Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

GN in a Mercury Sable?

Hello all,
    I am thinking about buying new seats for my kids. I have a FP Futura for DS #1, 5 years, 43 lbs, not sure on height but he is even w/the top harness slots, so if he grows soon, he will be out of it. I have a Cosco Protek booster and a Graco CarGo, but I'd really like to keep him harnessed longer. I was thinking of buying the new Graco Nautilus when I get my taxes, putting my 5 year old in it for awhile until DS #2, (6 weeks, 9ish lbs-has been gaining 1/2lb a week, roughly) outgrows the RF limit on my Evenflo Tribute V and then moving DS#1 into a booster and DS#2 into the Nautilus. I'm not sure it will fit into my Sable w/room for a passenger though. Anyone know the measurements? Is this a good idea-or will the Nautilus expire too soon to make it a good deal? Anyother possibilites?
    Mom to:
    Al -12- | CJ -6- |Kaylee -12/28/12-

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Re: GN in a Mercury Sable?

The Nautilus is supposed to be about 19 inches wide, if I remember correctly, so about two inches wider than the Futura. Fitting another passenger with the Nautilus will be a tight fit, knowing how the Tribute and Futura fit currently (for those who don't know, I know Andie in person ).

What about a Sunshine Kids Radian? I'm thinking you won't need the booster mode of the Nautilus, because let's say Colton outgrows the RF capabilities of the Tribute around age 2, that means the Nautilus would have four years of life left, Al would be 7, Colton could use it until 6, when it expired. Neither would get booster use out of it. So, a Radian could work better, even though the top slots are a bit shorter than the Nautilus, because it's super-narrow (narrowest on the market). I've got one in my possession right now, waiting on good weather so I can take it to the family who's getting it (it's a donation seat from the Kyle David Miller Foundation). If you wanted, you could stop by and we can try to install it in the middle of your Sable and see how Al fits.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Senior Community Member

I have a Sable too it's a 96 and not so bad in the back. I used a Summit High Back Booster which is 20 inches at the base and used it in the middle. It was hard fitting a person on either side comfortably. However I was able to fit infant seats without the base (only for friends on short trips). The GN states it is 20 inches but a lot post here say it's 19. Maybe you could measure it next time at the store. I was not able to secure the Radian in my car but like I said it's a 96 and and it's difficult to fit many seats in it. I have tried the Radian, Apex, Regent and only the regent I could get a decent fit. I strongly suggest fitting whatever you choose before you decide. I also was concerned with passenger use but with the Regent the only one that fit it is more important my dd is safe. But suprisingly there was some room for passenger, I think it has to do with the shape of the seats.

Senior Community Member TerisBoys's Avatar

As far as height comparison - Ry's just below the top slots in his Futura (maybe 1/2"). He's right AT the second from the top slots on his new Nautilus.

As far as fit goes - the area where it hits the seat isn't much more than the Futura. I've got modular seating in my van (5 separate removable seats), and it only occupies the seat it's on (if that makes sense).