Roundabout questions...

Mom2Livi

After reading some of these threads about the Roundabout, I'm a little bit worried about my DD outgrowing it too soon! :eek: She rides with her nana a lot throughout the week, and she has a Roundabout installed outboard in her Acura RDX. She didn't want a "big" car seat like my Marathon, we actually tried the Radian65 in her car but she didn't like the way it fit so she returned it. :rolleyes: She decided to go with the Roundabout and I had no objections, it is a very nice seat and I love it.

Well now after hearing that the shell is only 2 inches larger than the SS1, that has me concerned. How long did your kiddos last in the Roundabout RF? How long did they last in the seat altogether? My mother isn't opposed to buying a new car seat in the future, because I let her know that if she goes with a smaller seat she will have to buy another one to accomodate DD in her car. She said that was fine. But she will not want to switch seats before the Roundabout is outgrown... so if she gets to tall to RF in the Roundabout before she hits the max weight, do I just turn her around? I would not be comfortable doing that.

My DD is tiny. At 12 months she weighs 17.5 lbs and is 28" long.

ADS

keri1292

If that pic in your siggy is dd recently, she'll probably make it past two. She looks petite AND short torsoed. My son could RF in our RA until at least 2yo9mos, then it expired and we got an MA. He's also petite and short torsoed at 3½, 25lbs and even with the 2nd from the bottom slots RFing.

minismom

My DD is tiny. At 12 months she weighs 17.5 lbs and is 28" long.

My dd will be 12 months soon, she's 19'bs2 and 28.5". I just got her the RA. But at that rate, just like your dd, I'm pretty sure she'll outgrow the RA by heigh before she reaches the 35lbs max, or even 33. I was fully aware I'd need another convertible to keep her RF longer. I only bought the RA because I can then pass it along to another baby, and I wanted to take advantadge of a shorter shell while I can and between 2 kids i'll get plenty of use ouf of it. But it all depends on torso heigh though. When you have her in the seat, can you tell how much more room she has?

MomToEliEm

My kids outgrew the Roundabout rearfacing at around 20 months and both outgrew the seat forward facing at 3 years. I still think it was a great seat as it was so easy to use. The harness adjuster on it made it less likely that someone would mess up tightening the harness.

skaterbabs

Joy was close to outgrowing her RA by height around 18 mos, she'd have likely made it to around 20 months before outgrowing it by height completely rear facing. She reached the top slots around her third birthday.

Mom2Livi

Right now she's still using the bottom slots RF. I hope she makes it to at least 30 lbs or close to it RF in her Roundabout, otherwise I'll have to purchase a new seat myself or turn her. :(

And yes, that is my DD in my avatar pic, and it was taken in September when I first received her Marathon. She's still using the bottom slots in her Marathon as well.

skaterbabs

She can use the RA RF as long as she's under the weight limit and has more than 1" of shell above her head.

Suzibeck

I think she will be OK, given that she is petite. My youngest outgrew the RA rearfacing a week before she turned 3, that was going by the 1" above her head rule. She was 17lbs 6.5oz and 28" tall at a year, so just about your dd's size. At age 3, I was OK with turning her in her dad's car and she turned 4 or 5 months later in my van because of carpool issues. We still put her rf in her MA on occasion until she was nearly 5, and she went rf in her Scenera a few times after she was 5.

minismom

I think she will be OK, given that she is petite. My youngest outgrew the RA rearfacing a week before she turned 3, that was going by the 1" above her head rule. She was 17lbs 6.5oz and 28" tall at a year, so just about your dd's size. At age 3, I was OK with turning her in her dad's car and she turned 4 or 5 months later in my van because of carpool issues. We still put her rf in her MA on occasion until she was nearly 5, and she went rf in her Scenera a few times after she was 5.

:eek::eek::eek: Wow, really? I guess I have hope then!

Suzibeck

:eek::eek::eek: Wow, really? I guess I have hope then!

Yes! I should add that what height my dd has is in her legs; she is rather short torsoed, so that can make a difference as well. I think dd was still under 30# when she outgrew the RA rfing. I'm not sure how much she weighed at 3, but she is only 35# now at 5 1/2.

Niea

My DD is on the taller side, but not outrageously so (60-70th percentile). She is 33 mos and still fits in her Roundabout FF with about 1/2" or so to go before she's even with the top slots. I honestly thought it would be outgrown by now, but her legs seem to be growing faster than her torso, so that's probably why she still fits great. She wears cloth diapers now (though they are very trim) and I'm sure when she potty learns, which should be very soon, she'll have even more room.

sirrahn

My youngest was also about 17.5 lbs at a year although she was taller...31". Most of her height is in her legs though and she fit rfing in her RA until she was 30 months.

Synchro246

Yes, I've read it. :thumbsup:

I'm just worried that she will outgrow it RF by height too soon. Then I'm not sure what we'll do.

Well, hopefully you'll have a while before you have to cross the bridge. My big guy outgrew it RF around 21mos (but he outgrew everything 33lb limiy RF by 23 months anyway). I ended up just turning him as it was my mom's carseat and he didn't use it much.
There are (relatively) inexpensive 35lb limit taller options like the EFTA and if you are planning on having another baby some time in the future the RA won't go to waste ;)

super_grape

my 2 year old is still rfing in her RA.
she has a few inches to go yet.
she's not petite but is a little on the short side,
well compared to her older sister who outgrew
it rfig around 18 months.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC