Best non-Britax Reversible For Ford Windstar?

vipers_princess

With our upcoming trip to see my husband off to Iraq, money is super tight. So for right now, Britax seats are out of the question.

I am going to take possesion on Friday of a 2003 Windstar Sport with quad seats and full rear bench. It's latch equipped, obviously.

My 2 year old, 34 lbs and just over 3 ft tall, will be in the drivers' side captains chair.

My 6 {well 7 in late Feb} 50-55 lb depending on the scale, four foot and change tall, will be in the passenger side captains chair.

My 8 {9 in mid Feb} is 98-100 lb depending on the day/scale, will be on the passenger side of the rear bench. I'd like to put her in a high back booster since she has a tendancy to fall asleep on trips over 90 minutes long and our next big trip is from middle Indiana to Savannah, Georgia.

ADS

vipers_princess

I would like a booster for the 8 year old if i can find one that will handle over 100 lbs. everything I see maxes out at 100 lbs.

I would prefer a forward facing seat for the two younger girls. I had my sights set on Regents for the younger girls, but we just can't swing it and the trip to see hubby off to Iraq. :(

scatterbunny

What are the younger two girls riding in currently? What is their torso height? That's pretty important in recommending good long-term harnessed options, especially for the 6yo, since, at her weight, she may be too tall already, or borderline too tall, for some harnessed seats that she still may fit by weight (my own daughter is 56 pounds and has been too tall for Britax 65 pound seats for almost 2 years; she's too tall for the Sunshine Kids Radian and Cosco Apex, as well, and probably borderline too tall for the Graco Nautilus, though by weight she should still fit those seats).

As for your 8yo, at her weight only Britax boosters will offer any weight room. All other boosters max out at 80-100 pounds, but Britax boosters have no upper weight limits.

vipers_princess

currently the 6 year old is in a graco high back and the 2 year old is in an evenflo convertible. {can't remember the name of it} Since we're driving my dad's 90 olds I have put the 8 year old in a graco backless booster because it was either that or put her in the front passenger seat, which I'm just not ready to do.

How do I measure torso height, from botto of hip bone or pelvis?

I've been flipping through other posts, and am curious if the Scenera might be a good temporary seat for the 2 year old til we get back from Georgia? It seems alot of people here use them for backup seats?

solmama

to measure torso height: have kiddo sit on the floor against a wall, measure from floor to top of shoulders. Good luck!

scatterbunny

My dd's torso height WAS 15 inches at about 2 years, 9 months, 38-39 inches tall and 35-36 pounds. :p But she was very tall and also long-torsoed at that age.

The Scenera's top slots are 14.5-15 inches tall, so probably not a great choice for the 2yo. If she were, say, 30 pounds and shorter in the torso I'd say go for it, because she could still rear-face (35 pound RF limit on the Scenera), but since she's forward-facing, 2yo and 34 pounds I'd go for a Graco Nautilus ($150). It will harness her to age 6-8, and it converts to a highback and backless booster (though it will expire when she's 8).

The Nautilus might work for the 6yo, too, since it has very tall top slots. If you want to keep her harnessed, knowing her torso height is important, since, like I said, my own 56# 6yo is too tall for many of the 65 pound weight limit seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC