Can I just vent? Ergh. Re: Misuse. More like Nonuse.

nylle

OK. I lurk here way more than I post...I manage a baby gear store in Florida and am the CPST here as well. I love my job! I am lucky to get paid doing what I love! But then someone like this comes in and I get incredibly depressed.

Our other store (we have two locations) called me today because there was a woman in the store with a 12 month old who wanted to turn him forward facing. I spoke to her on the phone and gave her a quick rundown on why rfing is safer, and even keeping him rear facing a few more months would be a step in the right direction.

She was not receptive to me at all on the phone, and said the the pedi said to turn him and that his feet would be crushed. Fine, you get people like that, I advised her to do her own research but please to look into it, and got off the phone.

But that wasn't the bad part. They called me back after she left and said that her 12 month old was riding in a booster seat. Not even a combo seat....a Booster! She said that I didn't know what I was talking about and that I was just lying to make her feel bad. I don't know the baby's stats, so I don't know if he outgrew the bucket or she was just bored or what, but...man! She was apprently there to get a new booster. (If they had told me this before I talked to her, I probably would have just pushed for a harness and let the rfing go, but I didn't know).

Oh my goodness! I am shaking right now thinking of that little baby in a booster seat. As much as I love what I do, I hate the parts like this.

Anyway, just venting. =) Thanks for listening. I couldn't get back to work until I had gotten it off my chest.

Ellyn

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I manager a Baby Depot. We had a mom with a 3 month old that didn't understand why she kept getting pulled over. She had the baby in a booster.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
No, it was foward facing. I had another tech that worked with me, she ran out and check the car as it was driving away. She called the police.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I couldn't believe it. I think that was the worst I dealt with, well that and the dad the wanted a front pack, so baby could ride on the motorcycle with him.

keri1292

Judi ~ Please stop. No more stories. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Can't take it.

Where is the vomiting smilie when you need it? :thumbsdown:

Also, for some reason the phrase..."Here's your sign" keeps poppin' in my head. :whistle:

nylle

It must be the day of insane people. After the previous incident, I had a couple come in who had no idea their 6 month old was supposed to be rear facing. They had him ff in an Eddie Baur 3 in 1. The wife asked me to help them install it rfing, and I said yes.

The husband was so incredibly rude to me...everything I said he questioned in a rude manner, and then he said I was in the way. He had a brand new car with a freaking CAMERA looped on the driver headrest so that they could watch the baby without turning their heads, and apparently I bumped into it(trying to find a way to fit the 3 in 1 where he wanted it in the car) and he told me off. The wife just kept looking at me apologetically but didn't say a word. He ended up pretty much saying that he didn't need my help and to get out of the car, so I did. The 3 in 1 was NOT going in there correctly, but what can you do when someone orders you out? I feel terrible for that wife and baby.

Ellyn

skipspin

It must be a Florida thing...

Some days it's just easier to stay home, isn't it? (Well, if you don't wantch TV, or get online, or watch out the window...)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Not just a Florida thing. I had parents today that said that their Dr told them their 9(ish) month old needed the Ff because he was 20 lbs and that an OHS was the best seat to get. They would not listen to reason.

HEVY

I would have asked for the docs name and number in a nonchalant way. As for the dad with the camera I would have taken down his license plate number.

amyg530

i really wish pedis would stop giving their opinon on carseats bc thats all it is, theres rarely any facts involved. just diariha of the mouth:whistle:

nylle

I would have asked for the docs name and number in a nonchalant way. As for the dad with the camera I would have taken down his license plate number.

That would have been a good idea. Unfortunately, in the first case I was just on the phone for a couple of minutes and in the second, I was too flaming mad. Hindsight. lol.

Ellyn

Splash

I'll come into your store with my properly restrained baby and let you have a good story to tell, okay?

I almost did the other day, actually. But I think you were closed by the time I was there (for fried pickles).

mommy4girls

Senior Community Member
I was at a check where a mom came in with her not-quite-one year old beautiful baby girl and wanted her forward facing. The CHP officer who got the car did it :( I even went and spoke to the mom about it (the last check I was at with this officer I convinced a mom with a 15m/o, I think, I convinced the mom to turn her ds). The mom got angry with me and told me she was turning her no matter what. I was so angry. The worst part was the news crew was there video taping the officer installing this baby's car seat forward facing :mad:

We had a check one time where an officer left and went after someone, I wish I could remember why though!

nylle

I'll come into your store with my properly restrained baby and let you have a good story to tell, okay?

I almost did the other day, actually. But I think you were closed by the time I was there (for fried pickles).

Sounds good to me! I would love to see you guys!Today was a better day, actually, lots of newborns. Still a lot of misuse, but the parents were more receptive and I can start planting the erf seeds now. lol.

I tried to take a nap yesterday afternoon and I couldn't stop thinking about that husband. Yuck. Still mad over that. I heard this morning that they were in the parking lot for a LONG time after I left yesterday...which doesn't surpriseme, with a 3 in 1 and no manual! There is no way that seat was correct. Oh well, can't win em all, I guess.

Btw...Splash, were you there for the Whistle Stop? We are friends of the owners and eat there all the time! We lived about 3 blocks from there until last month. Anyway, love that place.

Ellyn

Last edited:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
We had someone come through the area where we were having a check. He was drinking a beer, while driving. Empty car seat in the back.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC