What to do when someone just doesnt want to hear what you have to say??

fyrfightermomma

So I was at BRU today buying an EFTA. I was trying it on the little bench seat they have and two other ladies were looking at carseats. I "installed" it rear facing on the bench seat and put my 2.5 y/o in it to see how much leg room she had. The lady next to me asked "how old is she? Does she still sit backwards?" She genuinely wanted to know and was interested so I gave a good speech on all the new recommendations and said that is why the carseats go up to 30/33/35 pounds RF...its not just for fat 1 year olds :) Bigger kids should be RF too. She was very interested and asked why and then asked more about the EFTA I was trying. I explained how because of the high top slots it could be used until most kids were 5 or 6 years old where as the other seats (and I guestered to other seats) can only hold to 4 or and being harnessed longer is much safer. Well another lady was trying a Titan Deluxe or whatever its called on the bench next to me and she says "well that doesn't really matter, a kid can go in a booster when they are 4" So I said "well some of those seats won't even get them to 4 and the new recommendations coming out are that kids shoudl be harnessed as long as possible because most 4 year olds aren't mature enough to sit in a booster. Thats why so many new seats go to 50 or 65 pounds because they are following those new recommendations." I was being very nice and polite. She looked skeptical so I sort of fibbed and told her I was a CPS tech (well I will be next month...) Naughty I know, but I wanted to get my point across that I knew what I was talking about. So then she says "well I worked at a preschool and we put 3 and 4 year olds in boosters all the time. I think I know what I am talking about more than you do since I always did it." Ummm.....so a preschool teacher knows more about carseats than a CPST????? I just decided I was done trying my EFTA out and didn't really know what else to say. The other lady thanked me for the info. I just hope she listened to me over the other lady. She truly wanted to know about seats! What do you do when the person flat out contradicts things and gives wrong info and just doesn't want to listen to what you have to say?? Do you keep trying or just give up?? Sorry so long!!!

ADS

southpawboston

What do you do when the person flat out contradicts things and gives wrong info and just doesn't want to listen to what you have to say?? Do you keep trying or just give up?? Sorry so long!!!

as the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't force it to drink. you led the horse to water. that's all you can do.

skaterbabs

I always open that conversation with the reminder that the brain synapses that govern impulse control don't develop until 5 or 6 years old, and a child not sitting properly is not protected since the booster doesn't restrain them. Then you remind them of the 3 yo who knows he is not supposed to spit, but does it anyway because he just cannot control the impulse. ;)

minismom

To her statement about doing it all the time in her school I would have said: "well, just because people do it doesn't make it safe. Until one of those 3yo you're putting in boosters get in a crash and survive and can't say you know anything!" Mean, I know. And wouldn't have made her like you or take your advice. But it was a lot cause anyway. I agree with SBP on that!

mamabear

smile, politely tell them you'll pray for them and walk away:p

I don't know. I really don't have any patients for people like this, and I like to argue, so I have to walk away.

Or my other fav "good luck with that!!"

katiesmommy

Like everyoe else is saying, there's only so much you can do. All you can do is provide the information, it's up to them wether to use it or not.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC