Is this car seat expired?

U

Unregistered

I have an Evenflo Triumph. The sticker on the back says manufactured in 07APR03. In raised letters in the plastic it says "Do not use this product after December 31, 2007."
Isn't that only 4.5 years? On the Evenflo website it says they recommend a 6 year life span for seats. Has this seat expired or not?

ADS
I have an Evenflo Triumph. The sticker on the back says manufactured in 07APR03. In raised letters in the plastic it says "Do not use this product after December 31, 2007."
Isn't that only 4.5 years? On the Evenflo website it says they recommend a 6 year life span for seats. Has this seat expired or not?

I'm no tech, but if it says not to use after that date, then I wouldnt use it.

crunchierthanthou

I think the old Triumphs had a 5 year expiration. Do you still have the manual? Weird that it would be embossed for less than that, but I think you'd have to follow it. :(

debbiemomof2

I'm the OP, had to register to answer your question. I studied the manual 3 times and could not find anything mentioning that the car seat expires. No length of time or even anything telling you to check the date on the seat.

Megan

The exact same thing happened to me. Here is the link where I posted about this:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=14796

Very annoying to only get 4.5 years out of that seat. I had hoped to use it as a backup seat for my second child :mad: But, we went ahead and stopped using it and got a Cosco Scenera (only $45), which I am pretty happy with.

Synchro246

I think the old Triumphs had a 5 year expiration. Do you still have the manual? Weird that it would be embossed for less than that, but I think you'd have to follow it. :(

They emboss all their seats with the same date, dec 31st. So people who buy a seat that was made in the spring get less out of it compared to people who buy one that was made in the fall.

If it had a five year expirey I'd be willing to make the parental decision to use it up to April 6th of this year (day before its 5th birthday), however I'm NOT a tech.

ETA--Megan, I remember your thread. It was a good one :)

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
They emboss all their seats with the same date, dec 31st. So people who buy a seat that was made in the spring get less out of it compared to people who buy one that was made in the fall.

If it had a five year expirey I'd be willing to make the parental decision to use it up to April 6th of this year (day before its 5th birthday), however I'm NOT a tech.

ETA--Megan, I remember your thread. It was a good one :)

:yeahthat:

debbiemomof2

Thanks everyone. I figured it would be OK to use a little bit longer, but I was actively searching for a new seat anyway. I ended up finding a Graco Nautilus for my ds yesterday. I just wasn't sure if the seat was done or still had a year left of use. I guess it is done.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC