Q about safeguard install and airbags, headrests.

niccig

I put our safeguard seat in for DS yesterday. I must admit I didn't like the ratcheting latch at first. I didn't like that I couldn't manually tighten it - there was no satisification from sitting on the seat and really pulling it tight. It was in tight when I did it, but I think DH's extra weight got the latch a little tighter from compressing the vehicle seat more and making the latch tighten more.

My questions.
Currently the headrest is at a lower height, but if it was at it's highest and in the passenger outboard position, the top of the headrest would be about 2" from the SRS airbag pillar in my car. Is this too close? It doesn't touch it.

When the headrest of the safeguard is fully extended, my car headrest (can't be removed) is pushed against it - it doesn't push the seat forward at all, just makes it difficult to get your hand to the headrest adjuster. Is this OK? Again, it's at a lower position now and it's fine.

My car center seat has the seatbelt from the roof and then attaches to the seat to make a combination shoulder/lapbelt. Can you use this type of seatbelt to install the seat? In the manual, they said you couldn't use seat belts that retract at the shoulder and the lap belt. It's a Subaru center position, so getting it in there, might be impossible anyway.

I'll have to keep headrests and airbags in mind when we replace my car. At the moment the safeguards head rest is at a lower height, but I plan to use this seat for the full life, so it must fit in the next car. With larger seats coming on the market, car manufacturers will have to let you remove the headrest. Thankfully, DH's Prius headrests can be removed, the Como wouldn't fit with the headrest installed.

Oh, DS's reaction when he saw the seat and that it was FF, "oh wow, fancy seat mama." Then he proceeded to chat up a storm telling DH which way to drive and when to stop at traffic lights.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL, I love the ratcheting LATCH! I get satisfaction from getting it tight without having to actually do much of anything.

For your questions: The airbag shouldn't be an issue, but check your vehicle's manual to make sure.

Your seat belt is fine. The one the manual refers to has a sewn-on latch plate that is very rare--not the kind you have.

As long as the headrest doesn't interfere with the installation, it shouldn't be a problem. You probably won't need to adjust the height of the seat very often, so you could always uninstall it when you do, to make it easier to move.

Definitely take the seat with you when you go to look at cars. We test-drove a Tahoe the other day, and the sales guy was very supportive of my trying the seat in there (anything for a sale, I guess). He even carried it across the parking lot for me :)

Jacks

We have a SG seat for our son as well. It is installed in the center of my car with the seatbelt because outboard, the headwings actually touch the side airbags. We can't use it outboard in my VW Passat Wagon for this reason. Your car should be just fine with 2" of space. (That might rule out a Passat for you. HA) :rolleyes: I also love the way it installs with LATCH but after a few times installing with the seatbelt it is just as easy.

As far as being installed with a seatbelt coming from the roof, check the SG manual. I seem to remember a few pictures of seatbelts that weren't allowed to be used with this seat. Also, check your vehicle owners manual. You should find lots of info there. (Check your LATCH limit too). I agree, since the SG is so easy to install, take it with you while car shopping. :) Hope this helps.

niccig

The car manual said to not put anything between you and the airbag, like rest your head on a pillow against the pillar, nor rest your head on the pillar. I think we're fine. We'll have a new car by the time DS gets tall enough anyways. But now I know what to look for when we car shop - headrests that come off, enough space between carseat and SRS airbag, and seatbelt install for the center.

vamom

Don't have anything to add about the seat, but wanted to say that I drug my husky through the car lot when I went car shopping. Several sales people stopped to see what I was doing, but when I narrowed the search, I spent some time installing the seat. I 'm pretty sure they thought I was crazy, but I love the husky and the car had to work with it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC