SO: Why the keyfit?

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
SO: Why the keyfit? **Updated with Pics**

I loved my SS1, whats the reason for all the keyfit love? lol I thought I had my mind made up on which bucket I was gonna get...not so much now.

Last edited:
ADS

steph

Let's see...
1. If you think the SS1 is easy to install the keyfit is easier (has LATCH like Britax vs the clips like the SS1) and the seat belt install is so easy.
2. feels more sturdy - just feel the plastic on the graco vs the keyfit - it just feels like a better constructed seat to me
3. harness adjuster is smooth like butter - so nice
4. chest clip isn't huge
5. fits small babies well - love the infant insert and head support
6. takes up less room than the SS1 - The SS1's shell is bigger

-Despite the fact that the SS1 goes to 32 inches and the keyfit to 30 - the Keyfit has a way deeper shell so although the shell isn't as long, it is deeper. Ryan would have made it to 15-16 months in the keyfit30 and about 18-19 months in the SS1 and he has and is a big boy.

Bottom line they are both great seats I just feel that the Keyfit is better made and has a few better/easier qualities to it but in the end the are pretty equal, it's not like your comparing the SS1 an evenflo:twocents:

cso1997

I love the smoothness of the harness, the ease of installation (I just use the belt because it takes longer to get the LATCH connectors out...ha ha), the headrest actually cradles the head and keeps it from bending to the side, the body insert is great for making baby feel nice and cozy, the handle can be left up (unlike the Companion that I was considering), it snaps in and out of the base with ease. I just love everything about it. It was actually hard to move DD1 into a Britax seat. Thank goodness I had another quickly so I could use the Keyfit again. My DD1 made it to 12 months and probably could have used it longer but we weren't sure what her weight was (she had enough height room). Oh and I love the fabric on the Keyfit. Not soft but very, very easy to clean!! It is padded plenty but isn't fuzzy fabric. I think the Keyfit fabrics are very classy. And they have survived many a blow out (I have two different covers).

The SS is nice for larger babies but it comes at too big a price for me. The Keyfit is very easy to carry but the SS is just too bulky. I am sure I would want to leave it in the car all the time which kind of defeats the purpose of having an infant seat. The only thing that I would change about the Keyfit is the canopy. But then again, I rarely ever use it.

ETA: Oh yeah Steph, thanks for reminding me. The small chest clip, the great LATCH connectors, the deep shell and the sturdier feel. Yeah, those things too!!

Last edited:

steph

I forgot about the Keyfit cover washing up so nicely. Ours had a few blowouts too and you can't even tell!!!

LuvBug

For me it is that- I don't care if the safeseat is the best buy for the money and that it will last the longest and all that. I'm not interested in an infant seat that could last to 25-30lbs. I just want an infant seat that is easy to use, comfy, and smooth. I really like the keyfit for that. Then I'll move to a rearfacing convertible when it is outgrown or I no longer enjoy the infant seat option.

Those are just my feelings for if I had another child...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The only down side of my key fit was that the foot area was wider so it wasn't possible to cram it into some strollers (Well, yeah, sure most people don't think about illegally cramming carseats into strollers, but it's a minor hobby of mine... :whistle:) (you can probably see the difference in foot area if you click on the link in my siggy...)

LuvBug

(Well, yeah, sure most people don't think about illegally cramming carseats into strollers, but it's a minor hobby of mine... :whistle:)

:ROTFLMAO: I dont know what I'd do about a stroller... probably use the universal and then move to the vogue sans infant seat.

elle7715

I don't want to derail the thread, but could everyone who likes it say whether they got the 22 or 30, and why? :)

LuvBug

I don't have either, but I've had experience with the 22. I'd have to play with the 30 in store to see if it was any different than the 22. If it was the same as the 22 then I'd probably get it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I got the 22 because my other kids were well over a year old before they weighed that, this one was the same :) (If they had been fast gainers and like 24 pounds at 7 months, the 30 would have totally been my choice!)

cso1997

I have the 22 (the 30 wasn't out yet). DD1 made it to 12 months in the 22 and I think that is more that enough for an infant seat. DD1 was ready to sit way more upright in a convertible seat at that point. DD2 seems to be gaining faster so we will have to see. If the shells are completely the same (I am pretty sure they are) then given a second chance, I would probably go for the 30 just in case.

Last edited:

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
well i went to bru today and have some pics of aleah in the keyfit (yea my 19 month old still fits...lol...with plenty of room too)

ill update with pics shortly

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC