Ambulance CSRs

ThreeBeans

I thought some of you might appreciate this.

Transporting children in an ambulance has a certain amount of difficulty to it. It's fairly impossible to securely place a small child on a stretcher. The harness simply does not secure tightly enough. Furthermore, EMS is required by law to use CSRs. However, with a severely injured or ill child, the rule is sort of tossed out the window. You can't work on a dying child who is strapped in a car seat :(

We stopped by one of DH's jobs tonight to visit Daddy and see what Bean the First calls "The Daddy Trucks" (he emphatically refuses to acknowelege that once upon a time they were also mommy trucks :rolleyes:)

100_0223.jpg

100_0224.jpg

See the blue chair in the back, facing the rear of the ambulance? That is called the 'airway' seat and is where the paramedic or EMT who is managing the patient's airway will sit. It is also where the car seat for non-critically ill patients older than a year can be harnessed.

The blue flap is pulled down

100_0214.jpg

100_0213.jpg

You can see the directions specify older than 1 year, greater than 20 pounds, and up to 50 pounds. It's interesting the distinction is made considering the seat is, by default, rear-facing.

100_0206.jpg

The seat has IMMI components. You can see the chest clip and the harness adjuster. There is one at each hip and that is how the harness is tightened.

100_0212.jpg

A hat-headed mulleted Bean

100_0217.jpg

A hat-headed mulleted royally ticked off Bean. (In case you are wondering, she is ticked off because I shifted positions.)

100_0220.jpg

This is from an older ambulance. You can see the old style chest clip and adjuster.

100_0222.jpg

This is a stretcher. It is designed for adult patients, with a four point restraint at the shoulders and hips, a 2 point belt at the thighs, and another 2 point belt at the calves. We are required to use an infant carrier for a child under 20 lbs, and it needs to be installed on this seat. As you can imagine, it's not an ideal installation.

100_0225.jpg

100_0226.jpg

This is the best I could do with the SS1. Raising the head portion of the stretcher somewhat improves the stability. Obviously, in an impact, the seat is going to go forward, and there will be nothing there for it to rebound against.

100_0232.jpg

ADS

crunchierthanthou

very cool.

Do you think the age restriction on the integrated seat is related to the angle? It's pretty upright for an infant. Or maybe the fixed harness height?

keri1292

Very interesting! :thumbsup:

I remember being weirded out when I had to install ds1's seat on a sideways facing seat when dd was taken by ambulance for a possible seizure (which it wasn't). It was the only seat available.

ThreeBeans

but do they expire? :whistle:

LMAO!

I couldn't find any reference to an expiry on the seat, but I didn't think to look very hard, either.

CTT, you are probably right; it's probably due to the angle. Although I would be comfortable using it for any child who was able to sit upright without assistance, honestly. Basically, there is NOTHING safe about riding in the back of an ambulance. LOL.

ffpmcps

We have the exact same integrated CSS as in the first set of pics in our ambos. It does not have an expiration, and yes it is a fixed height harness. Great pics. I have tried my DDs in ours, but never taken any pics, I really should for training and such.

Andrea

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks for the pictures! They're great for those of us who've never had the pleasure of riding in an ambulance.

CaseyRN

Talking about how unsafe it really is to ride in the back of an ambulance. I am sure there are plenty of projectiles in a collision!

ThreeBeans

Talking about how unsafe it really is to ride in the back of an ambulance. I am sure there are plenty of projectiles in a collision!

I caught a LifePak12 in the gut once. Those suckers are HEAVY and BIG. Doesn't inspire much confidence in the patient when the paramedic is bent over crying, wheezing, and turning purple. :rolleyes:

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Those pics are great! :thumbsup:

I've been involved in EMS/public safety since I was 18 (I'm waaaaay older than that now!) and where I am in CT I've yet to see an ambulance with the integrated seat! :thumbsdown:

I've had to fight partners over the use of car seats before. If the pediatric patient is not critical, I want (in compliance with the law) a car seat used. Some ambulances I've been on carry them...the fold up or blow up type...and some don't. Both are a pain. Parents don't want to take the time to uninstall from their vehicle but sometimes that's the only option. It can definitely be a problem!

In addition to little or no CSR use in ambulances is the problem of no seat belt use. IIRC, here in CT seat belts are required by the crew if possible...meaning if you can treat your patient with one on. I'm as obsessive about seatbelts as I am about car seats...but it's not possible to do CPR with a seat belt on..at least not for me, I'm only 5'3"!

Michi

Neat!
My mom was an ICU nurse, but she had a 2nd job with our city's ambulance service. I got several tours of the ambulances back then. (This was way back in the late 80's though, so it's neat to see how much things have changed!)

(Oh - and I remember her saying that SHE was probably the worst projectile! She said that she was constantly being thrown about in the box!):eek: I can't even imagine!

ffpmcps

OMG I say that to pts all the time :p That I have never been surfing but I think I would be pretty good at it LOL

Andrea

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC