Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Delta or Northwest for traveling with small children?

We're looking at tickets, and it looks like we can choose between Delta and Northwest for the same price...

Which is better for carseats? We'll be traveling with four children, ages 4, 3, 2, and 4mo.

Thanks!
    DS1, 15yo, 5 steps
    DS2, 14yo, 5 steps
    DS3, 13yo, 5 steps
    DD, 11yo, backless booster
    DD, 5yo, 52 lbs, harnessed in a Chicco MyFit, just outgrew Clicktight Blvd.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Delta or Northwest for traveling with small children?

I have only flown on Delta a few times, but not with a car seat. The seats are a little bigger than Southwests seat if that helps any. I have never flown Northwest.
    Lisa - CPSTI
    Mom to Tucker, 5 years old, 29.2 lbs, 39.25 inches tall who has a variety of different carseats to ride in.
    My new grandson is my signature photo

Carseat Crazy

I have never flown Delta, but we flew Northwest a couple months ago. The "economy class" had the least legroom of any airline I have ever been on. The plane was old. It was just yucky in my opinion.

I think most planes seats that are similar width-wise, but I honestly think there wouldn't have been much room to install a seat RFing. DD didn't have a lot of room when her MA was installed FFing. In other words, she could very easily kick the seat in front of her. That was my experience with Northwest. The people were helpful, and there really wasn't any hassle in respect to flying with a Canadian seat on an American carrier. No one even asked to see the sticker. The reps at the gate made sure that we could pre-board, and even checked our gate passes before the plane arrived at the terminal to de-plane. Friendly - yes. Comfy-not all all.
    DD (10y&68lbs&132cm) - Harmony LB booster
    DS (8y&50lbs&117cm) - Britax Parkway SG and Compass B505C

Carseat Crazy

I always fly delta and have had no problem getting car seats to install (last trip I installed the Boulevard RF-ing). I'm sure it's also dependent on your flight attendants - but every single time I have been traveling with children, the delta flight attendants have been extremely helpful.

Nathan - FF-ing in a Frontier
    Logan - RF-ing in a Boulevard
    Megan - RF-ing in a Boulevard

Carseat Crazy

We flew Northwest once and I will NEVER fly with them again. We fly quite a bit with children and they were not helpful, rude and seated my son, who was 2 at the time, 5 rows ahead of us and didn't see that as a problem. We had no problem installing our roundabout, but the lack of customer service and rudeness of their staff was disappointing. After a horrible experience the icing on the cake was losing all of our luggage. We weren't the only ones...they lost all the luggage for the entire flight....I don't know much about the responsibilites of luggage carriers, but wouldn't you notice that?? I would go with Delta.

Tasha, mom to Brendan, Colin and Brynn
    Brendan, 1/04, 68lbs monterey
    Colin, 8/07, 42lbs regent or radian
    Brynn, 11/08, 32lbs rearfacing in marathon

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy090804 View Post
    Friendly - yes. Comfy-not all all.

Loved the people, but had serious fears that the plane may sputter and fall from the sky.

But, no carseat troubles!
    Maiya ~ 12y/80lbs ~ Jane Indy Plus ~ Hayden ~ 9y/55lbs ~ SK Monterey ~ Quinn ~ 8y/45lbs ~ RXT ~ Mitchell ~ 18m/24lbs ~ Arctic Cat MA