Graco Seat installs with lap only forward of seat crease

mburks26

Im looking for Techs for this one anyone else is fine to but would like a few techs responses as well

I have looked at almost all the users instrusctions on line for all Graco seats and they all seam to say you can not use lap only belf forward of the seat crease. The ComfortSport says not to use lap shoulder or lap only belts forward of seat crease unless its ok from the manufactor of the car and you get less then 1 inch move ment.

I have a Cargo and I needed to put in center of our 2003 Ford F150 Supercrew Truck. Seats are allowed in all 3 spots in back. I have lap only belt in middle that is a ALR (pull it out and it locks) the female end is foward of the seat crease and the male end is a little bit not much maybe two fingers side by side.
We are going on a trip and I will need to take her seat out of the truck (didnt want to mess with latch and tether since it takes us forever to loosen the latch and I have to fold down the seat to unhook tether dh is droping us off and then hes going somewhere else so I needed to use seat belt for a quick uninstall)
I went a head and used the middle and got a rock the truck install is this ok or not I asked on another board and they said there shouldnt be an issue if you can get a proper install

Is having any Graco Seat in middle lap only belt forward of seat crease ok as long as you get a proper install. I am thinking about getting the new Graco harness booster seat when dd is 3.5-4 and when shes with grandma they have the same truck minus latch 2001 model and they put her in middle.

ADS

LuvBug

what does the manual that came with that specific seat say? If it says it is ok, your vehicle manual says it is ok, and you can get an acceptable install- then it is ok.

mburks26

all Graco seats say not to use lap only belt forward of seat crease (there is one Graco seat that says not to use lap and shoulder belts or lap only belts forward of seat crease unless the vehicle allows it and you get less then one ich of movement)
the vehicle allows seats in all three spots in the back
Im not going to be able to use any Graco seats in the middle of any of our cars even if they are rock the car solid side to side and front to back (i had a Graco infant seat didnt have the manual and got rock solid in the middle lap only belt forward of seat crease)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I'd call Graco and ask their opinion on this one. It sounds like the manual was written by lawyers trying to cover all the bases.

It doesn't make sense why you can't use a forward of the seat bight belt if it's a good install. My advice is to phone Graco.

LuvBug

correct, that is not good. Like Jen said call the manufacturer, but according to the manual it is a no.

Do you have any non-graco seats by chance?

mburks26

correct, that is not good. Like Jen said call the manufacturer, but according to the manual it is a no.

Do you have any non-graco seats by chance?

I do but it wont fit in the other car. Dh is droping me and dd at grandmas(the othe grandma) house having our truck for the 3-4 days is not an option, and they have a 1999 TransAm I have a Evenflo Generations and it will not install in that car at all. I have tried at least 10 times. I checked the car seat list where it says what car, what seat works with what and for a 1999 Firebird (same as TransAm) the Cargo was the only seat that works.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My understanding looking at Graco manuals in the past is that they're talking about seatbelts REALLY far forward of the seat bite. 1 to 2" for the seatbelt stalk if you can get a tight install is not something I'd have a problem with. Most carseat manuals I've looked at recently have the really far forward of the seatbite seatbelts listed as an incompatible seatbelt type.

They also list lap belts that are only ELR as incompatible, when a tech with a belt shortening clip can make it an acceptable location to install a seat. But since a parent can't, they say not to use a seating location with that type of belt. ;)

My :twocents: - FWIW, is that a couple inches isn't something that I'd consider way forward of the seat bite, and if you're getting a tight install then the proof is in the pudding so to speak. :thumbsup: (The seatbelt isn't having to go backwards towards the belt path is it? If a seatbelt is far enough forward of the bite that that was happening I can see it being an issue - but that's a whole lot more than 1 or 2" if I'm understanding you right.)

mburks26

here is a pic of my back seat.

2582334996_226986907_IM1_09_565x421.jpg

Graco wanted pics so I emaild them pics the only thing they said before I sent them pics was if both ends of the belt look like the pic on page 13 and that alr belts were fine to use. what is the differnce between lap only forward of the seat crease and lap with shoulder belt forward of the seat crease. If you can see that the female ends for the lap only belt and the passenger lap with shoulder belt are right next to each other in the same place I get no movement installs with either. but i have to take off the head reast for outboard install.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC