changes to the RA manual

crunchierthanthou

update as of 1/24/2008

Rear-Facing
Weight 5 – 35 pounds (2.3 – 15.9 kg).

Use rear-facing only with children:
-who weigh between 5 and 35 lbs. (2.3 – 15.9 kg.) and
-the top of the child’s head is 1” (2.5 cm.) or more below the top of the child seat (Fig. A) and
-the harness straps are in the nearest slots at or below the child’s shoulders.

If the child cannot be secured within these requirements because the child exceeds height or weight requirements, review the
forward-facing guidelines on page 7.
If the child cannot be secured within these requirements because the child is too small, selection of a different child seat (such as an infant carrier) may be required.

They've put in writing both the 1" and at or below rf rules. Britax is really bumming me out today. :(

well, except for that 35 lb weight limit. woo!

Last edited:
ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
This must mean they are getting ready to release seats with the new 35 lb RF limit. Yay!
Why does the 1 inch rule bum you out?

crunchierthanthou

Just because the RA is outgrown rf so soon. And that there isn't really a whole lot of data supporting the 1" guideline. From what I understand, it's somewhat arbitrary and started with the evenflo infant seats.

another good point (right on the weight and height limits page. in fact, the first info listed):

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics: All infants should ride rear-facing until they have reached at least 1 year of age and weigh at least 20 pounds. That means that if your infant reaches 20 pounds before her first birthday, she should remain rear-facing at least until she turns 1 year old. It is best for children to ride rear-facing to the highest weight or height allowed by the manufacturer.

:thumbsup:

natysr

I always thought Britax allowed the head to be even with the top of the seat shell; although I don't recall the manuel to my Marathon stating anything at all about the level of the head in relation to the seatshell for RF.

If they are going to go with 1" below for all their seats, I may very well have a child that outgrows RF by height before weight.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Just because the RA is outgrown rf so soon. And that there isn't really a whole lot of data supporting the 1" guideline. From what I understand, it's somewhat arbitrary and started with the evenflo infant seats.

another good point (right on the weight and height limits page. in fact, the first info listed):

:thumbsup:

I can see if someone has a taller child how that would affect people. Tucker is so short her seats will probably expire before she even comes close to outgrowing them.

crunchierthanthou

I always thought Britax allowed the head to be even with the top of the seat shell; although I don't recall the manuel to my Marathon stating anything at all about the level of the head in relation to the seatshell for RF.

If they are going to go with 1" below for all their seats, I may very well have a child that outgrows RF by height before weight.

They didn't state rf height limits in their manuals until recently (last summer's Diplomat release was the first one).

It always just said not to use once the child's ears were even with the top of the shell, with no specification regarding ff or rf. IME, they would tell you the top of the head even with the top of the shell for rf when you called.

LuvBug

why are they backtracking? what has changed? has anything showed up in testing?

I dont expect you to answer these... just venting the questions lol!

But yay! for the 35lbs limit!

crunchierthanthou

why are they backtracking? what has changed? has anything showed up in testing?

I'm glad you asked. you see, it's because... yeah, just as clueless as you. ;) Maybe they'll have another training or someone can accost them at lifesavers. Oh, or better yet- a chat. Joy, are you listening?

They also included the "at or above for ff" rule. Whereas before, the height limit only adressed the tops of the ears in relation to the shell.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I'm glad you asked. you see, it's because... yeah, just as clueless as you. ;) Maybe they'll have another training or someone can accost them at lifesavers. Oh, or better yet- a chat. Joy, are you listening?

They also included the "at or above for ff" rule. Whereas before, the height limit only adressed the tops of the ears in relation to the shell.

You want me to stomp on thier toes at Lifesavers :rolleyes:

katiesmommy

It seems to me that they are trying to align with other companies, which in my honest opinion is completly idiotic of them, they are making it almost not worth it to buy a Britax.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC