Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Smile Glad to see I'm not the only RF mom out there!

My 2 1/2 yr. old son is still RF in his Britax Marathon. Ever since he turned 1 yr. old my family has "teased" me about not turning him around. My sister went so far as to mention it to her visiting sister-in-law as an example of my "overly obsessive behavior regarding safety." They ask me all the time, "How long are you going to make him stay facing backwards?" and "He looks so uncomfortable." and "His legs are going to cramp." etc. BTW, the same sister stopped using even a booster seat for her daughter by the time she was six, even though I believe Florida law requires some sort of seat until the child is eight.
    Here where I live, I am the ONLY mom I know who hasn't turned their child around after 1 Yr. old, and sometimes I feel like a freak - like I'm overprotective and overreacting. I'm glad to know there are other parents out there who feel the same as I do about their child's safety.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Glad to see I'm not the only RF mom out there!

Welcome! Sounds like you'll fit right in.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

Welcome! Glad you no longer feel alone. For what it is worth, I am far far far far from being overprotective, and my 3 year old is still RF!

Ignore their comments, you know you're doing the right thing and that's all that matters. Great job keeping your kiddo rear-facing!

My son was rear-facing until 3 years, 8 days old (never rode FF at all until then) and his little brother is still rear-facing at 21 months (has never ridden FF). Most of us here practice extended rear-facing, so you're definitely in the right place. Welcome to the board!
    Mom to P (9), J (almost 8), & E (2.5)

My son RF until he was just over 2 years old (and reached the weight limit of his seat). Most other toddlers I knew had been turned at their first birthdays, but fortunately no one gave me any grief about my decision. I say good for you!

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Welcome to the boards!

My own child was only RF until 13 months and 25ish pounds because I didn't know any better. I vaguely knew her seat (Cosco Alpha Omega 3-in-1) RFd to 35 pounds, but I also knew that all the doctors we saw, all the magazine articles, all my friends and family said they're supposed to be turned FF at 1 year old as long as they're already 20 pounds. Since my child was bigger than average (both taller and heavier) I figured it was fine.

I didn't find this place until she was 2 and hovering at 33-35 pounds. Knowing what I know now, I'd have kept her RF until that point, but I found out too late.

It's too bad when friends and family give us such a hard time for protecting our kids as best as possible from the biggest thread to their health and lives.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

CPS Technician

Pssst... There's even some Dad's here that keep their kids RF.
    Ian James - 3.5 Years
    FF Learning Curve Truefit and FF Britax RA

Senior Community Member

Welcome! Please don't second guess yourself for a second. My dd will be RF for as long as possible and I know I'll have a lot of criticism my way (since I already do). I don't care. I know my child is safe and that's what matters! Plus, if we as parents give in to peer pressure, then what kind of example are we setting?
    DD 5.5yo, 38lbs, 43" - FF in a Radian XT and Frontier85 SICT
    DS 3yo, 33lbs, 38" - RF in Radian XT and Britax MT

Welcome!! My 2 year old is still RF. I get the same looks to!!
    DS 9 years old, 57# 50.5in in a Evenflo Amp LBB 01 Honda Accord, Graco TB LBB 03 Honda Pilot
    DD 6 years old 43.5# 44in Recaro ProBooster 01 Honda Accord, Britax Frontier85 03 Honda Pilot

My DD will be 1 yr old the second week of Feb. and I can't wait till I can change my info at the bottom to ERF. She is way to important to just turn her FF cause she is a year old. Everyone around her turns there child way to early IMO. I will keep her RF till she hits the 33# limit in her MA. I am glad to say that I have changed my older sisters mind too. Her DD turned 1 this week and she is going to keep her RF as long as she is under the 33# limit. Don't feel like you are alone, there are many of us on here that keep our kids ERF..
    Andrea SAHM to
    W~2/2007
    C~11/2008
    J~2/2010

Welcome! My two year old is rearfacing too! He loves it.
    Angie mama to R 4 years, 33 lbs/38 inches in a radian
    W 7 years,66 lbs/51 inches in a parkway
    M 9 years, 58 lbs/51 inches in a parkway

Quote Originally Posted by jarrettsmom9705 View Post
    Here where I live, I am the ONLY mom I know who hasn't turned their child around after 1 Yr. old, and sometimes I feel like a freak - like I'm overprotective and overreacting. I'm glad to know there are other parents out there who feel the same as I do about their child's safety.
    Hehe, you never know there might be a member on this forum that lives near you

Welcome to the Forum!
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way