-laws! So, the fact that the Diplomats only FF to 40 lbs vs. the Boulevard's lbs is okay. Once they reach 40 lbs, I will be able to get new seats.

THANK YOU, most truly, for your thoughts.

Best,
Tamara
(Mama to DS and DD, both 13 months, and both apx 29 inches and 21 pounds, and both in dire need of bigger seats!!

ADS

dhardawa

I don't have your vehicle, but typically find that if you can fit an infant seat, you can fit a larger convertible. Also, by the time the babies outgrow the infant seats, they should be bigger and have more head control which means their seats can be more upright than the infant seats were. But, the only way to know for sure is to try it.

And, yes, you definitely want them rear facing. They should remain rear facing to the maximums of their convertible seats. It is extremely important.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I agree with Dana. And I would not say that it woud be bad to purchase the Diplomat just because it is new. I do think you will get more for your money with the Boulevard. You can install car seats mre upright once the child has gained good head control and this eill definately help.

ThreeBeans

Who told you that? I have installed rearfacing Boulevards in that car without difficulty. The larger Britaxes actually tend to fit in tight spaces rather well.

If you have trouble, you should see a CPST :)

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I actually install a rear facing Britax Marathon (same seat as the Boulevard minus the SIP) in a XC70 yesterday with no issues. It was pass. outboard as mom was due soon with #2. The passenger seat moved back to allow for the passenger to be comfortable.

Actually the infant seat took up more front passenger room then the Boulevard did.

sixboys

I own both seats, and I have a few thoughts/opinions for you as well.

To start, I love, love love the Diplomat!!! It is in my opinion slightly easier to get a child into a RF Diplomat vs. Boulevard due to the wider angle of the wings. The Boulevard's wings make a more boxy, right angle out from the seat - therefore making them a little more of an obstacle to lift your child around and place in the seat. On the Diplomat, the wings angle out wider against the sides of the seat, and make it easier to manuever baby into it. I also find that my son has better view out the window, and better ability to see his sibling next to him with the less obstructive TSIP wings on the Diplomat.

I found that the Diplomat fit my son better at 15 months (when I first purchased it for him) than his Boulevard had. The crotch strap on the Boulevard is closer to the child than it is on the Diplomat. With his diaper, the extra inch of bum space the Diplomat offered made for a more comfy fit.

I also do not like the Britax HUGS (rubber pads on the straps), which are required for forward facing use in the Boulevard. The Diplomat does not have HUGS. I've found them to be perfectly tolerable on my four year old who rides forward facing in a Boulevard, but disliked them when he was smaller. They are certainly not a deal-breaker, but I am glad that I will be able to keep DS6 in the Diplomat to 40 pounds without the HUGS.

You will have more front passenger space with two RF Diplomats than Boulevards, maybe 2 or 3 inches? However, the Boulevard would fit fine as well (like the previous poster mentioned), so I would not let this factor into your decision much.

However, you'll get more bang for your buck from the Boulevard. I was able to get my DS2 and DS3 to age 5.5 in Boulevards, and anticipate getting DS4 to at least 6 in his Boulevard thanks to his smaller frame. I would imagine most children would outgrow the Diplomat by age 3-4. If you anticipate having more children you could pass the Diplomats down to, that would be a bonus because the seats will be outgrown by your twins before they expire.

All in all, for me personally, the Diplomat was well worth the price. I really love it, and would buy it again in a heartbeat.

steph

Like others have said the Boulevard will fit RF in your car (the picture in my signature is my son RF in a Boulevard in a Honda Pilot and I could have him more upright and have even more room).

Has far as which one, the Boulevard will last you longer because it's a bigger seat. My son is tall and would have outgrown the Diplomat by height for rear facing awhile ago so I would have had to turn him forward facing but he still has lots of room in the Boulevard.

I guess bottom line is if you want to maximize the time they spend rear facing then I would go with the Boulevard. Also remember the Diplomat only goes to 40lbs forward facing so at 40lbs you would have to by another seat to harness your twins till they were appropriate booster age and weight.

However, in the end I don't think you can go wrong with either seat.

Hope this helps

aisraeltax

i have the blvd. and love it but was so excited to hear that the dip. went to 35 lbs. RF. :)

i went today to see if my 2 yo fit in teh Diplomat and he's too tall. so even though he's only 30 lbs. hes too big for the Dip.

i had a very complex system for 2 yo and baby set up so they could both use the Dip. until 35 lbs. but it just wont work for my kids. i woudl highly recommend testing it out before you purchase.

now i guess ill just get another blvd. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC