Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

What to do when someone just doesnt want to hear what you have to say??

So I was at BRU today buying an EFTA. I was trying it on the little bench seat they have and two other ladies were looking at carseats. I "installed" it rear facing on the bench seat and put my 2.5 y/o in it to see how much leg room she had. The lady next to me asked "how old is she? Does she still sit backwards?" She genuinely wanted to know and was interested so I gave a good speech on all the new recommendations and said that is why the carseats go up to 30/33/35 pounds RF...its not just for fat 1 year olds Bigger kids should be RF too. She was very interested and asked why and then asked more about the EFTA I was trying. I explained how because of the high top slots it could be used until most kids were 5 or 6 years old where as the other seats (and I guestered to other seats) can only hold to 4 or and being harnessed longer is much safer. Well another lady was trying a Titan Deluxe or whatever its called on the bench next to me and she says "well that doesn't really matter, a kid can go in a booster when they are 4" So I said "well some of those seats won't even get them to 4 and the new recommendations coming out are that kids shoudl be harnessed as long as possible because most 4 year olds aren't mature enough to sit in a booster. Thats why so many new seats go to 50 or 65 pounds because they are following those new recommendations." I was being very nice and polite. She looked skeptical so I sort of fibbed and told her I was a CPS tech (well I will be next month...) Naughty I know, but I wanted to get my point across that I knew what I was talking about. So then she says "well I worked at a preschool and we put 3 and 4 year olds in boosters all the time. I think I know what I am talking about more than you do since I always did it." Ummm.....so a preschool teacher knows more about carseats than a CPST????? I just decided I was done trying my EFTA out and didn't really know what else to say. The other lady thanked me for the info. I just hope she listened to me over the other lady. She truly wanted to know about seats! What do you do when the person flat out contradicts things and gives wrong info and just doesn't want to listen to what you have to say?? Do you keep trying or just give up?? Sorry so long!!!

E 8y 43 lbs 58" Harmony NBB
    S 7y 52 lbs 54" Harmony NBB
    J-4y 38 lbs Graco Headwise 70 Britax Roundabout 50

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: What to do when someone just doesnt want to hear what you have to say??

Quote Originally Posted by Eviesmama View Post
    What do you do when the person flat out contradicts things and gives wrong info and just doesn't want to listen to what you have to say?? Do you keep trying or just give up?? Sorry so long!!!
    as the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't force it to drink. you led the horse to water. that's all you can do.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

bite your tounge, smile nicely, and then scream when you get in your car
    Amy, CPST & mom to
    Connor 7y- 46# 49in -Monterrey, HB TB, backless amp
    Collin 5y - 45# 41in -MA, Regent and booster training

I always open that conversation with the reminder that the brain synapses that govern impulse control don't develop until 5 or 6 years old, and a child not sitting properly is not protected since the booster doesn't restrain them. Then you remind them of the 3 yo who knows he is not supposed to spit, but does it anyway because he just cannot control the impulse.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Senior Community Member

To her statement about doing it all the time in her school I would have said: "well, just because people do it doesn't make it safe. Until one of those 3yo you're putting in boosters get in a crash and survive and can't say you know anything!" Mean, I know. And wouldn't have made her like you or take your advice. But it was a lot cause anyway. I agree with SBP on that!
    DD 5.5yo, 38lbs, 43" - FF in a Radian XT and Frontier85 SICT
    DS 3yo, 33lbs, 38" - RF in Radian XT and Britax MT

Senior Community Member mamabear's Avatar

smile, politely tell them you'll pray for them and walk away

I don't know. I really don't have any patients for people like this, and I like to argue, so I have to walk away.

Or my other fav "good luck with that!!"

Senior Community Member katiesmommy's Avatar

Like everyoe else is saying, there's only so much you can do. All you can do is provide the information, it's up to them wether to use it or not.

You did what you could! She may very well look into now because of you!
    Katie, proud mom to one brilliant boy.
    4 years old, 44'' tall, 16.25'' torso, 42 lbs.
    Riding in a Britax Regent - Onyx