rear-facing tether tests, statistics, etc.

tcottawa

I'm trying to make up my mind about the rear-facing tether, and I'd love to see any articles/stats about it that are NOT written by manufacturers...anyone have links please?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
And from page 34 of the LATCH manual (the carseat installation Bible published by www.saferidenews.com), there's this:
"The Swedish and Under-seat tether positions reduced movement in a rear crash and slightly increased neck loads, but they were well below NHTSA injury criteria".

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The thing about the head excursion number is that it indicates the likelihood that the head will strike something in the vehicle interior...if the head strikes something, the risk of injury is considerably increased. Like parachuting, it's not so much the falling that hurts, it's the landing. So to prevent injury, you'd want the head striking nothing, ideally (or at least just a seat shell lined with EPS/EPP foam to absorb a good deal of energy).

Chex

I've thought a lot about this too. And I finally tethered my baby's BLVD. I did it for a different reason, though. I watched some of the crash tests where it showed the carseat flying sideways on rebound, not just straight back toward the backseat. Well, with 4 kids, everybody's next to somebody else, so my baby's seat is right next to my 2 year old's seat. And the thought of that massive seat rebounding into my 2 year old was what made me tether it. So while I worry a little bit about my baby's head excursion in a frontal crash, I worry more about my 2 year old being hit with a carseat.

And while frontal crashes are the most common, that includes the off-set frontal crashes where the sideways rebound is likely to occur.

-Ann

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC