Don't know where to start looking for new double stroller, HELP!!

Synchro246

This is my first intentional visit to this forum :eek: This is going to be longish just because I want to give you all the pertinent info so you can really help me make a good choice.

I don't know if I *need* a good stroller or not, but I think I want one.

I know nothing of brands, reputations, prices, etc. I think I'd feel weird spending more than $300 on a double stroller--is it possible to get a decent one (must be easy to push & steer) for that price? If not, please tell me all the reasons why I should be OK with spending more. I'm probably easily convinced ;)

The situation/stats/info, etc:

I've got two kids currently. I'm probably going to want one or two more, but that won't be for at least 4 years and I could end up being done with just the two :)()
One is turning three next month, the other is 8 months. The older one has a lot of stamina(sp?) and enjoys doing a lot of the walking with us. He only rides in the stroller when it's unsafe or difficult to have him walking or when he gets really tired. The little one still falls asleep in the stroller and I want him to be comfortable.

We currently own a cheapie graco single stroller, which is at my house and I like it for my evening walks in my not busy neighborhood. At my mom's house we have two strollers that aren't meeting her needs.
One is a instep(I think that's the brand) sit and stand. DS1 really likes it and it suits his needs pretty well, but the sit portion does NOT meet DS2's needs at all. It's too upright, it doesn't have any head support. When he falls asleep he slumps to the side, it's just awful. He can also spaz his way into falling out, no good.
The other one is actually a bike trailer. It's apparently not very comfortable for the kids and it's going to be attached to a bike semi-permantly this weekend.
My mom has bad knees from a life time of running. She *needs* something that's easy to push and steer. If I need to pay extra for this I am willing. It's really important. She has my kids two days a week while I'm in school. I have this semester & the fall semester left. She does two outings a day.
I would love if we could get something in orange, yellow, or another bright eye-catching color as my mom does walk in a busy town with old people driving. I consider it a safety feature :p
See my siggy for my kids' weights if that's pertinent.

Guide me oh wise people :)

ETA--oh, and because this forum is a bit overwhelming to me right now (I don't know what most thread titles even mean :p) please link me to great informational threads if you know of any :D

Last edited:
ADS

skipspin

You should get an e-3. I really LOVE mine. It makes a good single, so when DD is walking I don't feel like I'm pushing around a double for no reason. It pushes like a dream with 70 lbs of kids+ library books in it when I walk to the library. I've held onto my Zooper, but really, I use my e-3 90+% of the time and I have since DS was born.

It's not "perfect" and some people don't love theirs, but I sure do. It's not he easiest thing to fold, but it's fast once you get used to it. It also takes up about the same amount of room in the back of my SUV as a single graco- just a tad wider, but flatter. I've take the wheels off and packed it flat in the space behind the driver's seat in my DH's truck as well. It doesn't have a ton of storage space, but I have packed a lot in the basket even with DS (or DD) in the lower seat. I added cup holders.

Anyway, it's worth a look.

If we get together I'll bring it ;-) Or you can come visit the store by my house that has them. (I got mine online before the store was open)

Synchro246

Is e-3 the brand? What's the store near your house?
Thanks for the imput!
Zooper? I've never heard ot that either.
This must be how outsiders feel when they first come to our site and we're saying radian this, regent that, britax britax britax, evenflo. . .

seamonkeys

I also love my Phil & Ted's E3!!! My boys are @ 3 yrs apart and it's great when the older wants/needs to ride. I usually put the back seat on even if I only have the little one - if shopping, it gives you extra storage space but doesn't make the stroller any bigger!

You should try ebay! I got mine last year for $100 cheaper than normal!

kimogilvie

I also love my Sport (the newer version of the e3 (not e3 twin - that's completely different)). It is a great stroller for closely spaced siblings! There's a sale going on now that you get teh doubles kit for free with the purchase of the main stroller.

ALso - on helpin gyou swallow the higher price tag - the P&T (Phil and Ted's) sport/e3 has a high resale value. As long as you keep you stroller in good condition - you wouldn't have a problem selling it and recouping some money. On StrollerSWAP, used ones are very difficult to come buy because they get bought up so quickly.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I adored my E3V2... my kids are 3 years apart and it was the only stroller I used on a daily basis until Aiden turned 5.5 years old.

Then I got strolleritis and bought a P3 Pramette to feed the obsession. ;)

If I can only have one stroller and have need of a double occasionally, the E3 wins hands down.

The new Sport looks fantastic. I love the adjustable handle and the recline option on the doubles seat (and the fun new colours... the green is really bright in real life)... these are all upgrades from my E3V2 (version 2).

We paid just over $700 (including doubles rain cover and pannier bags) for ours 3 years ago and I think I could get around $400 for it now. I actually need to get it listed... just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I want to try and sell it locally first as shipping scares me... the quotes I got for my Baby Jogger were ridiculous. :eek:

andbabiesmake4

Another e3 LOVER here!! With your older DS getting to the age where he's not going to use the stroller for probably more then another year or so I'd go with it.. and then when you're out & DS1 doesn't want to sit in a stroller you don't have to have the 2nd seat on (although it makes for great space for shopping bags ;) ) ... We LOVE ours. DS1 will be 4 next week and is realllly tall for his age and fits great in the front OR back.. (although technically he's "too heavy" for the back we do put him in there if he keeps hoping in & out.. even DS2 is over the back seat limit but honestly there's no way it's unsafe.) We LOVE our e3.. and they have great resale value. I'm actually selling it to the lady I babysit for once she has her 2nd bebe & I'm done babysitting her 18 mth old in April for only about $200 less then what I paid of it 2 years ago.

skipspin

The Mac TT is really nice, BUT will you want to push a double all the time? And for how long?
(You can probably also find a better deal if you don't mind one closer to a year or two old, but still in great condition, at least from what I remember from a few months ago when I was helping a friend look!)

Synchro246

So, how much would be reasonable for a used Phil & Ted's e3 single that can be a double? Or the newer "sport", which I don't expect to find used . . .

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I have the Mac TT as my airplane stroller... honestly the E3 is waaayyy nicer. :)

I love the narrowness of it, the toddler seat in toddler/toddler mode makes an *excellent* basket if no child is using it, the pannier bags hold the *world*, and it pushes really well... it even makes a triple in a pinch. One in the main seat, one in the toddler seat and one on the footwell of the main seat AND still pushes not too badly. :)

Lex

I love my Mountain Buggy Urban Double. I have a 2005 model in orange dot fabric and I love how the stroller gets attention from cars. If you could find an older model, you may be able to get one for close to $300. I went through 8 other twin strollers before I finally found the MBUD, and I stopped looking. It is so easy to push, and I never feel like it's "too big."

If I were in your shoes, I'd want to try out both the MBUD and the P+T e3. I think those are your best options.

HTH!

Lex

AliRR

That is a Dreamer Design...I have one but mine is a little different. So maybe that is the Ditto? Mine is the Manhattan Deluxe Double and it has two smaller front wheels, one under each foot rest and they lock or swivel. It is a beast though, nothing small about it. My kids are 3 and 10 months and it is a great stroller for big use, like walks or anything where we have to wait in line for awhiel (we took it when we went to see Santa) but is bulky and a pitb for quick trips. I don't usually take it in the mall or really use it when I'm by myself at all.

skaterbabs

:twocents:

Don't get a tandem. HATED mine. The side-by-side was sooooo much easier to steer. Tandem = school bus, SBS = Suburban. lol

With the boys I had the Graco SBS (I think it's only available online now) . In 1998 it ran about $130. lol We were really happy with it (back in the '90s Graco made VERY, VERY nice strollers. The quality today is NOTHING like it was then.)

If I were to puchase a double today, I'd probably go with a Maclaren for "light" use and a double jogger for "heavy duty" or "all day" (aka, packing the whoel house to take with you. lol)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think the Graco Duorider is the same old stroller from before, they just keep changing the colors. That's a great cheap SBS, I got one for my 6 and 4 yo to push them to school on heavy gravel and it was a dream to push!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC