Did Oregon change their carseat laws this year??

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I have a friend is wanting to know what the law is for Oregon as she has some local friends that she feels are putting their children at risk. Before I tell her the current laws I want to know if any new ones regarding carseats have passed?

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
http://www.actsoregon.org/csr/subtext/law.html

Oregon Laws Regarding Child Passengers

ORS 811.210

A child who is under four years of age and weighs 40 pounds or less must be properly secured with a child safety system designed for children weighing 40 pounds or less.

A child who is at least four years of age and under six years of age or weighs between 40 and 60 pounds must be properly secured with a child safety system that elevates the person so that a safety belt or safety harness properly fits the person. "Proper fit" means the lap belt of the safety belt or safety harness is positioned low across the thighs and the shoulder belt is positioned over the collarbone and away from the neck.The child safety system must be designed for children weighing between 40 and 60 pounds.

A child who is at least six years of age and weighs 60 pounds or more must be properly secured with a safety belt or safety harness.

Effective January 1, 2004 Senate Bill 182 exempts a child from the booster seat requirement when the rear seat of the vehicle he or she is riding in is equipped only with lap belts, provided the child is secured by the lap belt.

The offense described in this section, failure to properly use safety belts or child restraints, is a Class D traffic violation resulting in a $94.00 fine.

ORS 811.205

Effective November 2003, House Bill 2338 amended ORS 811.205 to prohibit children under 18 years of age from riding in the open bed of a pick up truck. This offense is a Class B traffic violation resulting in a $237.99 fine.

Last edited:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Okay so then it hasn't changed then. I already had those laws but was wondering if the had passed anything new this year.

U

Unregistered

Oregon?

I moved here (Texas) from Oregon and when I left I had heard rumblings about the law being changed from '6 or 60' as people referred to it, to '8 or 80'.
That was 2 years ago and though I assumed it had passed I don't know for sure. I do know the internet site that lists laws by state is not updated often and I've seen some old info on it.
C.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC