I think I helped two families at BRU today...

Gsanmb

So I am at BRU buying diapers and checking out the EFTA and just browsing.

I overhear the salesman telling this couple the virtue of the AO 3-in-1 and I am cringing! Oh, it'll last til they're 100 lbs. and gets great reviews! (Not mentioning the harness can only be used til 40 lbs.!)

I waited til the salesman went...wherever...and said (in a polite way), you know, that seat is really hard to install properly rear facing - you might want to think about something else. So the couple was very interested in what I was saying and I explained the ERF benefits, and harness benefits, and what a booster was really for etc. and that kids usually aren't mature enough to sit in one til they're at least 6 (!) and then you should use a dedicated BPB.

They were very receptive! Then another lady comes up and says she was listening and what did I think about her situation (infant outgrowing snugride at 5 months). So I talked about the EFTA and the Britax seats etc. and EFR limits, etc.

When I left, the first couple was trying to decide b/t the EFTA and the Marathon, and the other lady was going to order a Boulevard online.

Yay! (I did explain I wasn't a CPST, just a carseat fanatic, and I told both to come here for more info!). I feel like I made a difference for a couple little babies today. :thumbsup::love:

Funny aside...the first lady said (after I told why the AO didn't do any one job well b/c it tried to do too many things), "well no wonder they're on clearance). LOL

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
LOL "No wonder they're on clearance." Too true!

Congrats for you. :) I had a chat today with a WM employee who thought the AOE became a backless booster. Sigh.

Wendy

Gsanmb

Thanks guys! It really felt so good and reinforced my motivation to become a real CPST!

Then you start feeling like you should hang out all day there because you just KNOW they've sold 20 other AO's that day...sigh...

And today on my community's email list was a mom wanting to borrow a FF toddler seat b/c her babe just turned a year old. I emailed her telling her the benefits of ERF and that the minimum was a year AND 20 lbs., but she just said well the pediatrician told me to turn the baby and recommended an OHS seat. :mad: I wrote back and said, well, go to (this website) and read up a little, maybe you'll find out which seat you want. Hopefully an easy link will provide some food for thought...sigh...

Kat_Momof3

Good job!! This way they won't be scratching their heads why their "only seat you ever need" ends up outgrown at 3yrs old."

dhardawa

I have done this before and it does make you feel great knowing you are keeping a kid out of a seat that probably won't be used correctly because it has so many issues. I normally approach parents and say, "Would you like me to tell you why you DON'T want that seat?"

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
This way they won't be scratching their heads why their "only seat you ever need" ends up outgrown at 3yrs old."

Unfortunately, I think that a great many parents won't end up scratching their heads...they'll either a) not realize the harness is outgrown and continue to use to 100lbs or until they can't get the harness around the child anymore or b) realize the harness is outgrown and convert to a booster, without realizing this is not safe for a 3 year old. :thumbsdown:

Gsanmb

Yeah, sigh.

Speaking of which, today I took 2 girls home from an activity with me for a playdate (second graders). They both said, "we don't ride in boosters anymore."

I said, "in my car you do!"

And put them properly into TB's (and made them keep the shoulder strap on). :rolleyes:

amyg530

way to go! speaking of the 3 in 1's on clearance, has anybody noticed that albeebaby has like all the 3 in 1's on sale? maybe, just maybe the popularity is fadeing

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Yeah, sigh.

Speaking of which, today I took 2 girls home from an activity with me for a playdate (second graders). They both said, "we don't ride in boosters anymore."

I said, "in my car you do!"

And put them properly into TB's (and made them keep the shoulder strap on). :rolleyes:

You big bully :p. I can imagine them talking about how mean you were LOL.

Gsanmb

You big bully :p. I can imagine them talking about how mean you were LOL.

I am a big meanie! :p

They sort of just looked at me like I had suddenly sprouted another head. It was kind of funny. But although they each automatically (AGH!) pulled the shoulderbelt off and tried to stick it behind them (not to be difficult, I imagine this is what they generally do :eek:) I re-adjusted and re-buckled and said, "this is the way we ride in our family's car." And smiled and gave everyone a Hershey kiss :eek:

ETA: Maybe I should just carry a big bag of Hershey Kisses around and distribute them to people if they use their carseats correctly. It worked for potty training (no flames! please!) so why not?! LOL

ETA (again): Playmate just came over to me and asked if she could ride in the "cool booster" (i.e. Compass b510 daisy) when I take her home...maybe I'll tell her mom about it.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor

They sort of just looked at me like I had suddenly sprouted another head. It was kind of funny. But although they each automatically (AGH!) pulled the shoulderbelt off and tried to stick it behind them (not to be difficult, I imagine this is what they generally do :eek:) I re-adjusted and re-buckled and said, "this is the way we ride in our family's car." And smiled and gave everyone a Hershey kiss :eek:

ETA: Maybe I should just carry a big bag of Hershey Kisses around and distribute them to people if they use their carseats correctly. It worked for potty training (no flames! please!) so why not?! LOL

ETA (again): Playmate just came over to me and asked if she could ride in the "cool booster" (i.e. Compass b510 daisy) when I take her home...maybe I'll tell her mom about it.

My friend kids look at me funny too if I tell them in my truck you ride in a booster. My 11 yo DN gets really mad that I tell my sister not to let him ride in the front seat until he is 13 yo or older.

Do tell her mom she likes the seat! MAybe she will get her one.

dd9736

I overheard a mom saying her son wanted a seat like his cousin's and the boy asking was riding in just the seatbelt. I don't thiink the mom ever did put him back in a booster though :( even though I did suggest he'd be more comfortable in the booster

Kat_Momof3

that's great you had them in boosters. I honestly think that my second grader is the only one in his entire grade big enough to go without a booster.

Gsanmb

I debated with myself for a while, ;)

But then the salesman walked away and I just thought, you know, *I* would want to know if I was about to waste over $100.

Plus I was really polite, like, "oh wow, you know that seat is SO hard to install rearfacing...." and then I went into my shpiel. But I started gently. :eek:

luvmy2

That is a good way to do it! I should start speaking up more.. around this area though it's great if people keep their children in a booster past age 4. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC