Headlights in the Rain

Do you turn your headlights on when it is raining?

• Yes; always

Votes: 90 90.9%
  • Sometimes, if I think of it

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Only if it is dark

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

natysr

Do you always turn your headlights on when it is raining/drizzling?

To me it is common sense to do this. Last June it became law in California that if you are using your windshield wipers, then your lights must be on. Yet, today I noticed that people still are not turning their lights on.

ADS

tiggercat

I always turn my headlights on before I leave my parking space. Usually they are on when I turn on the car, but I have to check in case my husband turned them to Auto (only daytime running lights when it is light out), because I prefer to have full lights at all times.

southpawboston

always. why not? it only increases the safety of everyone around.

i grew up in NYS, where it's the law: if wipers are on, headlights must be on. so it's natural for me to do it everywhere.

scatterbunny

I actually drive with my headlights on 99% of the time. I RARELY forget. It's something I think is extremely important, not only in rain or dusk/dark, but all the time. On cloudy, gray days certain cars are hard to see; on bright, sunny days almost all cars are hard to see if you're looking into the sunlight. Driving with my headlights on is just one more part of defensive driving.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
Yes, always.

And people who drive cars that are gray/charcoal/silver (these colors are so popular now) REALLY need their lights on. They're almost invisible in certain conditions (fog, rain, etc.).

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I turn the headlights on as soon as I turn on the car and then I do up my seatbelt. I just find it easier to see others if they have their headlights on so I always put mine on.

SillyLily

I voted "other" because I always drive with my headlights on, regardless of weather. But now I see that that's what almost everyone does, and you all voted for the first option. Ooops!

It's habit to turn them on. It's dark in the garage I park in, so I turn them on as soon as I start the car.

seatchecker

Senior Community Member
It has been a law here for as long as I can remember - and I've been driving 23 years. I always turn them on - but close to 50% of drivers I see don't (every now and then I count when I am feeling cranky ;) )

beeman

I always run with my headlights on. When you just have running lights on there are no tail lights or clearance lights turned on. I can't stand vehicles without their lights on, so always run mine. (And my running lights are really pathetic).

natysr

Well, apparently those that don't turn them on are the ones that don't use carseat either...because they are not on this board. :p

minismom

Do you always turn your headlights on when it is raining/drizzling?

To me it is common sense to do this. Last June it became law in California that if you are using your windshield wipers, then your lights must be on. Yet, today I noticed that people still are not turning their lights on.

This is the law in NY too. I've always been confused why it says "when you're using your wipers" and not " when it's rainning". I hate windshield wipers, they get in my way more than the rain, so if it's just drizzling I dont use them. maybe i'll do one wipe every once in a while. So does that mean I don't get a ticket if I dont have my lights on?

solmama

Yup, I always turn mine on in the rain...but I lived in MN for 7 years and it was the law there, so it became a habit.

Leila

I answered for my DH since I don't actually drive. We were just talking about this recently as there have been several large pile-ups in this area during foggy/rainy/snowy conditions. Honestly, we were saying that if people had had their lights on, a lot of that might not have happened. Personally, I'd love to see all vehicles come with daytime running lamps as a standard feature in cars.

Mattkarn

My car has daytime running lights, there is no option for me to turn my headlights off. So yes, I always drive with them on in the rain.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC